myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to windsurf in SF?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sashapost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: where to windsurf in SF? Reply with quote

I came to San Francisco from Boston for this week. I'd like to try to windsurf here. I am beginner in this sport. (And also I've just joined iWindsurf community.) I am learning to plane, use harness, etc. So far I sailed in light to moderate winds in Boston & Cape Cod. Any suggestions about a place to rent equipment & windsurf in Bay Area (accessible by public transportation)?
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: boardsports at coyote point or alemeda Reply with quote

I don't think you are going to find anything in San Francisco itself . And I doubt that you are going to find public transport to get there.
The actual sailing spots in San Francisco are for the advanced such as Crissy Field or Treasure Island. There are a lot less shops that offer lessons or Rentals than there used to be.
http://www.boardsportsschool.com/BS2010/
you could call these guys and see what they say
vh24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Cal Sailing Club Berkeley is possible Reply with quote

You can take the 51 AC Transit Bus from the downtown Berkeley BART station. You pay the Cal Sailing Club a one time fee of $75. for as long as you are here up to three months, no other fee. You go as much as you can and make as much progress as is possible given the instruction is mostly voluntary. Conditions inside the Break area are beginner friendly.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyote Point: lessons, rentals, safe, warmer, good place to progress. Is it Boardsports there?
sashapost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try Cal Sailing Club & Coyote Point.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your wetuit and harness in a backpack, and head to the Cal sailing club. What a deal, and you won't harm the environment. (unless you breath) Smile
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the Cal Saliing Club is a co-op/club and not your classic rental outfit. In addition to paying your $75 quarterly dues, you have to pass a written test, self-rescue test, and perform two hours of work service... and there may be some other things involved too. If you're here for a week, you can probably bang all of it out in a day, and we're headed into a pattern favorable to Berkeley this week.

Another option is Cal Adventures, which is in the Berkeley Marina and does hourly rentals.

Or, if you want one-on-one lessons, you can hire Jason Voss and rent gear from him... www.jrvwindsurfing.com

And there is also Boardsports School in Alameda and Coyote Point.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Surfmoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don`t mind if I hijack this thread. I will be in SF in late August for two weeks and will probably bring my gear and I want to check out as many spots as possible.

What kind of gear would you recommend (110 pound surfer, owning a 90l Freestyle, 84l Freestyle Wave, 77l Freestyle Wave, 60l Wave)?
What are the most interesting spots and where can I find forecasts for them?
Is there anyone I could join to go out with? My boyfriend does not windsurf and I`d feel more comfortable to be out on the water with someone (depending on the spot though).

Thanks for your help.. BTW. boardsportsschool has been very helpful to me, you should contact them.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't driving Coyote Point is a little bit of a beast to get to.

Cheapest way is to take the BART to SFO (airport). Get on the Hilton Hotel bus. It is the Hilton that is located on airport blvd in Burlingame, make sure you look like you are staying!

When you get off at the hotel follow these directions, sound more complicated than they are.

From the Hilton cross the street (Airport Blvd) and make a left south on the sidewalk and start walking towards the bridge to your left that crosses by the Sherman (restaurant on a boat that is on the same side as the Hilton).

As you walk along the sidewalk south you'll pass a couple of large office buildings. When you get to the last one, and before the bridge, you'll see a footpath along the canal inlet that you will walk to your right and follow along the Canal.

It is only a two min walk and you'll see Virgin America's building on your right, stay straight.

When you can't go any further make a left over the small bridge that crosses the canal and just stay straight heading south. You'll walk through a parking lot with warehouses on either side that connects to the street. The street is Beach Road and only about a 90 second walk to the end.

At the end of Beach Road you'll be looking straight into the bay. If you look to the right about 500/600 feet you'll see flags blowing on a building on the waterfront, that is the boardsports school and rental.

To get to the school, just cross the street, make a right on the footpath and follow the trail as it wraps around and it will bring you to the school. Should be warm and it is a pretty area.

Door to door from the city is about one hour, including the walk.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sound like a broken record and echo a few other folks, Cal Adventures and Cal Sailing Club is a great way to go. Berkeley is a perfect spot for someone at your skill level, it's like a giant play-pen for windsurfers. There's even a skiff that'll come out and get you if you end up struggling. If you join the club, you can ask folks for tips and simple lessons (it's part of their 2 hours of volunteering).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: