myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui lodging and more...???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
la-glider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf, your first replies got me on the right track, big TY.
I liked your 'the Aloha spirit'. I think once you have it, nothing can spoil your windsurfing vacation no matter where you are, even AC with the wrong setting.
If you'll see dorky guy wearing a helmet, NP impact vest, shorty wetsuit, gloves, sunglasses and waterproof headphones, all the stuff that nobody is wearing on Maui, it's going to be me.
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Map of Sprecks Reply with quote

la-glider wrote:
Justin, great map! It looks like your place does not have direct access to the beach (about 400 feet), but you are still planning to have storage area to keep rigged gear?

Aloha la-glider!

The lot that Sugar Ranch Maui is on is a flag lot right to the beach. From where you would keep your sail, it's closer than you'd park at Kanaha to the water.

Here's the URL to the map that la-glider is referring to.

I sailed today on a 5.0 (200#), perfectly powered up, from 3-5pm, and then got dropped off at Maliko Gulch for a SUP run down the coast right back to Sugar Ranch. It's awesome scenery at sunset, you get to catch some waves at uncrowded Hookipa, and get a great cardio workout at the same time. And it's super nice not to have to shuttle cars around for coast runs.

Aloha,

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
PeterSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are no Vela like spots on Beaches in Maui with gear rigged? Its all pick it up in a rental car and bring it to wherever you are staying? Also on the north shore, is/are there any coves or bays with less swell, where my beginner wife can progress? Any beachfront spots to stay that aren't "Expert only" launches ? Winter prevailing winds are ENE? I feel like this is the winter that I am finally going to get out there, and I want to do it right, and want the wife to enjoy. Thanks in advance.
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Spots on beaches in Maui to leave gear rigged during stay... Reply with quote

PeterSS wrote:
So there are no Vela like spots on Beaches in Maui with gear rigged? Its all pick it up in a rental car and bring it to wherever you are staying? Also on the north shore, is/are there any coves or bays with less swell, where my beginner wife can progress? Any beachfront spots to stay that aren't "Expert only" launches ? Winter prevailing winds are ENE? I feel like this is the winter that I am finally going to get out there, and I want to do it right, and want the wife to enjoy. Thanks in advance.

Hi Peter,
There are a very limited number of spots available on the coastline where you can leave gear rigged between sailing sessions. That was the #1 reason reason I bought my place, after really enjoying keeping my gear rigged at the vacation places I stayed on Stable Road. The places at the east end of Stable Road are almost right under the flight path which is quite noisy.

In terms of "legal" places to rent on the North Shore, there are only a few. There's 3 legal condos to rent at Sugar Cove. Besides that, there are 2 permitted "B&B's" down the block from Sugar Cove, but those you need to drive to a sailing beach. I think the "Coconut Cove" spots are also legally grandfathered and you can sail out of them. I believe those are the only spots permitted at this time for short term rentals in Spreckelsville. Note, any place close to Kanaha is fine, as you'll probably be driving and sailing there every day with your wife.

Depending on the swell conditions, the beachfront spots along Spreckelsville maybe perfectly suited to any windsurfer than can waterstart and preferably stay upwind. However, it is not uncommon in the winter for bigger swells to mandate that beginners (and many experts) to go to Kanaha. Kanaha has a protected area inside the reef that will allow beginners to progress even during high surf periods. And there is a long beach to walk back upwind.

Winds all year round are E or ENE or NE. The difference is that in the winter, the winds will turn off for a week at a time, whereas in the summer, the wind almost never stops. Most locals like the winter WAY more than the summers because you almost always have some swell, and you either have windy days for windsurfing and kiting, or you have glassy days for surfing and SUP'ing. Winter also offers slightly cooler, more perfect temperatures, and gorgeous clear days with sparkling glassy ocean waters.

BTW, I'd highly recommend stay on the North Shore as opposed to the south shore, to avoid driving much. There are many great restaurants in Paia, and a few in Haiku. The south shore places tend to be more touristy and pricey. You will want a rental car to go dining, shopping, etc. Let me know if you get any more questions. I've been going to Maui since 1995, living more than 50% in Maui since 2005.

Aloha,

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
tlucoff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: always a good place to stay Reply with quote

you can come and go when u want. easy to make reservations at about $135 per day. markets and good resturants are plentiful. u can go to north shore in 15 minuites. i just have come to love the big lawn in front
and sailing in kihei on days when there is no wind or surf on the north shore.

the place is luana kai in kihei. its got the full pool, tennis courts and all units have full kitchens. call leslie at 800 669-1127 for reservations
believe me if u have a wife or girlfriend this is a more compatable situation than the north shore for keeping everyone happy Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that reason, I also thoroughly enjoyed Kehei. I've stayed several places there where I stayed rigged for days, sailed directly from my lawn with no crowds, got more wind than the windward side of the island, walked barefooted for a short block to grab fresh fish and produce for breakfast, had zero airport noise, and paid much less for lodging and food. I often went days wearing only shorts, just sailing/eating/sleeping without even looking at my car until I felt an urge for a particular restaurant a couple of miles away. Both sides have their advantages.

Mike \m/
Howzit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if any w.surf vacation outside the 48 is low budget as most items are quoted in $? Chose Maui as it was somewhat comparable to LaVentana and Bonaire but maybe more to do in no wind days in the "off" season(early Dec). Maui flight $500 (Bonaire was about $900 but has best beginer/interm. conditions from what others say), gear rental $50pd, Van $40pd, accommodation $120pd for full kitchen in Kihei (Sugar Beach, N facing so no heat issues). Figured we had to drive even if on N shore to Kanaha - or Kihei "pavilions" launch - it took about 11 minutes to Kanaha Kai one day else about 15-20mins. NShore much better vibe IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: