myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing TI during fleet week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David/

Very sadly in the world we live we do require an active military. These are not only death machines but also machines that are used to save many lives, including after Katrina and the Tsunami, and with the USCG, daily activity.

We live in a world that we cannot control, whether the human world or natural, and having a trained military ready is a necessary part of that.

I still have a family because the warmonger machines you mention stopped an evil empire during WW2, I tend to never forget that.

Fleet week is not to glamorize death machines but to recognize the service of many that give and have given so much both now and in the past years.

If you know people in the military then you probably will find they are equally opposed in many cases to the criminal activity and policies of Washington politicians and that is who your beef is with, not those who risk their lives daily.

Recognizing their service and dealing with some noise and traffic for two days isn't too much to ask for is it?
sergem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideverotta wrote:
having fun with instruments of death is not my cup of tea.

Marketing is the death of democracy.
Blue Angels is the tool for keeping hoi polloi in the party line.

Your tax dollars at work.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your skills up. In the post fossil fuel era, windsurfers will BE the Navy. Wink

We should be receiving generous subsidies and mandatory sailing days off civilian work, to support our valuable naval militia training.
tsokat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welcome fleet week each year and the men and women who put their lives on the line each day for us. After finishing a night cap in the city on Saturday, I made a point of thanking each sailor or marine in uniform at the bar for their service and letting them know that they are welcome here. They are the best of the best and all seemed genuinely grateful for the appreciation. I opposed the war in Iraq at each step, but these folks do not set policy. They risk their lives so we can go on living our cushy lives. Those few affluent, spoiled brat Bay Area residents who whine about fleet week's short disruption to their privileged lives should be ashamed of themselves.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Tsokat and Epenrose.
usa4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Got to Crissy at 5pm after the crowds cleared out and got about an hour plus of solid 5.2 conditions. Ebb was super strong.

Yes- one of the better days we've had in a while!
I got down just before 5 on Saturday and just after most of the crowds left.
Wind picked up to 20-25k for an hour and was well lit on ml slalom and 7.0.
There was some massive swell and voodoo chop in the 5k ebb and if you could get through it- sheets of butter silk flood tide in the middle of the bay.

I tried out the the new north shox base for the first time and was super impressed- it ate up the chop and dampened the ride for great control with the board floating over the chop.
NickB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa4 wrote:
I tried out the the new north shox base for the first time and was super impressed- it ate up the chop and dampened the ride for great control with the board floating over the chop.

any drawbacks? is that the one with the adjustable downhaul too? I'm very tempted by both the dampening and the ability to tune downhaul while on water, but I'm afraid about sand vs all these moving parts, can you comment on this? thanks!
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:

We live in a world that we cannot control, whether the human world or natural, and having a trained military ready is a necessary part of that.

I think you are missing the main point. Fleet week is not the problem, nor am I discussing the necessity of a trillion dollar/year military. The problem is simply the danger associated with the Blue Angels air shows (should I repeat: four people killed including two children in 2008, and one pilot dead, and 8 injured on the ground, could have been much worse, in South Carolina in 2007). Keep Fleet Week but get rid of the Blue Angels before they fly into a building ... and donate the cost of their deployment to a retired army veterans fund.

In the search of alternatives to Crissy, I had a great day at Coyote yesterday, perfect 5.8 with the amazing RRD FSW 100 (incredibly nimble for a 100L board). The Blue Angels passed straight overhead in formation: the stench of jet fuel took a surprisingly long time to dissipate. Shocked
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I really enjoy about sailing at Coyote is the jets overhead. To see the Blue Angels while windsurfing would be a real stoke for me. I love the smell of jet fuel. Very Happy
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
I love the smell of jet fuel. Very Happy

I think you can purchase it (probably on line, special delivery) and carry it with you in a very small flask Wink

Try http://www.amazon.com/German-American-Technologies-Jetfuel-liquid/dp/B001181RQG

Last edited by dvCali on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: