myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fix, or get rid of?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gotw1nd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Fix, or get rid of? Reply with quote

Hello again guys and girls! I went out today and took all of your tips and tricks into consideration, and it went 10x better than last time! thanks a bunch! I came in early because 2 of my battens started poking through, to where the cam is... I cant imagine that its good for the sail or the mast! Now the question is, do I fix this? Or do I invest in a new sail? I cant imagine this sail lasting much longer, but what do I know! If I were to get a new one, what would you suggest? I was looking at the 9.5 Ezzy Infinity. Im in generally light wind, 10 knots, if that! Im 175lbs, and have a Bic Techno 283, 152 liter if this helps!
Thanks a bunch guys!!
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a sail repair guy, I'd probably suggest you look for a newer sail. For people starting out, I always recommend fabric sails first, like these:
http://www.hotsailsmauishop.com/superfreakcenter.aspx?page=3

If you don't have a good repair person near where you live, you can take the battens out, fold up the sail and return it to Hot Sails for repair and shipping won't be too bad.

You might consider used: keep a watch here: http://www.hotsailsmauishop.com/crossoversails-3.aspx?page=3

The dacron sails are easy to care for and more durable when it comes to UV damage. If you were an advanced rider, I'd suggest something else, but it's hard to beat the Superfreaks when you're starting out.

Bob T.
Gotw1nd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im kinda on a tight budget, being only 17, and about to go to college in a year... Im all for used sails, but I dont want to run into the problem im having with the sails I own now! just bit by bit, falling apart! Ive been looking at the Severne 9.2 Turbo, the Ezzy Infinity 9.5, and Ezzy Freeride 9.5... The severne is the cheapest at 550, but are the Ezzy's better built? Im really thinking that ill need a semi-large sail, 8.5 and up, because its generally VERY light down here in southwest Florida!
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot comment on the other sails, but I'm extremely happy with my Ezzy Freeride 4 (2010), great handling/performance, easily tunable with big wind range, and superb build quality. With your weight, board and conditions, seems the 9.5 would work great for you. Inquire with Ezzy's online support whether your existing mast will be compatible in flex specs and size, otherwise costs might add up if you need to consider an extra mast or extension.

A few places have the Freeride 4 2010 on sale right now because the Freeride 5 2011 came out, but as I understand it the differences are minor.
Gotw1nd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im lookign at all of the specs right now, and it looks like im fine, BUT there is one thing that could stop me! I dont know how long my boom is... I just took a tape measurer to it, from the very end of the boom, all the way to the mast cup, is 96 inches... and if you do a little math, thats 244cm... the Infinity's minimum boom length is 244, and the max is 251... is this 7cm gap going to kill me? Im looking to go out in under 15knots of wind... if that helps anything! Thanks again
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerotechs are built tough for the FL sun. They have way more juice per square meter than most. Check out the Aerotech line up. www.progressivesports.com
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely going to be a problem, especially as the sail stretches.
You won't be able to tune for stronger winds, and the boom will be
very flexy at its max extension, which gives you all kinds of Jekyll
and Hyde handling characteristics. But, can you find any sail
that will work on the same mast and boom as your 7.5?
If you could find a cheap used sail I'd say go for it, but a new 9.5
isn't cheap, and you won't be getting its best performance with that setup.
I agree with Jingebritsen. Aerotech makes a sail with tractor like pull for those mild Florida winds. I own a Sailworks 9.5, also with tractor like
pull. Definitely good in the below 15 Knot range.

-Craig

Gotw1nd wrote:
Im lookign at all of the specs right now, and it looks like im fine, BUT there is one thing that could stop me! I dont know how long my boom is... I just took a tape measurer to it, from the very end of the boom, all the way to the mast cup, is 96 inches... and if you do a little math, thats 244cm... the Infinity's minimum boom length is 244, and the max is 251... is this 7cm gap going to kill me? Im looking to go out in under 15knots of wind... if that helps anything! Thanks again
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others might have a different opinion, but I wouldn't use a boom at its very longest setting, for structural reasons. And definitely not if the boom's longest setting barely matches the sail's minimum outhaul setting, as it would reduce its wind range (you'd never be able to rig it flat for stronger breezes).

If keeping your current boom/mast combo is a priority, then you might have to get a smaller size (8.5), or another model/brand with a bigger size that'd fit your specs.

The Ezzy Infinity 8.5 with its two cams might be a good one for you too (I'm thinking about getting one). Or the brands others have mentioned here.
Gotw1nd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a stupid question, but am I measuring the boom correctly? From the forward most part of the mast clamp, all the way to the end of the inside of the boom, where the clew would be at max outhaul.
gk109

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats a good boom measurement. you dont need carbon. however when you get to the big sails like 8.5 and above carbon is nice, but not neccesary. ezzys are the toughest sails ive ever sailed but im not sure id pay alot for an ezzy of that size, there durabitlty takes a toll on the performance side on their big sails(just my opinion). if your booms to short its obvoius, if your sail is downhauled where you want it and the booms to short then buy a bigger boom. i
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: