myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Florida Vacation Properties for Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlooby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Florida Vacation Properties for Windsurfing Reply with quote

Thinking about about the future and possibly getting a place in florida for winter holidays (Jan - Mar).
Looking for suggestions for the 'best' windsurfing locations. I have sailed a few spots in Florida (Calema, TB, dunedin) so I know it can be fickle.
Likes - flat water (intercoastal), good average windspeed (ie more frequent wind than less frequesnt high wind), decent area, decent home prices, road biking area etc... I will sail anything 8-30 knots (perpetual intermediate - jibe & waterstart)
Options:
Destin
Merrit Island
Tarpon Springs (Fed Howard Park)
Tampa
Miami
Keys
Opinions appreciated...
Joe
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jupiter inlet or cocoa beach areas are really good for ocean or mixed venue sailing in that order. take a look at the link compiled by clyde g a wile back:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&t=k&om=1&msa=0&msid=100870502636244485930.00000111c2642afd122dd&z=10&ll=28.486798,-80.68634&spn=0.649376,0.806122

pretty good data.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rented a house in Destin,FL via VacationRoost.Com I'd never spent time in the Panhandle. Thanks to the BP coverage I saw how beautiful the beaches and water look. Plan on taking longboards and short boards and my fishn' pole just in case there is no wind at all.
DaisyDD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Florida is a really cool spot. One thing that's great about it is it's not expensive at all, surprisingly. You'd think with the climate it would be very expensive. I have a friend down there that I visit every year though so i don't think I need a spot. I like wind surfing in the new england area. If I had a choice I would probably pick a spot there. I had a blast up at Martha's Vineyard one year. The winds were really epic and a lot of the views were incredible. Great spot for wind surfing.

Last edited by DaisyDD on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
I just rented a house in Destin,FL via VacationRoost.Com I'd never spent time in the Panhandle. Thanks to the BP coverage I saw how beautiful the beaches and water look. Plan on taking longboards and short boards and my fishn' pole just in case there is no wind at all.

Don't forget the stand-up "Jet ski", SUP, and snorkeling gear, Dawg. There's often enough swell action to make both surface toys fun even in the absence of wind. I have to chuckle at the BP ads in one regard, though. I grew up not far from Destin, and can vouch for two things: the beach and water beauty is not exaggerated in those ads -- I'd say it's understated because some areas have snow-white dunes -- and winter days there can be freaking COLD. Take a 5/3 steamer, some mitts, and a hood so you can enjoy all but the coldest days. And try not to think about the sharks; they're everywhere, so you just gotta suck it up and not worry about them. Maybe they go further south in the winter.

Mike \m/
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fookin sharks!!!? Been here two days just in time for a cold front my arrival day wind in the 30's temps in the 40's. Brought one of my boats down and temps will soon be in the 60's may just go catch one of em' shaaaks have it for dinner.

Mike you do get around. I'll probably sailing tomorrow.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinner's good. Just make sure you're at the right end of the fork. Wink

I've seen many big gray shapes in the water, from the Keys to Pensacola and many spots in between, in boats, airplanes, the Goodyear blimp, and swim trunks, from hundreds of feet above the surface to scores of feet below it. Some were sharks, some dolphins and/or porpoises. Most of them ignored me, some paid WAY too much attention to me, but not one has ever tasted me. I wouldn't worry about them while windsurfing unless locals tell me otherwise; I haven't been to Florida in many years now.

Mike \m/
longboard08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a local from North Florida.... No locals have been attacked in 2011, with only 22 days to go.....
longboard08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islamorada 3 weeks ago....15-20 mph wind average, water temp 75 F... Not sure where SeaDawg is, but just got in from a wave sailing here today in north FL: temp 65 F, water same. Winds light (7.0 superfreak, about 12 mph), waves about waist high. Overheated in spring suit.....
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longboard08 wrote:
Here's a local from North Florida.... No locals have been attacked in 2011, with only 22 days to go.....

Ahhhh, but SeaDawg's not a local. I've heard them South Coast sharks developed a taste for Yankees about 150 years ago, then again 100 years later. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: