myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kitemare part two
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really sail down there but doesn't the current setup kind of work well for everyone? Windsurfers at Davenport. Kiters at Scotts Creek. One big happy familty at Waddell?

Truthfully, I don't have the same problems with kiting that I used to have. Seems like the gear has gotten better and some of the aggro-behavior has mellowed out. At places like Crissy, there is so much room, I can either choose to sail with kites or not; however, in the break at the coast or in the Gorge, kites just add another challenge in close quarters that I am not always up for. Their footprint on the water is pretty large and sometimes hard to avoid.

Allowing for some separation will address most of the conflict issues.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Davenport Landing Reply with quote

Hi thuledog,

I would not have reported it if I had thought the report was from a questionable source. It was not.

The other reason for reporting something that I was not a direct witness to, but trusted the sources, was to give a heads up. I know that I would want to know if there is agro in an area that I would not expect it, as then I can be prepared. I, and I expect others, can act more appropriately if they are prepared rather than taken by surprise.

Regards,

Windward1
elenna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Davenport Landing Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi thuledog,

I would not have reported it if I had thought the report was from a questionable source. It was not.

The other reason for reporting something that I was not a direct witness to, but trusted the sources, was to give a heads up. I know that I would want to know if there is agro in an area that I would not expect it, as then I can be prepared. I, and I expect others, can act more appropriately if they are prepared rather than taken by surprise.

Regards,

Windward1

Again, I think it's clear the your information is baseless and third hand. Again, if you don't sail there, keep your rumors to yourself.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: More than rumors Reply with quote

Hi elenna,

I DO sail there.

Regards,

Windward1
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: More than rumors Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi elenna,

I DO sail there.

Regards,

Windward1
OUCH!!
mustard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that Windward1, via the source, is referring to an event that none of us witnessed. So.. in that, thank you for giving people a heads up. It is better to be aware of possible violence/animosity then it is to close our ears and be surprised. So maybe the reaction to this information is fear based and should be treated as what it is....just a report and something to think about.
regards Windward..
elenna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: More than rumors Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi elenna,

I DO sail there.

Regards,

Windward1

So it must be clear to you that launching and landing a kite a Davenport is not a real option. Yes kiting downwind into the Davenport line up from Scott's Creek is possible, but no kiter is going to intentionally launch or land there. Given that it's highly unlikely that any kiter was actually launching or landing at Davenport, I find it hard to believe that any violence occurred in the recent past.

A few years back there was some conflict on the water at Davenport, but that was long ago I just wonder if it's making the rounds again. Maybe incident has achieved urban legend status. Well...believe what you must - I believe in UFOs and the Easter Bunny - we all have wacky ideas some time.

Eric
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Kiting at Davy Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

When the fellow who told me of the incidents, I found it difficult to believe as well. But I did take into account his credibility which had never come into question in the past. Given that, I believed it had happened. And I do think that having heard it, I might be remiss, if I did not pass it on so that people could be aware. I know that I would prefer to know of it than be caught blindsided. If you know about it and an incident arises, there is more chance that cooler heads can prevail.

I have seen a kiter (not this year) come down from Scotts or further north, land at Davenport Landing and get picked up by his girlfriend.

I was there Sunday, July 10, near noon, this year, and a kiter was sailing the south reef break. I asked the surfers if he had launched there and they said they had not seen him/her launch and thought he/she may have sailed up from furhter down the coast.

Having seen the kiter, albeit only one, and hearing the person tell me about the incidents, gave some additional weight to the possible credibility of the report.

There were no windsurfers out when I saw the kiter. It was early, the wind was light, and the surfers had just come in as they said it was getting too windy.

Since the fellow telling me of the incident, did not see it first hand, even if he is credible, could it be the story is untrue? Yes it could, as it came down a line of people. So take it as you will. I have no axe to grind. I reported on a story without seeking coroborating witnesses. But this is not a newspaper, but a forum.

Windward1
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Update-Correction-Retraction Reply with quote

To all who read this:

I decided to follow the thread of communication back to see if there was a flaw in the story, as people who said that they were there at least part of the week, adamantly doubted the story. Well I found out there was a flaw in the story..... and more than one. So I retract all that I said and will tell you that there was no indication of recent fights between windsurfers and kiters at Davenport Landing.

I do want my reporting, and others, to be accurate on this forum. And even though many newspapers and news media no longer look for corroboration on reports, it does not mean that I should not. I apologize for passing on false information. That certainly was not my intention. And I intend to not let it happen again.

Windward1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: