myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kitemare at Sherman Island yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Every time some "civilian" who knows I WS asks me , "I want to try them kite thingies. How are they?", my short answer is "Deadly. They can kill and maim people, whereas in WS we can just let go." I know they're getting safer, but every time I consider saying, "They're great. Go get one", I see or hear of another idiot doing something stupid on one. Anyone who treats them like toys is heading for a harsh lesson in reality.

Mike \m/

What is quite amazing is that the deaths keep coming, no matter how the equipment is supposed to have improved (according to the industry of course) or skilful the rider is: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/5025839/Inquest-death-a-tragic-accident
rivella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Knife vs. Scissors Reply with quote

I would think that every kiter out there carries some kind of device to cut lines in an emergency. Apparently not! By the way, much better than a knife are scissors for that purpose since you don't need leverage to operate them. Just attach them to your harness and save your own life if you need to.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
flew fighter jets

Mike \m/

You knew a guy who flew fighter jets? Wow!

mtraveler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Every time some "civilian" who knows I WS asks me , "I want to try them kite thingies. How are they?", my short answer is "Deadly. They can kill and maim people, whereas in WS we can just let go." I know they're getting safer, but every time I consider saying, "They're great. Go get one", I see or hear of another idiot doing something stupid on one. Anyone who treats them like toys is heading for a harsh lesson in reality.

Mike \m/

PATHETIC AND IGNORANT! Lame attempt at preserving your windsurfing way of life! You did use the appropriate word "idiot" they are in every sport!

rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might define PATHETIC and IGNORANT as denying the inherent dangers of your sport to yourself as well as others just minding their business on the beach or just trying to enjoy themselves on the water. I might also define it as a kiter who comes on a windsurfing blog as a pretext to put down the sport. Kind of lame dude.

Plenty of room out there for all of us and we should look out for each other regardless of what we are sailing. Kudos to those who rescued that guy.
mtraveler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most every sport has its risks and I am certainly aware of what can and will happen on the water! No one is denying the dangerous aspects of Kiting, but to explain Kiting to others and only talk of the risks is IGNORANT! Sorry, but it is.

... oh and I wasn't putting down the sport of windsurfing, just the way someone was talking about kiting!

tsokat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience on and around the water, is that most everyone, whatever they are using to power their board, is quite sympatico-probably more so than in "real life". The beer brought by my friends who kite is just as cold and delicious as that of my friends who sail. The Sherman Island area, perhaps due to the vast amount of water available on which to play and warm temps by Bay Area standards, is especially so. And let's not forget that the real human interest story here is that a WOMAN, who happened to be a windsurfer, put her own life at risk to help save the life of a man, who happened to be a kiteboarder. That story is inspirational for me. Folks, please have fun, be safe, keep spreading the good vibes and keep looking out for the safety of your fellow brothers and sisters on the water.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtraveler wrote:
Most every sport has its risks and I am certainly aware of what can and will happen on the water! No one is denying the dangerous aspects of Kiting, but to explain Kiting to others and only talk of the risks is IGNORANT! Sorry, but it is.

... oh and I wasn't putting down the sport of windsurfing, just the way someone was talking about kiting!

How many people have been killed or maimed by kiting? By WSing?
(Not by hypothermia, or heart attacks, or trying to cross oceans ... by the dang equipment and misuse thereof?)
Now add percentages to the equation to highlight the difference.
Example: the No Fear dimwit in our local newspaper trying to figure out how to manage all them strings as he gets launched ON LAND, by a bud who's ever seen a kite, in extremely gusty urban 40 mph winds upwind of jetties in midwinter. Tell us he's not being an idiot.

I rest my case.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,
You inspires me. I was at SPI this spring when a kiter drown in 3 feet of water in an area busy with windsurfers and kiters. Nobody notice his struggles and he paid with his life. Maybe we should all be like you and pay attentison to others. I do watch out for fellow windsurfers but not really for kiters. That will change now thanks to you. Feel good about yourself cause you deserve it......Tony
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, you ROCK! How fantastic to be so aware of what's going on around you, and then to immediately not only take action, but the right action. It's great to know that there are people like you around, and you're an inspiration to everyone to pay attention and help out on the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: