myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pyramid Lake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing nice shot of Washoe. Anyone know of good finless boards?

I was at Pyramid on Saturday again and it was pretty good. Tomorrow I'll try again. This is starting to be fun!

I also sailed Sparks Marina few times this summer. It's ok if you are coming in with low expectations Confused Big board and big sail works good there even in strong wind.

tramontana00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here I am with Pyramid Lake again.
Thursday 8-26 was great. It was so good that I did 38.197 knots max speed and 30.421 nautical mile average speed. This is the best nautical mile speed for USA in 2010 posted on gps-speedsurfing. All on F2 SX M (105 liter board) 32cm fin and 6.6 sail. I guess this puts Pyramid Lake on the map for speedsurfing???
In fact this was easily over 40 knots day if I could stay while longer and get my speedy board out. Wind was acctually picking up and sand was starting to blow. It made me cry that I had to leave early...

Today Saturday 8-28 was good for some mild bump and jump windsurfing. Up and down North/Northwest wind. Nothing special but I'll take it.

beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tramontana, Boris, is really fast, try to keep up witth him if you can, rigs for speed and gets results. Hope to join him for some Pyramid action, but down on a bay trip currently.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWS FORECAST...
WESTERN NEVADA BASIN AND RANGE INCLUDING PYRAMID LAKE-
300 AM PDT SAT SEP 18 2010

...LAKE WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 8 PM PDT SUNDAY FOR
PYRAMID LAKE...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A LAKE WIND
ADVISORY FOR PYRAMID LAKE...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 8 PM
PDT SUNDAY.

* WINDS: WEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* WAVE HEIGHTS: 2 TO 3 FEET...WITH HIGHEST WAVES ON THE EAST SHORE.

* SMALL BOATS WILL BE PRONE TO CAPSIZING AND SHOULD REMAIN OFF
LAKE WATERS UNTIL CONDITIONS IMPROVE.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tramontana is talking about going there today to get some speed runs at Indianhead probably. Most of us will end up at Lahontan at the dam, beach 2, maybe about 3 or 4 pm, maybe small sails and boards-we can hope anyway! Bring everything as always!
tramontana00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be some more interest for speed surfing lately, with Lake Isabella Speed Week event this year, and gps speed surfing overall. I received several inquiries about Pyramid Lake in last few months, so maybe it is appropriate to give some update on this spot.

2010 - 3 sessions, just started to explore this spot
2011 - 6 sessions
2012 - 9 sessions
2013 - 10 sessions so far and going again this Sunday

Best place for speed surfing at Pyramid Lake is Wino Beach and Tamarack Beach. Wino Beach is just South from Indian Head rock and Tamarack Beach is just North. You can sail from Wino Beach to Tamarack Beach, they are basically connecting at Indian Head point.
Tamarack Beach works on SW and Wino Beach works on W-SW or W.
NOAA and Windalert are prety good at predicting wind at this place. It needs to show at least 25 gusting to 35 to be good due to gusty up and down wind.
Floating slalom board is a must, low volume speedy will make you swim a lot.
Speeds of 35-40kt can be achieved there without problem. Over 40kt is possible but not easy. I managed to do it 3 or 4 times and Denis did one as well.
There is one good spot for alpha 500 jibes as well. My best alpha 500 there is 25.5kt.

This Sunday looks good again. Water is still worm and it should be windy and sunny with temperature above 60. Let's see if Pyramid can deliver 45kt max speed....
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tramontana00 wrote:
It appears to be some more interest for speed surfing lately, with Lake Isabella Speed Week event this year, and gps speed surfing overall. I received several inquiries about Pyramid Lake in last few months, so maybe it is appropriate to give some update on this spot.

2010 - 3 sessions, just started to explore this spot
2011 - 6 sessions
2012 - 9 sessions
2013 - 10 sessions so far and going again this Sunday

Best place for speed surfing at Pyramid Lake is Wino Beach and Tamarack Beach. Wino Beach is just South from Indian Head rock and Tamarack Beach is just North. You can sail from Wino Beach to Tamarack Beach, they are basically connecting at Indian Head point.
Tamarack Beach works on SW and Wino Beach works on W-SW or W.
NOAA and Windalert are prety good at predicting wind at this place. It needs to show at least 25 gusting to 35 to be good due to gusty up and down wind.
Floating slalom board is a must, low volume speedy will make you swim a lot.
Speeds of 35-40kt can be achieved there without problem. Over 40kt is possible but not easy. I managed to do it 3 or 4 times and Denis did one as well.
There is one good spot for alpha 500 jibes as well. My best alpha 500 there is 25.5kt.

This Sunday looks good again. Water is still worm and it should be windy and sunny with temperature above 60. Let's see if Pyramid can deliver 45kt max speed....

Good information! Hopefully I can try to make it out there next year. Would be hard to get off work but if its a good forecast than I'll pull some strings!

The guys and I at Cabrillo Beach Inner Bay have been having our month long GPS competition and so far it has definitely sparked interested in speed sailing as a few guys have already purchased their own GT-31s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: