myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bob Dill Custom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmyers wrote:
Well good luck on that mchaco1. 90-95 is way small for my skills and location. Have not had the winds to try the Dill yet, having to uphaul a 6.5 just to slog around.. Had about an hour of good wind tonight, but not reliable enough to even consider the Dill.

Its too small for me too really, but after 2-3 hours of getting tossed each time I go out for the last month and a half, im finally getting some fast rides in (and these little boards really go compared to my 137L that I usually use). Dont let lack of skills stop you, take it out the next time you have plenty of wind and have at it, it will be frustrating, but youll get the hang of it and your bigger boards will be that much easier.
mmyers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, good point, I've got some 99 surflites? hopefully old enough, and still new enough!

I checked the dimples on the bottom of the Dill, they are not symmetrical. If it was intentional, it was after a few beers! Still looks fine tho, should not even be in the water much once on plane.

mchaco1, I can't wait to give it a go, just need a high wind day at my local venue or as isobars suggest, drive further..
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LAST place I'd try to learn using a smaller board would be Port Kelley. It fills in to shore maybe a couple of times a year, and only briefly, and the penalty for coming ashore anywhere other than the pea gravel cove is immense. Go a few miles west to the pumping station or power substation structure beside the highway and sail from the beach beside it.

As Chaco says and does ... Go For It. This sport rewards, often demands, pushing the envelope more than any other sport I've ever tried, yet with the least risk of injury. But PK on a first-time sinker isn't just pushing the envelope; it's more like being folded, spindled, and mutilated by a mail sorting machine gone haywire. You'll wish you'd never started the sport by the time you swim ashore after dark only to face hundreds of yards of thigh-deep mossy boulders and slimy shale slabs between you and that cove ... and not even knowing whether it's to your west or east. I've been riding tiny sinkers for 20 years from Ohio to Texas to the OR coast, and the least sinker-friendly spot I can think of is PK.

Mike \m/
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a snub nose 8'. I think it's a 8'4" or 8'6" with the nose rounded off to 8'. Fun to look at but never really felt dialed on the board like I do my OO. I had my share of ok days on it though. It's actually pretty fast once you get powered up on it but felt weird jumping. It makes a great patio decoration now! Cool

09182011087.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  12224 Time(s)

09182011087.JPG

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched Bob Dill send that thing over double-mast-high every reach for an hour at Swell City. Didn't seem weird to him; it's all in getting dialed in. What I didn't like about them was their turning; it was designed for water-ski-type jibes, not tight slashes ... a good board at the time for newbies to that size.

Mike \m/
mmyers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email reply back from Jeff at www.Northpacificsurfboards.com

It was not a custom board for an individual or it would have his/her name on the bottom. It has a serial # so it was built as a stock board, he thinks around 1989-90. He confirms it should be around 80-85L and he states "We built those boards to last". I'd have to agree! 22 Years later and it's going back for more! Ca'mon wind!

Looks like the newer pintail thruster http://northpacificsurfboards.com/surfb_sail.shtml
mmyers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much to my surprise, port kelley wind turned on right as I got off work tonight.. Exclamation It was gusty but avg in the low 20's and I was really workin hard to keep a 110L and a 5.2 under control in the big swell. I felt overpowered and should have gone down to a 4.2 or 4.7 but not enough light left to take the time and rig another sail. SO..out came the Dill with the 5.2! Very Happy Took a few minutes to get it figured out but managed to get up on plane, hooked in and in the straps.. IT WAS CRAZY FUN and as a bonus, I got my first taste of a few jumps! Then I saw a UFO! lol
Ended up it was the ISS heading SE but looked as if it was coming right up the gorge to zap me with its ray gun Very Happy

What a great day
mmyers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
by the time you swim ashore after dark only to face hundreds of yards of thigh-deep mossy boulders and slimy shale slabs between you and that cove ... and not even knowing whether it's to your west or east.

yep.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmyers wrote:
Much to my surprise, port kelley wind turned on right as I got off work tonight.. Exclamation It was gusty but avg in the low 20's and I was really workin hard to keep a 110L and a 5.2 under control in the big swell. I felt overpowered and should have gone down to a 4.2 or 4.7 but not enough light left to take the time and rig another sail. SO..out came the Dill with the 5.2! Very Happy Took a few minutes to get it figured out but managed to get up on plane, hooked in and in the straps.. IT WAS CRAZY FUN and as a bonus, I got my first taste of a few jumps! Then I saw a UFO! lol
Ended up it was the ISS heading SE but looked as if it was coming right up the gorge to zap me with its ray gun Very Happy

What a great day

Glad to hear it got that far east, and lit up your Dill. Guys got blown off 4.2s at Arlington, with some of the biggest, smoothest swell we've seen all summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: