myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2011 SAILS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: 2011 SAILS Reply with quote

TIME TO TROW AWAY YOUR 430 MASTS.

MOST NEW SAILS TAKE A 400 MAST......

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

6 FOOT BOARDS AND 370 MASTS FOR A 5.7 SAIL WICKED DON'T YOU GUYS THINK??????

ANY DEVELOPERS CARE TO EXPLAYN WHY I HAVE TO BUY NOW A NEW MAST AND BOOM TO GO ALONG WITH MY SAIL.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Which sail makers are doing this ? Reply with quote

Which sail makers are doing this ?
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK ALL OF THEM.
tramontana00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut it.
windsass01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANY DEVELOPERS CARE TO EXPLAYN WHY I HAVE TO BUY NOW A NEW MAST AND BOOM TO GO ALONG WITH MY SAIL.

the 400 concept is nothing new, most of the good brands have been doing it a while now. how old are your sails and who doesn't own a 400? most brands cut their wave sails so that they can all fit on a 400, so you only need to own 1 mast! who could complain about only needing one mast?
nothing major is changing, can't wait to get my new 2011's and use the same mast and boom i've used for years.
esteban

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay area/baja wave & freestyle quiver for me is four sails, 4.2 to 5.7 in half sq mtr increments, one 140-200 boom and two masts, 4.00 and 430. Could just as easily be 4.0 to 5.5 for a lighter guy who like me is not interested in formula or big sail sailing...the new sails are still within this calculus except for maybe specialty lines like the Naish Boxer sails. What's the fuss?
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw it out there. I pretty much get new sails every year but have never used anything as good as the 2011 gaastra iq they're unbelievable! Try one out 5.3 and up has 5 battens and everything under has 4 both versions are sick. Try one if you get the chance.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esteban wrote:
Bay area/baja wave & freestyle quiver for me is four sails, 4.2 to 5.7 in half sq mtr increments, one 140-200 boom and two masts, 4.00 and 430. Could just as easily be 4.0 to 5.5 for a lighter guy who like me is not interested in formula or big sail sailing...the new sails are still within this calculus except for maybe specialty lines like the Naish Boxer sails. What's the fuss?

I concur. I may even add that my 3.3 (I am one of the lighter guys) rigs on a 370. So I can have 3.3-5.3 on 2 masts: 370 and 400. With a long extension I can even push to 5.7 thought the sails feels a bit weird and too soft.
The naish boxers are indeed great now (tried one from a few years back and hated it) and super light.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get all that.

My point is we are moving away fron "blady" sails towards "blockier" Sails.

Sails 5.5-5.8 range, in the last two years have gone from a 440 down to a 420 luff.

For me blockier sails translates to more material lower wich does not allow quick on /off while surfing.

I understand that smaller sails these differences are less , yet I am forced to sail waves on bigger sizes.

That, is what I have noticed. Last year I got a $900 430 Mast, WTF.

P.S. All may sails are Up to date. Below NP my favorite for the last 15 years.

463.jpg
 Description:
still have not tryed 5.4 biggest they make.
 Filesize:  220.32 KB
 Viewed:  9051 Time(s)

463.jpg

07-np-zone-l.jpg
 Description:
Old sail that worked fantastic in the surf.
 Filesize:  23.02 KB
 Viewed:  9051 Time(s)

07-np-zone-l.jpg

esteban

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need a 430 mast for my 2010 5.7 Northwave Featherlite sail and think I will continue to need it for the 2011, from the look of other wbsites most mid 5 mtr sails for 2011 call for a 430 mast....
by blockier i am guessing you are referring to lower aspect atio which I find gives more low end power specially in gusty or wavesailing on/off power situations. I did not like the old NP combat waves with high aspect ratio, not much low end. Plus shorter luff length= less mast swing weight at tip for rotations, all good!
$900 for a 430?? WOW that is indeed"stiff"
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: