myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do windsurfers spray their buddies?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sansa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Do windsurfers spray their buddies? Reply with quote

In a local online forum recently, there was a discussion about a kiter who was doing some dangerous things at a local launch. I added my complaint, which was that while I was near the shore futzing around getting ready to waterstart, he came by at speed just upwind of me and sprayed me. One kiter (former formula windsurfer) replied, "I know everyone likes to spray their buddies as they go by - windsurf and kite."

I thought about it and realized that I don't even know HOW to spray someone while I'm windsurfing. It never even occurred to me to try it (mainly because I would never sail that close to anybody) but I think that if I did, I'd just head upwind.

Is everybody else out there spraying their buddies and I'm just an outlier?
dogalone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a local issue; you may have been an innocent bystander
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can spray like a SOB ... but after spraying a bud from 14 feet away neatly sliced the top foot off his 15 foot Skinny mast, I'll never do it again. And since my Achilles tendons are often 6 feet away from my gear and just beneath the surface when I'm turning my gear in the water, anyone spraying me from within a mast length needs to be prepared to eat a mast. It's neither funny nor safe, and anyone willing to risk harming me for kicks is not my friend. A big bud says he knocked a friend unconscious with his fist the 4th or 5th time the guy buzzed him at speed as my bud stood in shallow water. Anyone who can't do his spraying from a safe distance isn't a good enough sailor to do it in the first place. "Jackass" was a movie, not real life.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD here....
After 27 years of windsurfing, I still have not sprayed anyone. Yes, I've been sprayed, but I let it known I don't like it by sailing 22" above them the next time we line up. After a few yards of cover, they get the hint.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was part of the fun sailin' with my crowd back in the good ol' days . Between that and yelling "BUOY!" at top of your lungs as you jibe around them when they're down. It's like Slug Bug! BUT Ya gotta be careful! A couple of my buddies were out playing like the juveniles we were (and you know who you are)Wink , and one of them turned upwind when he shoulda turned down wind. It sent the nose of his E-Rock under the tail of the others board and this is what happened, not to mention the bottom row of teeth through the lip. Surprisingly enough it did'nt take out his fin or box....from what I remember. The really funny thing about it was that I was filming these guys for the previous 10 minutes. I had just put the heavy ass VHS camcorder down, turned and started walking away. Just then I heard a BANG! from across the lake, turned around and they're both down in the water. Of course we laughed our asses off after we knew they were alright. OK maybe it was me that laughed my ass off! Laughing

Image43.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.8 KB
 Viewed:  20091 Time(s)

Image43.jpg

Sansa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so HOW do you do it? I've done it on a wakeboard and a slalom ski, but I can't figure out the mechanics on a windsurfer.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sansa wrote:
Okay, so HOW do you do it? I've done it on a wakeboard and a slalom ski, but I can't figure out the mechanics on a windsurfer.

Turn hard downwind and back up as hard as you can. It's just a tight S turn.... or U turn?? I'm sure some one will describe it better.

capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sansa wrote:

Why bother, spraying is for kids.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Sansa wrote:

Why bother, spraying is for kids.

Present! Laughing

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sansa wrote:

Slash.

The faster you're going, the harder you change direction (the more g's you pull), the farther up on one rail you set the board, the more power you have in the sail, and the harder you JAM that strapped back foot into the groove, the higher and farther the spray will fly.

Or head straight at your victim at full speed and just pop a giant wheelie as your rear foot drives the tail deeply into the water. This emergency stop or dismount technique projects a huge wall of water in front of you. It also breaks fins if you overestimate the depth.

And the bigger you screw up in either case, the greater the potential for injury, accidental or deliberate. It's about as mature and safe as seeing how close you can drive your car to parked cars or pedestrians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: