myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Multi Fin Confusion.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2,

Check out the fin configuration of Open Oceans at the following website.

http://www.openocean.com/oo.htm

I thought maybe you saw one of my Open Oceans at the Delta last year, but I guess not. Brian Hinde will either glass-on the side fins or install the finboxes for them. The one thing about the finboxes though, they only allow vertical mounting of the side fins. To achieve the cant as depicted in photos on the website, Brian had custom fins manufactured where the cant is achieved in the fin body itself and not in the base. If you look at one out of the finbox, they are very bent looking.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler, I remember now, they are glassed on ?

really don't show much on the OO site, most boards don't have a center fin, so you can get no relationship with size.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I'm not in a position to be able to try and compare all the options ... the choice narrows to either a good single fin ... or a good trifin (Chakra) with bigger main and smaller thrusters, for stronger winds. ... As for medium winds ... when funds allow... Kona

Given that you're favoring a "normal" board (a choice I can't ague with in your venue) as opposed to a rapidly evolving and not necessarily superior newer style, you may as well save 50% by buying a lightly used or at least a closeout board -- often shipped free. I can't imagine anyone this side of pro competition NEEDING a new current model "normal" board, and that pro is sponsored anyway. There's also no way I'm committing $2,000 to a board I've never test ridden at length. Put the thousand you save into the Kona ... on sale soon.

Mike \m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2,

Yeah, the board you very likely saw had glassed on fins, although I had another in a bag with the little finboxes. However, the one you saw has smaller than normal side fins, unlike both the larger glassed-on and finbox fins ones on my 8'2"s over the years.

For some recent photos on the iWindsurf forum, you can check one on izitwindy?'s post on the following thread.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20833&start=15

Also, check out the crane.jpg photo that Mike Godsey (windfind) included on the newly added "Windsurfing is Cancelled" video thread. It depicts an OO, or it looks that way to me. There may be more shots in the video, but I can't play the video on my computer due to an older browser and the lack of needed software upgrade.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
U2U2U2,

Yeah, the board you very likely saw had glassed on fins, although I had another in a bag with the little finboxes. However, the one you saw has smaller than normal side fins, unlike both the larger glassed-on and finbox fins ones on my 8'2"s over the years.

For some recent photos on the iWindsurf forum, you can check one on izitwindy?'s post on the following thread.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20833&start=15

Also, check out the crane.jpg photo that Mike Godsey (windfind) included on the newly added "Windsurfing is Cancelled" video thread. It depicts an OO, or it looks that way to me. There may be more shots in the video, but I can't play the video on my computer due to an older browser and the lack of needed software upgrade.

HA! I thought so myself. I asked mike for a higher res. photo. They obviously jump just fine. Wink
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, jumping is more about the attitude and input of the sailor rather than which brand, or whether the lightest board, is best. That's not to say that a notable benefit might not be possible with different brands or light weight. Clearly though, even a heavy board like OOs can style big time.
phazle5499

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at Art Colyer's custom quad fin at http://www.northpacificsurf.com. Art has been shaping boards in Hood River for about 15 years and brings a wealth of experience from shaping the old Hi-Techs and surfboards that are popular on the Oregon coast. He brings design and shaping ideas from surfing into dthe design and shaping ideas for windsurfing. His boards are probably not what someone would want for their local pond back home, but his tri fins and quads rip in gorge conditions. Lets face it, we are led by the nose by production board designs, marketing and technology. What are we supposed to make of a production, generic "wave board". Don't waves differ from location to location and from rider to rider requiring different shapes for different riders and locations? Surfers have known this for ages, relying on local shapers to provide what is needed for their spots. But marketing and advertising have led windsurfers to believe that a generic "wave board" will serve the purpose of riding "waves" everywhere--in the gorge, at your local pond or in Maui. The reason why you don't find many Open Oceans, Cascades or North Pacifics outside of the gorge is because they are shaped for the local conditions in the gorge. It's a shame that production boards punched out of the same mold at some factory in Thailand and called "wave boards" or "Free-style boards" have driven out of business so many local board shapers.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! Coming from a surfing background originally I know only too well the 'custom built for the location and particular surfer' way of the world. I had a custom tri fin wave ski built some years back (and still use it) when keeping up with the high performance short board gang proved too difficult. I preferred to mellow out!

I don't buy into the idea that all breaks are so different that mass produced windsurfing wave boards can't work in the majority of places.My old battered and now falling apart Evo works well enough wherever I take it, if only the bloody wind cooperates. I simply want a replacement that will last as long, and do likewise.

The custom tri-fin ski has characteristics that I like a lot, so it's easy to see why tri-fin windsurf wave boards are so well liked by those who use them. But cost (over here) is a big problem, and custom boards are not discounted. It looks as though a new updated Evo will be the way to go.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just through sheer ignorance, but I've enjoyed the hell out of many "Gorge-specific" custom sinkers in lakes all over the country. As long as it goes fast and turns hard and jumps and rides smoothly, I don't care who shaped or assembled it nor where he did so. Isn't that strange?

OTOH, them little Gorge sinkers are a PITA on the Oregon coast and at The Wall in NW winds, when the wind has more holes than an abused Cobra factory board. Likewise, my Evo is going to last me for a decade because it's one harsh, even dangerous, little beast when overpowered in Gorge chop; it gets used primarily when the winds are unusually steady, the water is unusually smooth, and I'm powered unusually lightly.

So while there are valid points to the claim that local boards have advantages, many people apply that mantra too universally.

Mike \m/
gemoore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Multifin boards typically need a very vertical stance. If you are used to leaning out over the water for max lift off of a board and a single large fin, you may not like a multi fin board. Additionally, the upwind abilities of multi's is not good, because of that very different sailing style. Onshore ugly conditions require instant accelerations, and lots of power to go upwind to get backside cutbacks. Shoot, my 85 liter boards rarely come out of the car anymore because I prefer the extra power to smack the lip, back side with a larger board. Smaller ones, single or multi have no power by comparison.

Meanwhile, the larger cross venue and onshore wave boards have improved so much that I can handle mine in gales. So, what's the need of extra boards, (smaller) or fins for that matter? Not in my real world spot here in FL.

Multi's feel great going down the line frontside, but stink getting back upwind when barely powered. If you have a reef or point break, or tons of wind that's common, then perhaps a multi is right for you. In FL, they will not be used that much. Another trap that snares folks into getting yet another rarely used wall fixture.

I have a Kona 11'5" en route to me, largely because of your reviews on it in various forums.

My intended use is primarily light wind / swell sailsurfing (not sure what else to call it) on Lake Ontario. We often get residual swells and/or ~10 kt winds with 1-1/2 to occasional 2 foot swells that I've ridden with my Pacifico Wave and various sail sizes. Once it gets to ~13 kts and 2-3 footers, I switch to a *board Aero 117 and 8.0 SuperFreak (a combo made for each other and very sweet in small and close-coupled great lake swells).

For swell-surfing, I'm inclined to leave the straps off, to facilitate wandering around on the board. Of course, this is all onshore mush, so what fin would you advise? I agree in such conditions you need a bit of ooomph. In recent years I've become a devotee of the TA Surfgrass, and would be inclined to try that....I kind-a wish the 11'5" was Powerbox instead of US so I could go slightly bigger.

Most sail surfing commentators have used SUP's with a tri-fin setup. Any thoughts on why the Kona's are all single fin designs?

PS - to differentiate the meaning of "wave", I refer to waves that are rounded or even a bit peaked on top as a swell (breaking or not), and waves that form a lip and curl/break as surf. In the right bottom conditions (sandy gradually shallowing bottom), fresh water onshore waves will form surf, though the tops are crumbly and blown-over in comparison to ocean surf with offshore wind. Here in upstate NY, I know at least 4 venues that will form such surf, and you're willing to sail in close you can get some nice backside wavesailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: