myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board got away from me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: board got away from me Reply with quote

here's a heartwarming article about a guy who rescued me.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100728/NEWS/7280322/1004/TOWN03

for the record, I was neither lonely nor despairing; I was confident I would reach land, but it was nice not to have to swim the last 500 feet. It was very nice that the fire dept showed up, because they got my board and rig.

I got separated from my board in 2008, swam to shore, lost the board and rig. I think the problem is I am older and can't swim fast for very long.

today was windy and I sailed with a leash. What a pain in the butt! But: having experienced the alternatives, I accept the inconvenience.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: board got away from me Reply with quote

braden wrote:
I got separated from my board in 2008, swam to shore, lost the board and rig. I think the problem is I am older and can't swim fast for very long.

Whenever I fall and release my boom on a windy day, I instantly look to see whether the gear fell with board upright, nose downwind, mast across the wind, and clew upwind. If it did, I sprint flat out for the gear while it's still close. Otherwise there's usually plenty of time.

Age, within reason, can be outsmarted with proper diet and exercise. The age group which responds most quickly to weight lifting is people over 90, and endurance can respond very strongly as well at any age. Some good training books, a few consultations with a good trainer, and a couple of hours a week in the gym can take decades off one's "athletic age". Modern exercise techniques provide quicker and much better benefits in a tiny fraction of the time compared to Ye Olde Obligatory 3 sets of 10 reps for strength and hours of aerobic/cardio work for endurance, and work for all age groups.

Mike \m/
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy glad it turned out OK.
Sounds like the guy who rescued you was rewarded with
that wonderful "pass it forward" karma. You may not have been in
desperate need, but I bet it felt good climbing into a boat. (cramping)

I was out last last Wed. and had just returned from a crossing of
Buzzard's Bay, when my two part mast base decided to separate...
Thank God my back foot was stuck in the strap. There's no way I would
have caught my board before my rig sank. Good timing and good luck.

A leash for you, a one piece base for me. Cool
Dean

LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a moderate speed swimmer, used to swim backstroke for BerkeleyRec and Parks.
Lightwind day, about 16-22, my lower stainless pin snapped below the uni joint. Tiga 251 takes off straight downwind, as I do immediately. Swell and wind is just perfect to never break on the tail of the board, and 200 strokes later (freestyle crawl), I get within 5', but tire out. Cutie finally kicks my board sideways and waits for my next 200 backstrokes to get to board.
Now I can't thank her enough, but my rig is about 1,000 feet upwind, so I sprint paddle up maybe 500 strokes directly against the swell and wind to find my rig submerged about 2', nothing poking out of the water. Lucky there.
After tying my rig onto the board at the mast track area with my uphaul and the tail of my downhaul, first waterstart rotates the mast off the side of the board, for another 5 minute attempt.
Luckily, rescue boat wanders out and asks if I really need rescue. Silly me says "yes", I've swum enough today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: