myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HI-TECH: description of some old hi-tech wave boards...???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradfx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: HI-TECH: description of some old hi-tech wave boards...??? Reply with quote

Hi:

I'd be grateful if some of you could tell me some things about a couple of boards I recently came to own.

1: Hi-tech 84 wave. That's all it says. The board is white with minimal black graphics.

2. Hi-tech (8'9" / 4252 / A. C.) Everything in the italics was written by hand near the tail of the board. White with minimal black graphics.

I believe both came from Maui circa mid 90's.

No detail too small; I'd like to get a clear idea of what I can expect from these boards!

Many thanks in advance!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should note that Hi-Tech used to manufacture boards on Maui and in the Gorge. Big Winds in Hood River used to retail the ones made in the Gorge. I'd bet that the 8'9" board was made in the Gorge, given the initials A.C. Art Coulyer (I'm unsure of the spelling of the last name) was the shaper for the Gorge Hi-Techs at that time. He's still in the Gorge and shapes for North Pacific Surfboards making surfboards, sailboards and kiteboards. You might want give them a call to learn more about your boards.

http://www.northpacificsurf.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best chance both are pure fast wave boards, so great for bump sailing and waves anytime you can have a sure waterstart.
8'4" usually around 77 liters, plus or minus 5, is a full floater for anyone weighing less than 135lbs., is good for sail sizing from the smallest you have until around a 5.2 or so, winds 18- whatever the highest you can manage.
8'9"er could be a bump board (flatter tail rocker) or a pure wave (more tail kick right at the finbox and up maybe a 1' fin front) so better for bigger people, (full floater for 150 lbs., maybe 88 liters), sail sizing up to 6 meters, best around 5.0.
Those boards are just as useful today as when they were made, anywhere there is winds over a steady 18 and manueverability is above pure speed and upwind.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming you have any experience on boards of this general size and style, you will probably know within one adequately powered reach whether these boards were designed for use on Maui vs the mainland. My 8'9" Hi Tech round pin "wave board" arrived in New Mexico a couple of days before I left for Maui. I phoned Hi Tech, reserved the same board (I don't schlep gear on vacations), stepped off the airplane into a blast of hot wind, swung by Hi Tech, picked up the rental board and a sail, hit the water, sheeted in ... and wanted to cry.

The damn thing would not plane to save its life. The wind was ripping my arms off, but this board just sat there anchored to the bottom. When I finally got out a 2X4 and persuaded that DOG to plane, it said, "OK ... but you didn't say how fast." Even planing, it was as slow as a pig running through knee-deep pig crap after a big rain. All it would do is turn, but I was on bumpy bumps, not 10' glassy wavy waves, so I needed some speed. Alas, it was not to be found.

I went back to Hi Tech and asked them in total sincerity, "I'm really serious, guys ... can I return the board I just bought? I absolutely hate this dog."

"Not to worry, Mike. Our mainland and Maui round pin wave boards are completely different animals. If the size is about right, you'll love the mainland shape."

"WHEW! ... but, just in case ... could I?"

"Sure; we'll work it out. But you'll love it in mainland B&J and moderate waves."

I rented different boards for the rest of the trip, got home, drove to a big windy lake with excellent B&J conditions, hopped on my haole Hi Tech, sheeted in, grinned from ear to ear, and never looked back. Within days I began hitting the fairly consistent high speed jibes that had eluded me for many years.

If you're even reasonably competent on 80-90 liters, you'll know quickly whether your boards were built for Hawaiians or haoles.

Mike \m/
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, just sight up the tail bottom, from tip of rounded pin past the finbox.
If you get 3/8" lift there (convex, tail kick), it's a pure wave board.
If you get almost flat, or less than 1/4", it's a fast bump n jump for the mainland.
Flatter is not necessarily faster for small boards. Flatter planes up quicker than more rocker, but can be unsailible because it's too flat, sticky, and "fast" for real high winds or bumpy waters.
The "right" amount of tail rocker for the exact condition is the best, but who needs to carry 5 high wind boards of varying rocker?
laci

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 8'4 sounds a lot like one I had in the Gorge about 8 or 10 years ago. It was a fairly narrow wave shape and if I am not mistaken it was shaped by Bill Foote as indicated by a black footprint logo on the tail. I assume that means it came from Maui. I had it as my high wind board for several seasons and I was never completely happy with it. It needed a lot of wind, which isn't a problem in the Gorge, but it also had trouble planing through holes, which was a problem. Still, it wasn't a bad board by any means.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might also have been shaped by Craig Maisonville....in which case a collector's item (except not much on Antiques Roadshow Smile)

Could tell from the logo, but as LeeD said.... a fast waveboard....probably still useful....not much float

I loved mine

chophop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned one of the Maui wave boards form HI Tech, an 8-6". Old glass type probably about 1993. Was a real dog in SF Bay. Even at my skinny ass 145-150 lbs it was a chore to keep planing in flat water. Sold it at a swap meet cheap. I saw it again at a subsequent meet up for sale.

There were some construction problems with some of the HI Tech boards made in the gorge. Voids. Cool
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really...if you're on a 8'6" 77 liter pure wave board, you should be out in waves, winds from 17-26mph, 5 meter sail, and life is hunky dory.
You should NOT be out in 15-21mph breezes, drag racing your buddies on their slalom gear, on a 5.3 sail.
Every board has it's uses, and a pure wave board that size is a moderate wind wave board or a medium high wind flat water jumper.
I"m 146lbs., and my high wind flat water bay board is 62 liter BillFoote 8'2" pure wave.
My medium wind fool around hi chop board would be about the 8'6" pure wave.
My higher wind slalom board maybe a JPSlalomPro 7'7".
My medium wind slalom board a Slab 8'10" that easily carries a 7.3 sail.
You wouldn't choose a pocketknife to cut down a 100' redwood tree, why use a pure wave board for light wind flat water?
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 a 9'-0" from 1988 and a 8'-6" from maui from 1993, both glass, loved them till they were toast.

I have a pic from 1994 (not a great pic of the board) of the 8'-6" green on top yellow on the bottom never saw another with the same graphics.

maryhill.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.95 KB
 Viewed:  22185 Time(s)

maryhill.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: