myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Got fins?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blockidog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angulo wrote:
call matt 7787547756 . He can do it professionally and maybe only charge $40 or $50 bucks. and because he's kinda a perfectionist and a windsurfer he'll measure it good and make sure it works. also , he's in swampscott/ marblehead.... not far from u

ANGULO!! Lurkin' on the EC Forum...HNY!!
blockidog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...consider cutting the holes and then hitting the edges with a lighter to melt/seal the slits shut?
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blockidog wrote:
...consider cutting the holes and then hitting the edges with a lighter to melt/seal the slits shut?

A hot knife might be safer then an open flame on those materials. Or, use some sail repair tape applied along the new cuts and folded over to the other surface. It should bond nicely to the tarp material, and if you ever get it sewn, they should be able to just sew through the layers.
damel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to fit my 78L Goya Quad with the fins in the bag no problem but I am not surprised the 92L gets tight. I have a foam block that I pressed the fins into once and just make sure I put it on the board the same way each time. I only use the block of foam when I am traveling with friends and I know storage will get crowded. I wouldn't go too crazy making sure the foam is perfect or customizing a bag but when you consider a new set of quad fins is $243 busting a fin is no laughing matter.

Enjoy the board I took mine out this weekend in cross-on conditions and loved the upwind performance for getting out of the mush and into the good stuff. The 92L is definitely on my radar I bet the board performs really well despite the extra volume.

swmckay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damel wrote:
I am able to fit my 78L Goya Quad with the fins in the bag no problem but I am not surprised the 92L gets tight. I have a foam block that I pressed the fins into once and just make sure I put it on the board the same way each time.

Yep, it's a tight fit! But the foam block idea is great; I'll do this to protect against damage in my basement.

damel wrote:

Enjoy the board I took mine out this weekend in cross-on conditions and loved the upwind performance for getting out of the mush and into the good stuff. The 92L is definitely on my radar I bet the board performs really well despite the extra volume.

I wanted something that would rip and stay upwind in the lighter winds we get around here. I've been resorting to using a 100l Fanatic Skate, but it's just not its job to do tight top and bottom turns. The boyz at Goya emphatically say that the 92l will handle as well as an 84l single fin in higher wind while giving better light wind performance, so my thinking was that the larger size would be a good complement to the 74l single-fin wave board and the 85l single-fin freewave I already have. I'll definitely let people know how it works in Nahant/Corporation/Coastguard conditions once I've got some time on it.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. (Iso, I plan to start with your idea: razor knive, cloth binding tape and fabric glue. Easy enough to sew that later if it's not solid.)
greyghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the new board scott !
thanks for the advice re the skate and young gun.
see ya on the water in the spring !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: