myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Klickitat sandbar: is crossing the tracks off limits?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
30knotwind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Klickitat sandbar: is crossing the tracks off limits? Reply with quote

New signs have gone up at the crossing warning of fines--in the past 2 weeks according to Lyle Hotel. I have always seen tons of cars there when passing for Dougs this year. We just want to walk our dog on the sandbar on windless days.
Thanks
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its illegal to cross the tracks, yes they will fine you and at that particular spot, they are pretty serious about it due to too many people (kiters mostly) parking in the area and illegally accessing the sand bar via the train tracks.

I'm 99.9% certain that the only legal access to the Lyle sandbar is by boat or parachute.
Bret

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the parachute idea, but you have to jump from the Yellow Cub plane that sometimes fly's underneath the Hood River Bridge..what a site. I have seen this twice.
sissybar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR Cops are easy to spot and you have a right to access navigable waterway. If they cite you take it to trial. Criminal trespass, big deal. Jury will not likeRR cops or RR, RR is not a good neighbor.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The court routine has been tried, with no success ... and that was before it became a federal offense. As soon as the law went federal, the emboldened RRs put up new signs staking out much larger territory ... clear to the Highway 14 pavement at many spots. When they spot WSing gear on land or water, they can come bust our chops pretty quickly. We see fishermen -- not commercial Indian fishermen, just guys goin' bank fishing -- at good illegal sailing spots all the time, but if a sailor joins them he can be in trouble. Even the mighty U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has admitted in open forum at the national level that the RR rule the roost with virtually complete immunity.

All the more reason to admire and support the CGWA for their success in gaining the RR's cooperation at Doug's Beach.

Mike \m/
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windreport wrote:
RR Cops are easy to spot and you have a right to access navigable waterway. If they cite you take it to trial. Criminal trespass, big deal. Jury will not likeRR cops or RR, RR is not a good neighbor.

Dude - go for it. I'll contribute a week's worth of coffee money to your defense fun ($25).
wmike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude - go for it. I'll contribute a week's worth of coffee money to your defense fun ($25).[/quote]

I remember a Doctor that fought the RR in Court and it cost him near $10,000, and he lost. One weeks of coffee will not do it. The train engineers call the RR cops. They did that to us one day out east when a WSer did a close call on crossing the tracks with his car.

Mike
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I remember that incident with the doctor 10-12 years ago. It was at a WS spot on Puget Sound. As I recall, he was arrested, not just cited, for trespassing. The RR obviously feels it is bad PR to smoosh people on their tracks. I would not think they would care otherwise.
wmike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I think you are correct. I also think he had had a citation from Loroc's with BN RR which made it worse. I think a first time citation is now $1000. And that is more than I will gamble with.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: