myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone at the event site see me thrashing around sat?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Anyone at the event site see me thrashing around sat? Reply with quote

Im sure someone here saw me and shook there head and had a hundred ways you would have done it right Very Happy So please share... I was on the big old white Protech 187L race board with the 1 size too big 5.7 Neon yellow windwing over by the sandbar with the beginners. Basically relearning beach starts on a narrower board than Im used too, and having a few planing sessions with some early exits and generally going the wrong direction. Anyone?
ericandholly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't see you, but as I am sure you know windsurfing is a difficult sport to learn and master. The fact that you are willing to thrash around and post up for advice is a pretty clear indication that you have what it takes to be very successful--patience, fortitude, and a sense of humor.

So many rewarding milestones in windsurfing: water starts, hooked in and plane, hooked in and plane with both feet in, first jibe, etc. Enjoy them all!

Good Winds,
Eric
ldhr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a lesson. it's money well spent. you can learn more in a 2 hour lesson than you will own your own in 100 hours of thrashing about.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
take a lesson. it's money well spent. you can learn more in a 2 hour lesson than you will own your own in 100 hours of thrashing about.

Couldn't agree more. Mchaco1, I seem to recall you posting that you had bought three old boards, and weren't interested in new gear. A single, well-chosen modern board will out-perform all three of your old boards. You're spending the time to get off work, drive out to the Gorge, rig up, and get out on the water. Why thwart all that effort by insisting upon using super old gear? With a versatile modern beginner/intermediate board and modern rig, you'd be using your harness, planning, in the footstraps, staying upwind & off the sandbar.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River-Lizard wrote:
ldhr wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Mchaco1, I seem to recall you posting that you had bought three old boards, and weren't interested in new gear. A single, well-chosen modern board will out-perform all three of your old boards. You're spending the time to get off work, drive out to the Gorge, rig up, and get out on the water. Why thwart all that effort by insisting upon using super old gear? With a versatile modern beginner/intermediate board and modern rig, you'd be using your harness, planning, in the footstraps, staying upwind & off the sandbar.

Im very interested in new gear and wouldnt mind lessons at all. I just moved here and have no job and am nearly out of money, just the gas to get out to the gorge is more than I should spend.Im lucky to have the old stuff I have thanks to the CGWA helping me out at the swap meet. Thrashing is fine with me it isnt 120 degrees outside and all the plants arent full of stickers Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, use the right sized sail.
Do you think everyone who learned on '80's EQ actually needed modern gear to learn? All that old stuff is fine for learning. Windsurfing is a balance sport once you always plane. If you need the width to stand up, you aren't learning balance.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
First of all, use the right sized sail.
Do you think everyone who learned on '80's EQ actually needed modern gear to learn? All that old stuff is fine for learning. Windsurfing is a balance sport once you always plane. If you need the width to stand up, you aren't learning balance.

Sail choice is a bit tough since I seem to be larger than 90% of other windsurfers, so its hard to walk around and see what others are using to get an idea. I usually need 1m more than everyone else to do a waterstart, and that can be a bit more of a handful when Im up. Width isnt really a problem for me anymore, I had a few board tipping incidents at first but now I dont notice. i just learned to windsurf on a windless desert lake so it was always longboards and big sails and uphauling. Being able to completely commit to leaning against the sail is a new thing for me.
dcfordo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what your problem was in the original post, but keep going whenever you can. Push yourself to try new things as you advance. Pay close attention to how others do things. And finally you don't have to take lessons, but I would at least get a few instructional vids. They can be a huge help.
Larrew32

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some free online videos I saved long ago...

http://www.boardseekermag.com/technique/the-beachstart-147.html
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good rule of thumb is, if you have the same kind of sails, company and models, for every 60 lbs., one meter difference. That's just a rule of thumb, as some guys +60 prefer .6 difference, some 1.5 differences.
So for 30 lbs., half a meter.
Most important is to sail with a sail you can handle, and learn to waterstart and jibe with a sail you can sail with.
If you're 205 lbs., you need a 6.0 to waterstart in winds from 12 to 30. Some 205 lbs guys can waterstart in 12 with a 5 meter sail, but they've been at it a while and usually are good sailors already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: