myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Juan Williams
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Juan Williams Reply with quote

Juan Williams has joined the racist right. Or has political correctness gone to far?
I have always respected Juan , he seems to me , to be a very fair liberal.
Willing to cross lines when common sense prevails!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent this letter to the NPR ombudsman:

"NPR shows its true colors again:
• Intolerance of any ideas to the right of Noam Chomsky or Bill Maher.
• Mindless devotion to political correctness squared.
• Lack of comprehension of the English language. Did you even hear his actual statement, or hear only Keith Olbermann's distorted version?
• JAWOHL, Herr Soros! [As I'm sure everyone knows, he "donates" millions to NPR; his next target for firing from NPR is reportedly Mara Liasson ... who, like Juan, also appears on Fox News.]
• We'll take the public's money, but will not attribute any intelligence to them.
• OMG! Juan expressed and clearly explained an honest EMOTION! The world is coming to an end.
• We don't allow no steekin' moderate liberals around here. If they're not radicals, they're gone.
• Anyone who doesn't regurgitate our talking points is a bigot, or a racist, or unwashed, or stupid, or SOME slur we'll invent if we have to.

Look, Juan's not the sharpest or best-informed liberal on the block, but at least he is honest about his reactions to events. I respect him infinitely more than the usual ideologue of either persuasion who lies to us because he thinks WE'RE uninformed. I want my news and analysis thereof fair and balanced, not biased so overtly. On what planet does the word, "Muslim" indicate bigotry?

The person who needs to go is the liberal wacko who canned Juan but keeps Bill Moyers around."

Update: The NPR ombudsman said their servers collapsed under the onslaught of email overwhelmingly supporting Juan ... plus correcting my quote marks above.

Last edited by isobars on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, let me ask you this. Say you're working for a prominent corporation and elect to say something untoward publicly that was against the conditions of your contract. Also, let's add that you had been previously cautioned about your public conduct in the media.

How long do you think you would last? While we all have the freedom to speak our minds, that doesn't mean that your employer would tolerate it? Only a fool would put themselves in jeopardy.

If the truth be told about this scenario, it was time to advance William's role at Fox News, and they needed some public display to play out the drama that they created for things to unfold. The show was done for all those devoted Fox News fans. Immediately, Williams has trick 2 million dollar contract. How about that folks!

Man, you guys need buff up on the rules and requirements found in the private marketplace.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there really is no freedom of speech, unless you're one of the low-lifes on welfare, and then you can call all conservatives racists. Wink
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Bard, is that all you have to offer?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
So there really is no freedom of speech, unless you're one of the low-lifes on welfare, and then you can call all conservatives racists. Wink

Freedom of speech is a red herring. Mr. Williams was employed by a private corporation. As a result, there is no right that an employee such as Mr. Williams to make a 42 U.S.C. Sec. 1983 claim against NPR alleging a violation of his civil rights, nor could he offer the First Amendment as an internal defense to his termination by his employer in these circumstances.

Mr. Williams apparently was terminated for cause by casting his employer in an unfavorable light. That what he said may resonate with many people across the world or, at least, in the USA, is irrelevant. Broadcast radio has been, and continues to be very conservative in its public image. Controversial subject matter is acceptable. Conduct or statements that cause controversy is quite another matter, and significant players in that arena have lost their jobs for similarly loaded statements.

So what is so wrong about Mr. William's confession -even while an employee of NPR? After all, he did say what many of us may think but do not utter out loud for reasons that we probably learned from our mothers.
Specifically, and in the most broad sense, all of us prejudge others based only on appearance. Nothing new there, although most of us are not paid to tender our personal beliefs and opinions for pay. Juan Williams, on the other hand, was and apparently will remain paid precisely for that task. And in that task Mr. Williams stumbled, if not dramatically.

In my opinion, Juan Williams should have known better than to say on air that which should be reserved for conversation with friends after a second glass of wine. FOX gains a very talented journalist in Juan Williams. I hope that he can stick to his guns editorially.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple conclusion: Most people either work for the government or large corporations. Let's say 80% of us. Let's say someone used the reprehensible word towelhead. (even though they were just describing the last episod of Southpark)

Their asses would be fired!

Hence, 80% of us have no freedom of speech...
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Simple conclusion: Most people either work for the government or large corporations. Let's say 80% of us. Let's say someone used the reprehensible word towelhead. (even though they were just describing the last episod of Southpark)

Their asses would be fired!

Hence, 80% of us have no freedom of speech...

"Freedom of speech" is a term of art pertaining to the First Amendment, nothing else. What you wrote, above, reaffirms my statement that certain language and terminology may be appropriate in certain circumstances but not in others. So what's the great revelation you offer?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any lawsuit by Williams would not revolve around civil rights or freedom of speech, it would be a wrongful dismissal suit or something similar. If his contract forbade him to make such statements he will lose..........unless a pattern of NPR tolerance for breaches by Williams and other NPR employees can be established. Alternatively, if NPR has documented evidence of previous warnings to Williams, he will lose.........however, if this was a one off, out of the blue, there is a high probability he will prevail.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Any lawsuit by Williams would not revolve around civil rights or freedom of speech, it would be a wrongful dismissal suit or something similar. If his contract forbade him to make such statements he will lose..........unless a pattern of NPR tolerance for breaches by Williams and other NPR employees can be established. Alternatively, if NPR has documented evidence of previous warnings to Williams, he will lose.........however, if this was a one off, out of the blue, there is a high probability he will prevail.

He's been warned before, but offsetting that is the endless barrage of left-wing commentary from NPR. This is clearly nothing more than resentment of his appearances on Fox News.

I'm watching Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, President of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, soundly criticize NPRs action as I type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: