myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What is the ideal multi-fin/single-fin board quiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and from what I read its says

GOYA in big letters Cool Very Happy Wink

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:
I'd rather see you spend less money by buying one sick wave board and two new sails, than see you buy three boards and use six different 10 year old sails on them. And yes, you can most likely cover the same range of conditions!

I think with that budget (buy three boards) I'd go with two sick new boards (for me a 100 liter freestyle and an 80 something multifin waveboard) and 2.5 new sails (maybe kick in a few bucks for the third) and consider holding onto the smallest 10 year old sails 4 meters and smaller.

You can have lots of fun with this game!

I think the biggest hitch has to do with the wind range you get. If you're a weekend only sailor and need a sail 6.5 meters or larger to plane on summer weekends (but still want to rock when it's blowing 25 gusting over 30) AND want to be able to sail in waves, a minimalist quiver is not the call IMHO.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, are we talking about just wave sailing? Or slalom, freestyle, and wavesailing combined?

Weekend warrior wavesailors looking to maximize time on the water would do best with a sailable SUP or Longboard, and a med/large waveboard, IMO. If you "Embrace the Schlog" you'll only need 2 or 3 sails, too- Say a 5.5, 4.5, 3.7 if you weigh the average 170 pounds. Adjust accordingly for rider weight.

The OP asked about owning three boards between 70-95 liters, which I, personally, think is totally overkill, and might actually hamper his enjoyment of his time on the water. I'm a big proponent of the minimalist quiver because you actually learn how to sail the very few pieces of gear you have. A weekend warrior may only get out on the water 20 days per year. If he owns 3 or 4 boards, how good is he going to get at using them, or even knowing which one to take out on any given day? If he only owns one board, he'll get really good at sailing it, and spend less time futzing around on the beach. Plus, he'll have more money to invest in lessons and exotic windsurfing vacations, adding to his enjoyment of the sport.

Of course, if the OP really wants to, he's welcome to own twenty boards in that 70-95 liter size range- especially if he buys them all from his local shop at regular price Very Happy

If any of you checked out the umi link that I posted above, Thomas recommends 2 sails and one board for 8-50 knots. He chooses a 67 liter Tabou Quad and a 4.0 IQ for high winds, and a 4.2 IQ on the same board for light winds. Even minimalist me thinks that that's a bit crazy, but he certainly shows that it's possible. Cool

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HODAD HODAD HODAD HODAD,

reading more into the OP initial post, I would agree he uses the phrase "wave , like fun in waves"

but since its a fantasy 3 board pick, Why not have some fun instead of being practical ?

Josh already has us all purchasing 5 boards so we can have a magaizine 12 months a year anywho

one 67L Tabou quad and a 4.0 & 4.2 .. other end of the spectrum of me

blimey I have 2 5.5s

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Sorry, just trying to provide some useful advice- as it is confusing to have so many amazing options for new gear- mixed in with a lot of old school doctrine that doesn't totally relate these days. Don't worry, though- we'll get you edjumacated on your Spring visit to the beach!!

http://wind-nc.com
theq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Simmer 95L FSW Reply with quote

I just bought a 95L Simmer FSW (demo in perfect shape), rode it for the first time yesterday. I need to ride it a bit more in order to give an accurate assessment, but preliminarily, I'd say that it was a good purchase for me. I weigh approximately 160 lbs, and my most used sail is a 5.6M wave sail, presently a Simmer X-Flex.

When the wind looked like it was starting off light, I put in a 22cm single fin that I had, as Second Wind did not include the 28cm that one reportedly gets with a new board. No biggie, as that fin seems like it would be too deep for the kelpy areas that I sail. As reported elsewhere, the board seemed very fast in single-fin mode. I was able to point with minimal effort as well.

Just before I went out with the single-fin in, the wind started picking up, so I switched to tri-fin after about 45 minutes. The board was very loose, but tended to spin out a bit (but quickly regained track) on me. I had my universal set 3/4 up toward the nose in the mast track, and had my center fin (which is negligibly deeper than the side fins) set about 3/4" back from the front of the box. After consulting with another very experienced sailor on the beach, I decided to move my mast and fin back a bit further. I guess that's what this board is about, tuning for conditions. The wind backed off after that so I didn't get a chance to try the new tuning. Maybe today?

I'm not sure who makes the footstraps for Simmer, but they seem to be unaccustomed to accommodating feet with booties. They just didn't seem to want to adjust big enough. I don't have large feet, and was wearing 2mm booties. Can anybody let me in on the secret of getting them to open up? You're able to loosen them at the pass-through buckle, but the strap itself has a memory that goes back to small, despite having slack in the adjustment strap. They are "Simmer" branded straps, and appear to be of very good quality. I just can't get them to open up. Not as bad for bare feet, but I sail at a rocky spot that makes barefoot sailing extract heavy prices in flesh.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

want more power out your fin? move it forward. want more power out of still? base back. too much power? inch the base forward. really steep waves and too much power? base forward, fin back.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: