myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Event Site Users- Make your voices heard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haywood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about properly developing the spit into a dedicated kite launch?

The event site started with a dock launch off of 2nd street and through the vision and hard work of hundreds of dedicated people became reality.

Just as many have done for years, the focus of the Kite community should be towards increasing new, additional water access, not carving up existing access.

I feel one of the biggest issues is that the kiting community doesn't seem to have developed the organization and resources to pull off a redevelopment of the spit. Being a young sport, I can understand that.

The goal should not be access at the event site, the goal should be developing the Spit to enable access whether or not the sandbar is usable or not.
Bret

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't redevelop anything because of the Environmental impact meaning hearings, planning, engineer reports, traffic studies, public notices, and pubic hearings and commissioners reports...simply will not happen, that is why this discussion is important. It's all there the Event site, Jensen Beach, now make it click.
Bret

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Blessing the Event site exists today. We have a wonderful place there keep it strong. It amazes me how we do not realize how important the Event is. We all in this little culture have to see eye to eye and just say ok.

I think things have been great there since the Kiter's moved off the sand on on a very very nice grass beach kinda nice too.
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret - all those hoops were jumped thru to create the Event site and Jensen/waterfront park. So it can be done if you try.
Greg
merriam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: we can all share Reply with quote

Lots of interesting opinions and ideas about this issue here. Twenty five years ago the marina was what the event site is today, main sail site for beginner and intermediate sailers in the gorge. As sailors advanced they ventured to Doug's and the Hatchery and a few other obscure sites. There are a lot more established sites now but still not enough for all the current and potential users, hence the access problem. Personally I don't have a problem with launching and sailing with kiters ( I'm an old fart windsurfer.) I've had more close calls (many my fault) with windsurfers than kiters, and enjoy sailing with kiters, they don't have the visual blind spot that windsurfers do. Most are very polite as are most windsurfers. I hope the event site can continue to accomodate both windsurfers and kiters and that we can all work together to provide additional launch sites for all of us.
Tom Merriam
dennis1916

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Event Site Reply with quote

The event site is a friendly site where windsurfers can launch somewhat safely and easily. Personally I haven't sailed at the event site for ten years. Give the less experienced windsurfers a chance to not get killed by an inexperienced kiter, have fun, and return home saying they had fun sailing the gorge.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Reported cost just for the permit to build the Luhr-Jensen launch: $750,000.

Someone pointed out via PM that actually, the expensive ramp was the other, city park, ramp just west of the L-J ramp. I don't use either, so they blend in my mind. My point was that modifications to the Columbia River within the boundaries of the waterline -- which excludes the L-J ramp -- incurs incredible levels of government involvement, which never comes cheaply and often leads to total stalemate, as at Arlington and other spots.

Mike \m/
ducks007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: we can all share Reply with quote

merriam wrote:
There are a lot more established sites now but still not enough for all the current and potential users, hence the access problem.

Same situation for 30 years. A different approach is needed. Team up with the fisherman for instance. Use them as part of your lobby. They have the money and patience.

Arlington: Sturgeon platforms on the east side, windsports on the west.
Bret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be no redevelopment! There will be Kite boarders sharing the Event site in designated area's! There should be a new venue for an overall Hood River atmosphere of tourism, people, kites, windsurfers, wine tasting, super cool rad people you meet on a beach in Maui, yet it is Hood River! It is fun people having fun!

I love Hood River!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: