myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to SF and redesigning my quiver
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Moving to SF and redesigning my quiver Reply with quote

I am moving from the windless state CT to San Francisco in September and am redesigning my quiver for the Bay Area. I only weigh 145lbs and can't decide if I want to focus on waves or freestyle but like them both. I also don't know how big my apartment will be at this point so I am planning on leaving/selling some gear.

Planning to bring:
Boards: 10'6" Naish Nalu SUP, 82L Quatro Custom Twin, 101L JP FSW
Sails: 4.1, 4.5, 5.0, 5.8, (I have a 460cm mast I am planning to bring out for larger sails if needed)

Not planning to bring: 120L JP x-cite ride, 130L old formula board, 9.5 racing sail w/ carbon mast aluminium boom. Also leaving 2004 RRD 85L Hardcore Wave on Martha's Vineyard so I can still rip in my home waters.

I am on the fence about the 120L board; I have also started kitting when the wind gets that light. Ideally the 101L FSW would be 95L but it will work for now. I also really want a 5.4 because my 5.0 and especially my 5.8 are getting old and I find myself wishing I had a 5.4 gear.

Please let me know if any of this doesn't make sense or if there is any advice locals would suggest.

Cheers,
David

chibichibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you started "kitting"? is that like "knitting?"

bro - leave the kite in CT.

I don't think you need a 120L board here give your weight. Welcome to wind heaven.
damel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started kitting before I knew I was moving to San Fran. I was just sick of huge sails and watching kitters after getting skunked. Wish I saved it for some new windsurfing gear out there.
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with chibi. I weigh 200 and 100 liters and 6.2 is the biggest kit I use-I do enjoy using it quite a bit though. I have a 120 liter and 7.0 and haven't used that combo since buying it a few years ago. Great area for mountain biking and snow sports too if you are into them. Welcome to the urban sportsman's paradise!
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, by the end of Sept the wind season is making it's last gasp.
You may want to keep some of the big stuff for the off season which starts in October and goes thru Feb or March. (this year it seemed more like May or June) There are occasional storms that can be sailed with small gear but you can extend the season quite a bit with big gear. Kiters seem to pack it up in Oct too, maybe the winds aren't reliable enough? I can slog back MUCH easier on my big board, that's probably it.
It keeps you in windsurf shape too. It's really hard for me to go
do a wild 4.5 storm session when I haven't sailed in 3 or 4 months.

Last edited by carl on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about windsurfing here in the Bay Area is the diversity. You could use any of the gear you own on a given day depending on where you were living/working and the time of day you were getting out. You're pretty light, so it's OK to leave/sell the big boards at home if you're worried about storage in SF. If you sail the windier parts of the bay during the middle of the season, I suspect you'll be on 4.1, 4.5, or 5.0 almost every day if you are willing/able to drive for the conditions. Having bigger sails/boards will enable you to sail more w/o driving so much.

FYI, I'm about 175lbs, and my most used sails are 4.7 and 5.2 on a FS and Wave board, although the 4.2 makes frequent appearances as well. 3.7 comes out 5-10 times a year. If I'm sailing in the East Bay a lot, I might sail a 7.0 slalom sail and slalom board... although this past week has been rippin' at Berkeley almost every day.

Most popular mast size I sell is 400... and I know a lot of lighter guys who don't own 430s, so you probably won't need a 460, esp if 101 is your biggest board.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to SF and redesigning my quiver Reply with quote

damel wrote:

Not planning to bring: 120L JP x-cite ride, 130L old formula board, 9.5 racing sail w/ carbon mast aluminium boom. Also leaving 2004 RRD 85L Hardcore Wave on Martha's Vineyard so I can still rip in my home waters.

I am on the fence about the 120L board; I have also started kitting when the wind gets that light. Ideally the 101L FSW would be 95L but it will work for now. I also really want a 5.4 because my 5.0 and especially my 5.8 are getting old and I find myself wishing I had a 5.4 gear.

Welcome to SF! Great place to sail, great wind but ... I am not so sure it is wise to leave behind a 120L. I sail regularly Mid February to end of October and my Is-111 and old ML 130 rescue a LOT of days when a lot of people are on the beach with their 85-100L boards and I (and others on similar equipment) are happily zooming around.

Bring the 120! it will gain you weeks if not months of sailing!

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - psyched to hear another Vineyard sailor is making the trek west! MV was where I learned to sail as a teenager in the late 80s. The sailing is great out there.

But the bay area has amazing conditions - especially the wave sailing. I'm still blown away how good the wave sailing is at Waddell and Davenport which are about 80 mins south of SF. The best wavesailing months are April - June and September - October so when you get here in September you'll be coming right into the thick of it. Be careful it can get big that time of year. Make sure to bring your rubber. You'll need a 5/4/3 or a warm 4/3 for the ocean any time of year.
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to SF and redesigning my quiver Reply with quote

damel wrote:

Planning to bring:
Boards: 10'6" Naish Nalu SUP, 82L Quatro Custom Twin, 101L JP FSW
Sails: 4.1, 4.5, 5.0, 5.8, (I have a 460cm mast I am planning to bring out for larger sails if needed)

I'd say the right plan, although SUPing doesn't call my (or anybody's) name out here in earnest, at least as far as I can tell. At any rate, storage will be a main driver for what you can keep in the City. It's hard to come by apartments that offer any kind of individual storage, and there's restrictions, depending on zoning, like in the Marina (at least as far as I know). There might be a van in your future.
At your weight, the 101L and 5.8 should (strike that, will) get you through fall. Despite the pep talk - you'll be hard pressed to find all that many people show up to sail when you could field something the size of the 120l, unless you're into Formula racing down at SFYC. In the end, my prediction, you'll find you'll only need a rather limited quiver anyway. I weight 190 and I mostly sail a 90l with a 5.6 or 4.7, or a 117l with the 5.6 and super rarely the 6.8 when I haven't hit the water in like a couple of weeks or so.
Especially if you decide to set up camp in the City (or in any case) I recommend Kevin to back fill any quiver gaps, and there's a couple of shops down on the Peninsula, Boardsports @ Coyote Point come to mind. They've got the "right" gear (everything carbon etc.), personable, 360 degree service. Not to make the case for the shops, but I highly recommend to replace any remotely questionable gear. Cold water and currents dictate sailors keep their stuff in working order *beyond any doubt*.
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At SF Bay sites, especially Crissy Field, you will see wind snobs who only want to be out if they can sail their "wave" boards on small sails. Sure that's a blast when it happens, but I've had great sessions on my floaty 115 liter board (I'm 165lbs) and a bigger sail 5.9 and even my 7.4. Both rig a 460 mast. So I advise you to find a way to bring both the small stuff and the light wind rig: you'll be out smiling when everyone else is whining and packing it up.
Tomg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: