myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Puerto Rico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who doesn't know yet about Windalert/iWindsurf's live wind report coverage of Puerto Rico.....it's pretty good:

Windalert PR:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Favorites/ViewFavorites.aspx?pid=117819

Shacks:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/SpotInfo.aspx?spotid=16744

Catch a wave for those of us holed up in the far north...
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I"m a surfer also, was a 4A back in the late 60's and also mentioned as one of the boyz in SanFrancisco's big wave scene in that article by WilliamFinnegan printed in NewYorker and then requoted in Warshaw's Mav book.
I've heard of Shacks since the '68 WorldChampionships won by FredHemmings. But now my advanced age has me forgetting WHERE Shacks is located.
Would you care to enlighten me?
I don't think I'll have a surfboard availible when I go to PR in March, but might bring a 6'6" x 18" board I have laying around for kiteboarding, but some lighter guy can use as a surfboard. It floats me tits at the waterline, not enough for this 61 year old.
longboard08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey zirtaeb, If you fly into Aguadilla, Playa Shacks is less than a half hours drive. It's the next beach to the west of Playa Jobos by Isabela. Get a brew there at the on-beach bar at Playa Jobos, directly facing that break where I heard the 68 championship was held. The Hotel Montana is on Playa Shacks. If you fly into San Juan, you are a coulpe of hours drive from these places.....
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.
g/f (Zirtaeb) is currently in some Westin hotel between SanJuan and her condo in Fajardo. Winds been in the 13-21 range, same today.
Seems it blows a lot in PR. Maybe more often than Oahu ??????
Thinking of shipping a half container of windsurf gear there. I wonder if it can be done for less than $300?
I"m a broke windsurfer, but have tons of post mid 90's gear.
I assume a 95 liter board and a 6 meter sail most useful in PR.
longboard08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey zirtaeb, do u have any longboards in that gear, because if u do, I would be interested in renting (if u were planning on this). My experience w/ PR is consistent wind and would love to see how I do at Playa Jobos. What a beautiful area, also with great regular surfing options. Since u are a former Pipe surfer, I'm not sure they would challenge u; maybe Gas Chambers or Middles. Tres Palmas gets HUGE, but only 3-4 times a year. Then, it is tow-in surfing. Out of my league!!!.....
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er...
My Pipe and Sunset days were in the mid '70's. Now I'm satisfied with a funboard in 3-5' mushy waves. I like the idea of backside Rincon.
No longboards. My surf days were all about pioneering the cutting edge, sub 6'ers in '66, 3 and 2 finners in '67, Bunkerboards by '68, that stuff.
I"m actually a kook on a longboard, me not being able to cross step efficiently.
It's gonna be too much distance from Fajardo to Rincon or Shacks, what with her borrowing Daddy's car. So I'll make do kiting, windsurfing, or surfing near there.
Have storage at her house/condo in Fajardo, and some storage in SanJuan. Need to get 4 boards, 10 sails, 3 booms and 4 masts there by mid March.
longboard08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, Maria's and Domes near Rincon. They do get crowded, but, you are royalty w/ your background Exclamation So they better respect that!!...... Hey, that Bunkerboard, did the designer of that board windsurf? Because we were in FL Keys recently and someone was telling us that a local guy in Islamorada invented a surfboard design, and my wife thought they said Bunkerboard.....
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunkerboards idea I think, was originally conceived with knee board shaping ideas for a surfspot in SunsetCliffs, SanDiego, called Newbreak. It's a relatively fast hollow right rocky reef, steep walls, and very predictable. Hardly any room for performance moves, it's all tube riding and variations of tube posing.
Around '67, I hung out with a few SD kneeboarders here in SanFrancisco. We'd talk design, and being a curious shaper, tried some 6' long x 19" wide all downrailed really hard shapes. Super easy and quick to shape, easy and quick to glass, most of mine didn't even have gloss coats, just the sand coat as the finish. They worked well in OceanBeach's stronger, but flatter waves.
I finally made it down for a semester at CalWesternUniversity in late '68, with a blue and a red 6' bunker board. Lo and behold, all the Ab guys thought I was a state of the art shaper, but I was a goof. Since I didn't surf Newbreak, I'd mostly hit Abs or Chasms, on either side of NB's.
Down there surfing 4A contests, the reason I stayed there, I got interested in twin fins, wide tails, more rocker, and movement to get speed, rather than a fast, flat rocker and rail design. Got a full blown G&S ride, so didn't shape for a few months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: