myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
what kind gloves for sailing ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erniego

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: what kind gloves for sailing ? Reply with quote

hey all, I'm a new jersey sailor looking for advice on gloves/mitts. I see a lot of you from the cape cod area posting here figure you are the experts on cold water sailing. i tried dakine cold water mitts several years ago but they just made my forearms so fatigued I was done in 10 mins. I think the inside of the mitts was too slippery and required me to squeeze to hard to maintain a grip. Would like to try gloves but not sure what type. When the air temp. drops below mid 50's is when my hands start to get really cold. Tired of having to call it quits in early nov. Any advice greeatly appreciated.

thanks,
Ermie
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get 5 or 10 degrees of cold protection from latex exam gloves like doctors and scientists wear. They won't make your arms tired.

When it's too cold for that I wear DaKine mitts. I don't know if they're really the best thing or not, but they work OK. To minimize how tired they make my arms I make sure they're not too tight in the wrists, and I get my harness lines tuned so that I can have a very light grip on the boom most of the time. That and just having a few short sessions with the gloves until you're used to them enough that they don't make you as tired.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried several different kinds of gloves, but fatigue was an issue with all of them (more so with thicker gloves, even if pre-curved). My wife had even more problems with gloves since here hands are small. She ended up cutting the neoprene on the inside of the fingers and palm out from thicker gloves, which worked well. I tried that, too, and it definitely reduced fatigue, while still being pretty warm.

I recently started using Neil Pryde open palm mitts, which work well, without adding fatigue. But with temps in the low 40s and 30+ winds, they get a bit cold. I have tried using thin kitchen gloves underneath, which worked fine the first time, when I put the kitchen gloves under the semi dry suit sleeves. Next time when I put the gloves over the wet suit sleeves, more water got in, and my fingers got a bit colder (air 44F, water ~48F, wind 25-35 mph).

Even before starting to use gloves/mitts, I noticed that just wearing long sleeved suits makes my lower arms get tired a lot earlier. That's a big reason why I am switching to a baggy dry suit now (otherwise, my Ion 5/4 semi dry suit was warm enough with a neoprene shirt underneath). With the dry suit, putting the kitchen gloves inside the suit is probably a bad idea. I'll try combining exam gloves, as James has suggested, with the mitts, to see how that works.
leosaede

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed with these at 30F after a 1/2 hour my fingers start to get cold but not unbearable they are not perfect but pretty good.
http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_water.php
PERFECT CURVE GLOVE
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best gloves -- actually mittens -- I've seen FOR ME covered only the parts of my hand that doesn't touch the boom. Virtually my entire hand and fingers were visible if I turned my palm to face me; the wrist and very fingertips were all that kept the mitts in place. IIRC, they were called Neil Pryde palmless mitts. I've been unable to find them for years now.

For me, handwear presents four problems:
1. Thickness/grip/fatigue/toomuchcraponmyhands.
2. Inability to fix or adjust anything with 'em on.
3. Hands freeze up in seconds if I pull 'em off to fix something or self-rescue.
4. Pain worse than any pain I've felt when they thaw.

#1 is my own personal problem.
#2 is certainly a hassle and could be dangerous.
#3 compounds #2.
#4 is FAR worse than not windsurfing.

We'll survive #1 and #4; #2 and #3 require serious consideration.

Mike \m/
wavedawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Glacier Gloves. They fit well, are grippy on the outside and warm enough on the inside, and some styles, like mine, feature an opening in the thumb and index finger that you can poke your fingertips through to deal with rigging issues.

My new ones for this season are sold as "fishing gloves" and are even more grippy than the last ones
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: what kind gloves for sailing ? Reply with quote

erniego wrote:
looking for advice on gloves/mitts.

Ermie,

I was trying to find suitable gloves a few years ago too. Tried about 5 types and had to return them. They either didn't provide sufficient grip outside after being wet or sliding off the palms. Finally, bought O'Neill 3mm (style #2752). They are snug and work really well, except the first pair which didn't hold up during the warranty and their "fluid seam weld" (ha-ha-ha, love marketing) opened up along some fingers. The ones O'Neill send me for replacement are more durable so far. 2 years or so.
Before getting the gloves I used latex exam gloves as d0uglass
mentioned in one of the earlier replies. They do work well. Actually two over each palm is even better.
In general, windsurfing with gloves is always more challenging, no matter how good they are. Loosing sense of the grip makes to squeeze more on the boom. Then arms just go away. It's really important not to grasp hard and keep the fingers relaxed.
Two weeks ago was first time in the season when I used gloves and just wanted to check how long the fingers would last without them...15 minutes made them stiff Smile It wasn't easy to put the gloves on after that. They helped me stay for couple hours more.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the $45.00 a pair Glacier Gloves they are good but I have had them blow out after one session. That was 10 years ago. Not sure if they have improved and don't care because I am happy paying $17.00 a pair for the Sterns cold water glove. http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3534
I have been using these for 10 years and they work well. Bottom line is you have to sail often enough to stay in "Glove shape". If your forearms are failing don't blame it on the glove. That's like saying "I couldn't make it up a steep hill on my bike so I must need a different bike". I sailed last week for the first time with gloves this year and yes my forearms were burning. Each time gets easier until you look like Poppeye with huge forearms.
The most important thing about hands in cold weather is having your harness lines perfectly located so your not making up for any improper settings with your hands.
I have a new rule in winter sailing the air temp must be at least your age. This formula works well. Let's face it as we get older we need warmer temps.
Laughing
As for the burn... no pain no gain.

blockidog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience:

- Glacier Glove - to spongy, > fatigue
- NP Palmless - good for moderate cold, not for sub 50 when water is below 45 (ok if water is > 50)
- Dakine Cool Mitts are the best I've had for dexterity and adequate warmth in <40 water and air > 45

My cut-off for sailing is a combo air/water temp of ~85.

Evan's point is dead-on; get enuff days with whatever keeps you warm, your forearm fitness will improve (and you''ll be a hero when the weather turns).

Evans - Ordering a pair of the Stearns - do they run true to size? I assume yu go for a snug fit?

Thx
WaterKook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I use large. If I remember correctly med. are too tight on my hands. I would double check for you but am in FL right now. The other good thing for me about the Sterns is I can pick them up right in Chatham at Cape Fisherman's Supply. http://www.capecodoutdoors.com/CapeFish.html Very Happy
We have joked about wearing two pairs of gloves(one over the other) all summer so when winter comes you take one pair off and winter sailing becomes the easiest time of year!!!!

Sat. starting to look like my yearly run to Horseneck. Outcast you driving?
I will buy the beer! Wink

Yo WaveDawg are these the gloves you are talking about? The price is right.....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Glacier-Glove-Kenai-Fleece-Lined-Glove-Black/10928561?sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10928561

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: