myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Iwindsurf or do I?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donmcd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Iwindsurf or do I? Reply with quote

This is not Politics but Iwindsurf slams me there every time I try to get the word out.So far windsurfers and kiters have not cared much or are unaware that up to 20 additional trains of 100 or more cars loaded with uncovered very friable coal is planned to run per day, and night every day and all year. Try getting to the River through all that.
I have been going to Sierra Club meetings and have seen no one from the recreational community yet. This post will quickly be sent to the political grave yard where no one who reads these forums will ever see it unless they are coming here to talk politics. These cars lose 500 lbs of dust each in transit but the coal is practically free. It blows for great distances and falls into the river. It gets all over everything and is a chemical trespass issue for land owners and state parks. Can we at least get the cars covered?
Just like everything else, no one will care until it is too late and all the payoffs are in. The sainted Warren Buffet is behind this. This is the biggest threat to the Gorge that I have seen in my 24 years here.
There is a big meeting Tuesday night at 6:30 to 9:00 pm in Hood River at the River Side Community Church. Music , Food and Speakers.
For the love of Mike, all you heros should get off your keesters and stand together to protect the reason that you moved here. Everyone is so jaded and discouraged but allthough we live, work and play in a transportation corridor we have a right not to be polluted, spewed upon and have our property trespassed upon by petrochemical poison.
rowenaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From CGWA: http://gorgewindsurfing.org/2011/09/coal-on-the-columbia-attend-a-meeting/

There are windsurfers & kiteboarders who care deeply about windsports and the quality of the water/air in this fantastic playground called The Gorge.

I agree that having uncovered coal being blown all over the Gorge is bad news. Thanks for sharing more information!

Here is a related article: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/10/26/2244776/enviro-groups-upset-about-coal.html
donmcd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowenaman wrote:
From CGWA: http://gorgewindsurfing.org/2011/09/coal-on-the-columbia-attend-a-meeting/

There are windsurfers & kiteboarders who care deeply about windsports and the quality of the water/air in this fantastic playground called The Gorge.

I agree that having uncovered coal being blown all over the Gorge is bad news. Thanks for sharing more information!

Here is a related article: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/10/26/2244776/enviro-groups-upset-about-coal.html
mmyers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how your going to be able to "seize this unique opportunity to stop coal exports".

I hope the loads get covered and it would be great to get the rails out of the gorge completely. Nothing like going into a national scenic area and not having access to the river, plus if you spend the night anywhere near the river, the constant rail traffic is horrible.
eastfork

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 20 years ago, we developed and patented a cover for the rail cars called a bladder tarp.
It was to be used for one- a cover for the coal cars to keep the dust from getting blown all over the land, and secondly it was to be used to fill the bladder tarps with the ash from the utility and take back to the mine.
In the trip to the ultility the coal picks up moisture if it rains and thus burns with less BTU's. Another benifit to the tarp.
The ash can be used to combat the acidic drainage that comes from opening these mines to water flow. If you go back to the coal mine states, you will see that any stream coming out of a mining area, is orange colored and nothing can live in that water.
Think of the coal dust in the river and the fish.
Well only recently the utilities that burn coal for power, are being subjected to regulation to control the ash that they have piled high near the facilty, which has been "blowin in the wind"

But back then, do you really think the railroad and utility would have anything to do with such an idea? Absolutely zero.
It complicates and slows down the turn around of the trains.
Do you think anything has changed?
donmcd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: iwindsurf or do I? Reply with quote

This is not altruistic , I probably have more at stake in this than some.
As a farmer growing high value fruit along the River and with the Rail Road right through my property, this video has me worried.
http://youtu.be/5hV5FXtHCiU
There will be up to 20 trains of coal a day coming through my property and going on to Longview soon.
Chemical trespass is serious stuff. A lot of Hood River lives and plays in this transportation corridor.
BNSF says that each car loses 500 to 2000 lbs in transit. They are not happy about this. Coal dust settles between the track ballast and undermines the rail bed, it also can cause fires. The BNSF has advised shippers that they are responsible for securing their loads. I know exactly what this means.
I was an exec for Conrail back East and headed Damage Prevention. I know that Shippers are advised and directed to at least round the loads and probably to spray a surfactant on the top of the coal to reduce blow off. If they do it, it can reduce blow off by up to 85% but do they and is that good enough in a windy corridor like the Gorge?
However:

Initially, the gut reaction is to see that the enviro’s are on this and to think that it is just one of those exaggerated threats or that at least, someone else is taking care of this. Most people are busy and will ignore it as just another thing that we have no control over and after all—there are at least two sides to every issue.

But--- One other thing I have to remember.
I am also the Chair of the Dallesport Community Council and volunteered for the job of informing the Community of perceived threats to the public , I can’t ignore this. I am thinking of the Sun Ridge Development and how close they are to the tracks.
Check out the above link to a video that says it all.
They don’t even cover the cars!
The “Coal Hard Truth” meeting tonight at the River Side Church across from the Library tonight at 7 PM. I think it was too late but there will be music and deserts at the meeting and several speakers.
Connor is kind of the rebel with a cause guy and has been organizing and putting up flyers around town but since he is not very assertive, I doubt that he has many of the students informed or on board with this.
This kind of stuff certainly qualifies as community public service.
I will be speaking at the meeting tonight.

All the best,
Don
damel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: iwindsurf or do I? Reply with quote

donmcd wrote:
this video has me worried.
http://youtu.be/5hV5FXtHCiU
There will be up to 20 trains of coal a day coming through my property and going on to Longview soon.

Wow that video really hit me. I can't believe this is a real problem.
Unfortunately, the fines and regulation that hit corporations for negatively impacting wild life pale in comparison to class action law suites from people and by the time negative impacts surface in humans the damage has been done and is irreversible.

I just moved out west and the Gorge is on the top of my list for places to visit. I wish the locals the best of luck and find some comfort that individuals have already developed solutions. I hope the corporations catch on before you patent expires. "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

donmcd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good meeting in Hood River last night. Over 100 concerned and intelligent people showed up. Asked the audience how many were there in support of the coal shipments and guess what--none. Preaching to the choir but there was a post meeting letter writing time at the end that produced plenty of input to our elected representatives. Still need to get more of the general community involved. It is surprisingly hard to really get the word out.
If you care, please invite your local politicians and we still need more people from the windsurfing and kiting community. I counted at least 5 or 6 sailors and was very glad to have a few of my recreational brothers and sisters in the crowd.
Never mind the economic problems associated with increased coal use. Exporting raw materials is the dumbest possible way to create jobs or energy security in the United States. And it will reduce coal prices in China, which will lead to more coal burning, which will alter the climate in ways that are not good for anyone. If you have not seen it, this video says it all: http://youtu.be/5hV5FXtHCiU

Thanks to all who attended and let's be encouraged that people can still protect what they will work to protect.
STAUDA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video makes me sick and I suspect those trains might too. Don, you didn't really mention the organizations behind the campaign to fight these trains. It seems like The Columbia Riverkeepers and Sierra Club are a big part. I will be supporting them and calling my representatives.
Dave
http://columbiariverkeeper.org/top-stories/hood-river-coal-forum-a-success/
mmyers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those clods of dust look terrible. I did see a vid of a train that was sprayed and the dust was controlled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: