myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My first time out was a success!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pointing on Windsurfers Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi Buddha,

Each type of windsurfer is different on its ability to point into the wind. You said that you had sailed so you probably are used to being able to get about a 45 degree angle into the wind as measured from the direction of the wind.

Formula board windsurfers can do that and go downwind well. They do not like beam reaches as much. Slalom boards and free-ride or fun boards are extremely good on a beam reach, but tough to point high or go straight downwind. Broad reaches can scream though. Wave boards take real technique to go to windward.

With your beginner boards you should be able to point at least about 60 degrees into the wind. Remember to cant the mast back to go upwind and cant it forward to go off the wind. Exactly how far depends on the course you wish to take. You are lining up the Center of Effort (CE) with the Center of Drag (CD) into a new balance. Once settled out they will always be in line with the wind direction.

You probably are ready for a larger sail, which should help. I would think the sail for the GO would also work on the board that you started with. Try a larger sail and see how you do.

San Diego can be wanting for wind, so get your basics in and then consider a trip to a warm climate with rental gear and lessons and wind to progress up to the really, really fun stuff.

Windward1

Since I live so close to Mexico eventually I want to get the skill sets for the bigger winds down in Baja.
buddha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My first time out was a success! Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
buddha wrote:

Overall though I really had a great time!!

Not as addicting as golf yet though!!!!

Once you get into the footstraps with all your weight on the harness lines, you'll be getting one of those license plate frames for your car that says "Golf is for those who don't windsurf".
They exist, I've seen them. Wink

I think if I went out once a week and got some periodic instruction I would guess after I year I would see some improvement.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your level, you will see obvious improvement after every lesson, maybe even after every breezy day. Even in Utah, with no lessons available past "This is called a boom", I got a few short planing rides on my 3rd or 4th day, and was using a harness within half a dozen days. Even though my other hobbies were high-adrenaline, extremely aerobic sports. I got hooked on WS quickly.

Mike \m/
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My first time out was a success! Reply with quote

buddha wrote:
nw30 wrote:
buddha wrote:

Once you get into the footstraps with all your weight on the harness lines, you'll be getting one of those license plate frames for your car that says "Golf is for those who don't windsurf".

I think if I went out once a week and got some periodic instruction I would guess after I year I would see some improvement.

Don't sell yourself short, this isn't the best time of the year to start to learn (the season is dieing), but you'll get to that point faster than you think. Make it your goal, "in the footstraps, with full weight on the harness lines", and well, yeah, under control is a good thing also.
buddha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My first time out was a success! Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
buddha wrote:
nw30 wrote:
buddha wrote:

Don't sell yourself short, this isn't the best time of the year to start to learn (the season is dieing), but you'll get to that point faster than you think. Make it your goal, "in the footstraps, with full weight on the harness lines", and well, yeah, under control is a good thing also.

I see that you are on the central coast. I would think that the season would be year round up there but maybe it gets too cold?

I love Jockos for the rib eye up where you are!
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first time out was a success! Reply with quote

buddha wrote:
nw30 wrote:
buddha wrote:
nw30 wrote:
buddha wrote:

I see that you are on the central coast. I would think that the season would be year round up there but maybe it gets too cold?

I love Jockos for the rib eye up where you are!

Yeah, Jacko's is awesome but there are better places. No, the season is not year around, it starts in early spring, goes thru June, takes July off, and starts again in mid Aug., and goes thru Oct. on a good year, with the one day clearing wind session that happens after a winter front comes thru, during the winter. That's for the coast.
The lake (Lopez) starts in mid May, and goes thru mid July, on a normal year, but we haven't had many of them lately.
Lopez is a great place for you to pay attention to, if it's foggy on the coast with about a 20 to 30 degree differential between the coast and inland. Lopez should be fireing, it thrives on a thermal wind.
Take notes.
buddha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yeah, Jacko's is awesome but there are better places."......

What other places do you like more than Jocko's?

Have you ever sailed in Mexico?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right to set waterstarts as your next goal.

When you can waterstart, you can sail Baja (La Ventana), a long way from San Diego but great in the winter. The wind is relatively steady which can be very good for learning intermediate skills. The swells and chop make it very desirable to be comfortable with waterstarts before you go there.

The most sailed spots in Baja nearer San Diego are wave sailing spots. You'll need more skills before venturing into waves.
seablind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddha, glad to hear from someone who is so stoked to learn! It's refreshing.

If you have a chance to take lessons, abk instructors are terrific. And you can dowload their training manual here:
http://abkboardsports.com/tips/manual
buddha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seablind wrote:
Buddha, glad to hear from someone who is so stoked to learn! It's refreshing.

If you have a chance to take lessons, abk instructors are terrific. And you can dowload their training manual here:
http://abkboardsports.com/tips/manual

Thank you. Appreciate it.

I went today and am thinking maybe I should try the Starboard Go. The start seems to only want to sail on a beam reach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: