myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Caribbean?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Caribbean? Reply with quote

Tried this in Caribbean forum but got no response, so gonna go local . . .

Going to St. Martin for a couple days, then on boat for a week in mid-February (sailor, kiter and 6 others). Understand Orient Beach on SM is the place to rent gear (Vela, other vendors). Wondering if anyone's has had experience traveling with gear on private boat to other islands (BVI, St Barts, Antigua, etc.).

What would be good places to try and put on our itinerary, keeping in mind the non-wind-junkie status of the majority of our group. Also any local knowledge on places (dining, diving, etc.) would be appreciated.

Finally, any wave sailing possibilities in Feb? Prepared for big board/big sail flat water conditions, but some swell would be sweet.

Thanks.
mikej1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Windward island sailing Reply with quote

There are a couple of windsurfing centers on St. Barts. The narrows, between St. Kitts and Nevis can have some really good bump & jump sailing with waves on the north east point of Nevis. The lee of this island is one of the most picturesque anchorages in the area. Winston Crooke runs Mountain biking/ windsurfing Nevis for more info. Jan.- Feb. usually have the most radical conditions. Skip the BVI's as the passage to, from St. Maarten is a long shlogg.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Antigua and Turks & Caicos in Feb. The beaches are incredible but during two weeks in both places there were only a couple of marginally sailable days and no rental equipment available. There was a lot more kite action.

I suggest you take up kiting to improve your chances of getting out on the water.
MrFish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:

I suggest you take up kiting to improve your chances of getting out on the water.

Especially recommended if you want to look like a geek.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tain't so easy to windsurf in the 'bean unless you have tons of money to spend for rentals, and also happen to stay at a windsurf resort.
Case in point, PuertoRico. I"m going for 3 weeks next week. Called some spots, they want $75 a day for one setup. And you can't take the gear to another beach.
Tried JetBlue and Continental Cargo. They won't even help private parties. FedX wants like $500 for a tiny board and maybe two sails.
So kiting is the only alternative. For $75 each way, I can bring 3 kites and a wakestyle board. Now I haven't used the 3 foils since '00, as windsurfing is my passion, but no gear there, and no way to get gear there.
bob1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, very irie.

Just lucky we're leaving from SM which has several quality rental outfits. Already corresponded with 2 that will rent a rig for a week and allow it off island (one will even deliver to the boat!).

Yes, it costs a lot, but the gear is top notch and beats hassle/cost of haulin' mine down (I figure I'd drop more coin per day on lifts up at Tahoe). Besides, while I'm not expecting world class sailing, I'm hoping for some "priceless" moments on this trip, like that first sunset wave sesh on Oregon coast, sailing in middle of a rainbow and herd of dolphins off Sprecks, etc.

More tips, advice, and info welcomed . . . .
tlucoff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

san martin is fun. orient beach is flat. dont bring stuff they have it on the beach. bonaire is better also there is good equiptment to rent right on the beach. its a fun place to sail and hang out right on the beach. there are places to eat right there. its very cool. aruba is also good. many windsurf rental places at palm beach. i like bonaire better. martinque sucks and so does curacau. barbados is good but bring equiptment as there is lots of traveling.
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary is now more established, will be cruising from St Martin to St Barts, Anguilla and Saba.

Any info re these islands??
markwike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob1,

I've windsurfed many years in St. Bart's and there's some great sailing to be had. If you need gear, I suggest you rent/stop by from Windwave Power in the Grand Cul De Sac.

It's a shallow flat bay that's great for freestyle. If you tack upwind and get outside the bay, you'll find a reef break that offers decent wavesailing and nice ramps.

The shop's owner is a former French Olympic sailor who is cool and can help out; there are some great sailors on the island.

Closer to the airport is Baie De St. Jean which has a reef break as well. It's a shallow reef so watch the tides. The inside is fun for cruising and if you tack upwind and get outside the reef, you'll find great ocean sailing with some nice swell and long long runs.

If you are sailing to the island, you won't be able to anchor near Grand Cul De Sac but could anchor in the east end of Baie De St. Jean. You'll most likely end up in the main harbor of Gustavia which is very beautiful.

I also recommend anchoring of Saline beach on the south side of the island and also Columbier which is a sheltered bay.

Enjoy!
markwike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob1- one more thing, the bar to hit for sundowners in St. Barts is Le Select which is on the waterfront in Gustavia- can't miss it.

Walking distance from Gustavia is a cool Brazilian restaurant which is also the sunset spot: http://www.dobrazil.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: