myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
View south from the sandbar is not pretty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katosandog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:

Very sorry to hear about anyone having an accident in our playground.

Sounds like one of the kids has a very serious injury; let's hope the news gets better.

I am a huge supporter of "terrain parks" et al; the stuff that riders can do on kites, skateboards, skis, snowboards, bikes etc is amazing and makes the sports better for all of us. But to be done right, somebody needs to take ownership of the venue and make sure the users understand the risks and that the hazards are minimized. When I look at the ramps in the river lying on their sides or sitting in a few inches of water it's doesn't seem like that's the case.

The worst possible outcome (other than death) has occurred for one kiter; the next outcome might be a court of law determining that some third party has ownership of the kite ramps and that they are financially responsible for the recent injuries. I obviously hope that doesn't happen.

I can't believe the timing of posting this topic; I sure don't take any pleasure in hearing somebody has been seriously hurt.
Bond1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
Yeah, you tell 'em guys. One time I was rigging at the event site and I waved to a kiter but he didn't wave back. It hurt my feelings and made me feel really, really sad. I think maybe he was high on crack, or something. I also heard that all kiteboarders never floss their teeth, or take out the trash on their designated trash days. I bet none of the kiters are using those features at all any more. Not ever. I bet the one that's sideways has nothing to do with the low water level, but a bunch of kiter crackheads tipped it over on purpose! Yeah, that's it. They snuck out in the middle of the day from their meth labs and tipped it over. What a bunch of mean spirited environmental Nazis, those kiteboarders are! I hate them, and I will NEVER invite them to my birthday party.

That's sarcasm, right?. The point is, we're hoping that at the end of the season these are cleaned up. Some of us think that beautiful river is for everyone, not just kiters.

Last edited by Bond1 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Bond1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katosandog wrote:

I am a huge supporter of "terrain parks" et al; the stuff that riders can do on kites, skateboards, skis, snowboards, bikes etc is amazing and makes the sports better for all of us. But to be done right, somebody needs to take ownership of the venue and make sure the users understand the risks and that the hazards are minimized. When I look at the ramps in the river lying on their sides or sitting in a few inches of water it's doesn't seem like that's the case.

The worst possible outcome (other than death) has occurred for one kiter; the next outcome might be a court of law determining that some third party has ownership of the kite ramps and that they are financially responsible for the recent injuries. I obviously hope that doesn't happen.

I can't believe the timing of posting this topic; I sure don't take any pleasure in hearing somebody has been seriously hurt.

Very well stated.

Years ago guys would come from out of state, cut some bushes down, throw out a carpet, and make camp at a windsurfing beach. When they'd leave in the fall the locals got to watch the carpet rot during the off season.

Something similar happens at the mouth of the White Salmon, where fishermen leave their boats along the shore all winter to rot or be carried away by high water.

I'm hoping the kiting community steps up and takes responsibility for these ramps. There is no gain in pissing off all non kiters by leaving ramps pell mell, helter skelter, and willy nilly, those months when few kiters are on the water.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to crash info. A pretty bad day for some. Get well soon.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-23349-0-asc-0.html
Bret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a little sarcasm is always good!

Kites on the river 6-12-2009 4-42-15 PM[7].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.67 KB
 Viewed:  12285 Time(s)

Kites on the river 6-12-2009 4-42-15 PM[7].jpg

Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmike wrote:
Can we and should we expect kiteboarders to organize to do anything to "clean up after the party"? don't hold your breath, brah. Too many coke heads and beach bums, besides they still might use them you know, someday...

Hey....I am NO COKE HEAD or BEACH BUM!!! NEITHER ARE MY FRIENDS, FAMILY, OR CO-WORKERS....AND I do BOTH sports!! DO YOU?? GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!! THIS IS OUT OF HAND. CLEARLY YOU ARE TOTALLY UNHAPPY IN YOUR LIFE......
Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
Yeah, you tell 'em guys. One time I was rigging at the event site and I waved to a kiter but he didn't wave back. It hurt my feelings and made me feel really, really sad. I think maybe he was high on crack, or something. I also heard that all kiteboarders never floss their teeth, or take out the trash on their designated trash days. I bet none of the kiters are using those features at all any more. Not ever. I bet the one that's sideways has nothing to do with the low water level, but a bunch of kiter crackheads tipped it over on purpose! Yeah, that's it. They snuck out in the middle of the day from their meth labs and tipped it over. What a bunch of mean spirited environmental Nazis, those kiteboarders are! I hate them, and I will NEVER invite them to my birthday party.

YOU HAVE NOT EVER WAVED TO ME SO GET OVER YOURSELF!!! I WAVE CAUSE I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I SEE YOU SINCE YOUR FACE IS SO SOMBER AND ANGRY!!! YOU FORGET TO TAKE YOUR GERITOL?? WHEN IM WINDSURFING,,,,,I SEE MY KITER BUDDYS AND WE HAVE A GREAT TIME TOGETHER.....BECAUSE WE BECAME OPEN MINEDED......GROW UP!!
puppydog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericand holly are being sarcastic, calm down
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible news about the kiter injuries!!! My thoughts are concentrated on positive vibes to all those fighting injuries, especially Theo! My best to him, his family, and all the people involved in saving this young mans life!!

We all take chances to feed our need for adrenaline! These ramps are no different than Log rides at Post canyon, rails at Timberline, or bouys for racing. They are there due to their popularity.

Try not to sweat the small stuff! It leases space in your head! Which clearly detracts from your own personal amplitude, Dude!!

in other words...LET IT SLIDE!!! Cool
ldhr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliders have been out there the past few summers.... and yes - the kiters remove them every fall.
The group is pretty responsible about that.
Except for maybe one ramp that was left behind last year. It was on shore stuck in the bushes. Every user group has bad apples.
The recent injuries are really sad and I hope the injured kiters fully recover.
Just for perspective - 3 people died at Mt. Hood Meadows this past winter, 2 died from head injuries in the terrain parks.
IMHO, Kiting is no worse.... or better.... than any other "extreme" sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: