myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
We want Your OLD GEAR!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelmKites3rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: We want Your OLD GEAR! Reply with quote

Helm of Sun Valley in San Mateo is looking for your used gear!

If you have any extra masts, booms, boards, or accessories, bring it to us!

We realize many windsurfers have upgraded their equipment over the years but there is a high demand for older gear for families going out to sail on Lakes and such.

If you want to keep your old gear out of the landfill let us take it off your hands!

Helm of Sun Valley
333 North Amphlett Blvd
San Mateo, CA 94401
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised to see this post by a windsurf shop. I know not everyone can afford new gear, and I'm STOKED to hear about new windsurfers getting on the water, but, I hope you guys are being selective about the used gear you're setting up new windsurfers on. I think one of the quickest ways to guarantee someone WON'T be a windsurfer is to give them a lesson on the wrong gear.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsampiero wrote:
I'm a little surprised to see this post by a windsurf shop. I know not everyone can afford new gear, and I'm STOKED to hear about new windsurfers getting on the water, but, I hope you guys are being selective about the used gear you're setting up new windsurfers on. I think one of the quickest ways to guarantee someone WON'T be a windsurfer is to give them a lesson on the wrong gear.

Kind of a random post, I make my paycheck by selling adds for new windsurfing equipment guy! but if it wasn't for my first setup of used gear sold to by my local shop( back when we had a local shop) I would never have bought the tens of thousands of dollars worth of brand new gear in the years since. I have never set foot into their shop but I do know they have the reputation of being good and knowledgeable.
So I'm just missing your point? What didn't they renew their add Wink
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity why not have selective new gear on consignment available in the store? I'm talking about the sails that are just 2 or 3 years old. That way people who want to sell their good new gear can choose to have it available at a shop. It'd make it so people don't have to wait for swap meets and it would help keeping up the price of used gear, and help the shop make a profit. With buying a new setup it's easy to spend well over 1500. The shop could still sell new masts and booms and components but someone could save a few hundred on a perfectly good sail. Just a thought. Anyone's opinion?
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't sell the ads for the magazines - I'm the Editor, not the publisher. I think they used to advertise, and maybe still do. Ads pay part of my paycheck - but so do subscriptions, and my first and foremost interest, as the Editor and also merely as an interested participant, is that new windsurfers are on the right gear for learning. The further back you go with gear, the less conducive most of that gear is for a new windsurfer's first sessions.

I spent two hours yesterday teaching windsurfing down at the Hook - we had six people set up on newer windsurfing gear from the Big Winds school, and after an hour, all of them were tacking back and forth. The dude struggling by himself on an older garage sale rig? He was able to uphaul - barely.

Nowhere in that post did I say "New gear is the only way to use windsurfing!", and I plain as day acknowledge that a quiver of new gear is an expensive undertaking.

I just want to them to make sure it's the RIGHT used gear, because it's so easy for a never-ever windsurfer to get the wrong gear to start learning to windsurf.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: