myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Reply from ProMotion Wetsuits
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
promotion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply from ProMotion Wetsuits Reply with quote

A few years ago we did have a problem with one of our materials called Glide Skin. We test all of our materials before going into production, but this problem was one that had never been seen before in the industry. Glide Skin was developed for added wind chill protection. This material was used in the chest and back panels of our windsurf models. When the wetsuit was turned inside out (how most of us leave our wetsuits), and stored in a hot area for a long period of time (a car with the windows rolled up), the material had the potential to weld to itself. This was a shock to us because we only learned about the problem after our customers experienced the problem. The original material supplier did not reimburse us in any way. We took the full hit at our expense in working through the problem. To help our customers, we offered to repair or replace the bad material, and also offered a wholesale discount coupon on a future wetsuit purchase. For the remaining problem wetsuits still in stock, we discounted them, put warning labels in them, and told potential customer how to keep this from happening. We have long since resolved the material problem and fortunately, most people take reasonable care of their gear. We have been around since the beginning of the sport and are still the only local company that offers a repair service department, where customers can come in if they have a problem with a wetsuit. Thanks the opportunity to reply. The ProMotion Wetsuit Crew.

promotion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After working at Promotion for a number of years, I would have to say we have always been fair, and extremely reasonable to work with. We try to take care of our customer on a personal level.

The customer starting the negative thread, came into our shop with his wetsuit two years after he bought it, and in his words…has small tears where the wetsuit had stuck. He wanted a full refund. We treated him respectfully and tried to give him reasonable options that would make most people happy. Our response time was appropriate due to how busy the shop is this time of year.

At Promotion we are honestly looking out for the best interest of our customers in a more than fair trade off if they have a problem. We fix old wetsuits long after they should be retired and try our best to keep them out of the landfill.

Sue
spryish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to marketing fluff,

Then we should assume the litany of other responses also with poor experiences in product, service and warranty are simply bogus?

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20677&highlight=promotion
forwards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I have been happy with our many promotion suits and service over the years, and will continue to do business with them. They have done repairs on suits long past their prime and have been good about doing extra rip and seam repairs at n/c. We believe in supporting local HR businesses and they have earned our loyalty.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where else can you find the selection of sizes and styles plus the reasonable warranty and repairs?? Can't please everyone. Rolling Eyes
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with forwards. Promotion makes a good product and has always treated me and my friends well.

Attitude is everything.

KMF
brianmiller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Promotion,

Last summer my wife bought a full Promotion suit. We were warned about the discounted Glide Skin product, so we did not buy that version and paid the extra (normal price) for the non-stick version. Three weeks ago, the suit stuck to itself while turned inside out in the car. There are now multiple small tears in the suit where it was stuck together. So, two questions come to mind:

1. Is it possible that as this newer, no-stick material ages, it also becomes prone to sticking? This suit is now a year old and did not stick last year.

2. Suppose that this suit needs to go on a long, 3 day trip in the car (which it does). To prevent this from happening again, is not having it inside out really sufficient prevention? Even when the suit is right-side out, there's still rubber-on-rubber if it's folded on itself at all. It seems as though the suit needs to be laid out flat, or very carefully wrapped in towels, or vacuum sealed in the cone of silence.

Thank you for your time.

Brian
promotion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Under the right set of circumstances, our older "shiny" smoothskin material can stick to itself. We have not noticed that the problem gets any worse (or better) as the suit ages.
In your case, it probably just took one year before all of the conditions required for the sticking happened at the same time.
Over the years, we have noticed some recurring factors that lead to the sticking. If you remove one or more of the factors, the sticking problem can usually be avoided.

#1 - Moisture: The suit needs to be wet (or at least damp) to begin with.
We have tested dry material in our heat press and it does not stick.

#2 - Time: The suit will not stick instantly, it needs time to dry.
Most of the suits with problems were put away wet and left for days, weeks, or even months.

#3 - Pressure: The material needs to be squeezed against itself. It doesn't really matter if the suit is inside out or right side out folded over on itself. We have yet to hear of a suit that has stuck while stored hanging from a hanger.

#4 - Heat: Most of the sticking has occurred in hot conditions. Heat will speed the drying time (see #2) so extra care should be taken to insure that your suit is not stored improperly in hot weather.

If you can return your wife's suit to us, we should be able to repair the small tears due to the sticking at no charge on a one year old suit.

The ProMotion Crew
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a better wetsuit than the ProMotions I now have, and I started surfing in 1971. As for sticking problems -- All 5 of my wife's and my suits spent the entire off-season folded snugly in our wetsuit bag in the van here in Southern Cal. It gets mighty toasty down here sometimes, and I haven't seen the slightest bit of stickyness yet (1 1/2 yrs.). We are careful to dry them thoroughly before they go in the bag.
brianmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotion,

Sounds fair enough. We'll be in contact.

Thanks,
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: