myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tom Hedman's unfortunate accident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Tom Hedman's unfortunate accident Reply with quote

Our good friend Tom Hedman had an unfortunate accident while working on his Sprinter van. He was using a drop saw and it caught his right hand, cutting his hand almost off just above the wrist. He is currently at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. A lot of people know Tom especially if you have sailed at the Event Site in the last few years. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Tom for a speedy recovery. I'm sure Tom would like to here from you as he is a regular viewer of this web site.
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Tom, but I hope he is able to recover and return to the water soon. Best wishes to him.
willrox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, we are so sorry to hear about your accident! We will be praying for a complete healing. Your great attitude will aid the recovery! We look forward to seeing you back in the Gorge next spring!
ssplotkin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, So sorry to hear about your accident. We'll be thinking of you and hoping for a quick and complete recovery. Dave & Sarah
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hung out with Tom a few times at the event site. Cant say Ive met many people with more enthusiasm for windsurfing. Hope you get back out soon Tom
mot-manhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am out of Harbor view it not good the doc said it would be a victory if I can pickup keys with that hand after 1 year i am not buying that I will be windsurfing by next summer I would like to thank all the people
that has already helped me wow overwhelming thanks
jimoakes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Love of a sport will get you a long way. Have you ever heard of Hugh Herr?

He lost both legs in an ice-climbing accident. Hugh became an engineer and developed prosthetic legs and feet made out of rubber, and he's a better climber now than before the accident.

My understanding is he was told by doctors he'd never climb again. His attitude was geared toward climbing again no matter what.

As he rehabbed his lower body, he worked out with his upper body thinking he will have to use upper body strength to the max. He observed that with the weight of his legs gone he had less weight to pull up, an ADVANTAGE!

Being positive and creative he experimented with different " feet" attachments. Thus his lower body could be tipped with the best tool for each climb.

My friend Rex had his hand torn up bad when a tire rim exploded a few years ago. He now windsurfs as good or better than before the accident. One simple adjustment he did at first was to set his harness lines so that the pull was more toward his "good" hand.

Good luck Tom
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mot-manhead wrote:
I am out of Harbor view it not good the doc said it would be a victory if I can pickup keys with that hand after 1 year i am not buying that I will be windsurfing by next summer I would like to thank all the people
that has already helped me wow overwhelming thanks

I dont buy it either, I saw a magazine article a while ago of a guy who had both hands transplanted from a donor and was motorcycling around the world like a year later. The fact that he had a double hand transplant was barely a footnote in his article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: