myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to Maui... need advice. Board size?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Moving to Maui... need advice. Board size?... Reply with quote

So I don't officially have the job yet but I'm hoping to land a job on Maui soon and if it all works out I'll be moving there for at least a year. I know a good way to go is to buy a board once I get there but I have so many boards here in the gorge that I love and am thinking about bring one. I am definately bringing all my masts (they're so expensive) and sails and my boom so that means I will already have one large oversized bad to bring and if I bring the board that will be 2 oversized bags. Wondering if Hawaiian Airlines even lets you bring 2 oversized bags? Their website was not clear.

As far as board choices I have a 62L, 70L, 74L (which is an awesome board I might be purchasing soon from a friend), and a 79L. I am a female sailor, 120 lbs, and am new to waves so will be at Kahana mainly trying to work my way up to the bigger stuff. I'm a decent Gorge sailor but that might not mean much when it comes to sailing waves.

I hear it's not very windy in the winter and am thinking about bring the 79L for float.

Appreciate any advice about all things Maui related. Mahalo
eastfork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived there 15 years
I would take the 79 and 70lt
For me at 160 lb it was a 74 and 86lt
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above had it pretty dialed.
Notice he weighs FORTY lbs more than you, but his big board is the 86, small, 74. He can just barely float the 86 when the winds go to 3 mph.
You can easily float the 62 in that wind.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After living on Maui for the past 3-4 years consistently, I find that you can easily get away with the 70 or 74 as your all around board. Also, it really depends on the shape of the board; if its older or new style; is it quad, thruster or single? I'm a little lighter than you and my big board is 69 tri-fin Tabou, however, I don't sail anything bigger than a 4.5 which works most of the time in the winter. I previously had a 72 ltr board but it just got too big in the waves and wind. If you are not going to sail anything bigger than say a 4.7 then a 74 ltr board will be just fine. You will want your smaller board for high wind days. I use a 65 RRD when it is really windy, but when it gets windy on Maui it also gets choppy, unlike the Gorge with its current. If you are learning to sail ocean waves, it is definitely better to have some volume. There are several guys in the 140 range and all they ever sail are 74 ltr boards. Hope that helps with your decision. Also, I would try to limit the masts - really only need a 370 and maybe 400 if you go to a 4.7 but also I suppose it depends on the specs of your sails. My 370 rigs all my sails 4.5 yo 3.3. Aloha
Sunny15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from all of you... thanks so much. I have one more week to go until I know for sure if I officially have the job so I have a little bit of time to make a decision. I'm thinking about taking the 74L (which is 2010 tabou da curve twinster) and then buying a bigger board if I need it and maybe buy a smaller board too. Then I can put all my other boards on consignment here in Hood River. If I can't fit all three mast then I'll could leave the small 340 mast (great idea loosescrew) which works with my 3.2 and 2.9 or just ship that one. And even if it were to be crazy windy, I don't really see myself sailing any 2.9 days on Maui when I'm new to the whole scene there. 2.9 in the Gorge is fun but 2.9 on Maui sounds scary.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, only you know what is the right board and sail combo to bring for YOU. We don't know how you sail, if you can slog (CraigYester, at 180 lbs., can uphaul a 8'3" fiberglass 80 liter board), and what your preferences really are.
I do notice a tendency with the newer boards to go bigger in volume all around.
Based on over 10 winter trips to Oahu, I'd bring a 90 liter fast wave board, at 150 lbs. Maui, closer to 80 liters.
Sunny15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true LeeD. Very good point.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD has a good point. Maui is always windier than Oahu so definitely smaller board. The da curve is a popular wave board here on the Rock so that should work great. I would leave the 2.9 in the Gorge although today I was on 3.3 in gust's over 40 - not fun but not fun even if I had a smaller sail. Maui is a windy place and you will find that when the wind subsides it is a blessing for a much needed rest. That is when you do other awesome water sports like surfing and SUPing. One very important aspect to living in Maui and to keep in mind is that if you sail almost everyday, you begin to lose the passion for windsurfing. So I make it a point to do other things and mix it up on the days it is light (my biggest sail is 4.5 which = about 18 knots) just to rejuvinate. Haven't done the kite thing yet but it's tempting. Good luck on the new job and your new adventure. See you at Uppers where we can share the waves!
Sunny15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure no ones reading this post anymore but I just wanted to announce... I got the job!!! Very Happy And I'm on my way to Muai this Saturday!!! So stoked! Thanks again for everyones advice. Aloha!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations.

i tested boards there two years. 2 weeks the first go about and 4 the next. i tend to want lots of power, all the time. my perspective may vary from some. good point about getting sick of it, i guess. a luxury not afforded most other places in the world.

would try lots of different spots to help keep from wearing out your stoke, perhaps? sprecks and outer baldwin were my favorite spots to mix it up. also, blasting around on lots of different gear helped bunches too. i learned a lot from making varied stuff work in lit up to barely powered conditions. my favorite days were with 80-100 liter boards in "light winds" with a 5.8 in my hands in monster swell. hardly anyone out, and super long rides at uppers.

at one period, over a few days, i would get suckered into going out with smallish stuff, then had to swim it back in. binged on sailing super lit for a few days on way bigger gear afterward to make up for the frustration.

mountain biking was lots of fun too. wish i had more time to do that there. good luck in your new endeavors. lots to do. mix it up and have fun!

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: