myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Attending Calls while Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKNY123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Attending Calls while Windsurfing Reply with quote

Im an executive Officer of a multinational Company, i love windsurfing alot but when it comes to getting calls, i eventually get calls every ten minutes, i get distracted by the calls and get to my call everytime.

I dont get the chance of windsurfing at all. Need some type of device which would enable me to talk while windsurfing at the same time or when i am in rest in the water.

Would be grateful if anyone would help me in this.

Thanks Very Happy
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquapaq. http://www.amazon.com/Aquapac-Waterproof-Case-iPhone-Droid/dp/B001G5A4JA

Etc.
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Aquapaq. http://www.amazon.com/Aquapac-Waterproof-Case-iPhone-Droid/dp/B001G5A4JA

Etc.

Is there a waterproof head-set with in-line remote yet?
Not that I would be making business calls from the water...

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Florian! For all those who don't dare get away:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/516109-REG/Countryman_MHHW5HH05BLW_Isomax_Headset_Microphone_with.html
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's important to get away from the job. Leisure time to invest in our personal lives is sorely needed, both for yourself and those close to you.

When you really think about it, any good manager needs to depend on his employees for solid and meaningful success. Looks like you're missing an excellent opportunity to delegate to others.

Work isn't everything, not by a long shot, and don't wait until you have a heart attack to find out.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Attending Calls while Windsurfing Reply with quote

The technology to do this certainly exists. Get yourself a Wireless Bluetooth
head set and couple it to your cel phone stored in a waterproof
pouch. You'll have to adapt the headset so that it doesn't come off in a
crash (like with a head band or something). In fact, you could probably
mount a stereo set inside a helmet and put a heads up display on the visor,
so that you could watch company metrics while sailing.

I can design this system for you of you like.

Just make sure you add a rotating red light to the top of your head
so that we can see you coming from a long way off. ;*)

-Craig

DKNY123 wrote:
Im an executive Officer of a multinational Company, i love windsurfing alot but when it comes to getting calls, i eventually get calls every ten minutes, i get distracted by the calls and get to my call everytime.

I dont get the chance of windsurfing at all. Need some type of device which would enable me to talk while windsurfing at the same time or when i am in rest in the water.

Would be grateful if anyone would help me in this.

Thanks Very Happy
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about quitting your job?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Have you thought about quitting your job?

Yes Yes! Obama will give you 99 weeks of unemployment checks.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being preachy and even harsh, a few random suggestions/tips if waterproof cellphone technology (a bandaid, IMO) won't suffice:

Delegate.

Anyone so indispensable puts the company in jeopardy.

If you have no employee who can handle 99% of those calls for days at a time, hire and train one. I really enjoyed watching and helping the young engineers I hired quickly mature from shy college kids to self-assured adults fully capable of managing multimillion-dollar programs and going toe-to-toe with the brass. My approach? Letting them "handle 99% of those calls for days at a time". i.e., give them tons of responsibility and authority and juuuuuust enough help that they don't crumble, praise them publicly when they succeed, and take 100% of the blame if they screw up due to inexperience. Results include a trail of great employees, a sounder organization with greater depth, and shred time for me.

Which is ultimately more important to you personally ... every one of those phone calls, or escaping them occasionally? If the former, how will the corporation survive when you crack up before you turn 50?

My closest lifelong friend achieved national acclaim in his field ... and saw his children a few days a month between birth and college. Hope it was worth it to him; I guarantee it wasn't to his kids. My Dad was a lifelong slave to the multinational corporation of which he was a VP on a fast track to the presidency. I saw the jerk so seldom I literally hardly cared when he died.

Does your company collapse when you're asleep, or at a movie, or in church, or at your kid's ball game? (I don't think my sorry excuse for a Dad even knew I played ball.)

Most people who think they are always indispensable to any large organization are wrong. By far the biggest bottleneck in one multibillion-dollar program I worked with was a manager who thought he had to be involved in every decision. Even iconic leaders like Werhner von Braun, Jack Welsh, and Bill Gates had competent backup for the short term.

HOWEVER ... more power to anyone who has found a career s/he enjoys more than high-powered recreation. I envy that ... unless they have a family.

Mike \m/

Last edited by isobars on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mans point is that he already delegates and others delegate to him. He has to take some calls as do I and wouldn't mind sailing at times until something he is being paid to do comes along.
I run a windsurf store which is closed when it is blowing.
Often thats when clients come in. If they could call me...
I tried a phone in a waterproof case but they at least mine doesn't stay dry hitting the water at 30mph or in a big wash out in the waves. I think they are more for sports like kayaks and sailboats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: