myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
off season practicing with a skateboard ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: off season practicing with a skateboard ? Reply with quote

pretty much decided to hang it up for the season til hopefully only mid/end of March.

Just looking for opinions from people on whether practicing with a skateboard would be helpful. I have a fairly large unfinished basement where I could mess around Smile Don't own a skateboard as yet.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing alot of wind in your basement???
NickB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google "long distance pumping", or "ldp", it's a great off-season core workout (you'd need a big basement though, better off at the park, but not sure where you live maybe you're snowed-in?).
I do some occasionally with a Loaded Vanguard board, it's nice to workout while gliding and carving. But in retrospect, I'd have gotten a Vanguard Ceviche... check their videos. Wear wrist-guards ad a helmet, trust me.
greyghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Laughing alot of wind in your basement???

ha ha, too funny !
just a dehumdifier, me and my hot air.
thinking about balance and carving practice more than aerobic exercise
(have ice hockey for that Smile
greyghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
google "long distance pumping", or "ldp", it's a great off-season core workout (you'd need a big basement though, better off at the park, but not sure where you live maybe you're snowed-in?).
I do some occasionally with a Loaded Vanguard board, it's nice to workout while gliding and carving. But in retrospect, I'd have gotten a Vanguard Ceviche... check their videos. Wear wrist-guards ad a helmet, trust me.

looks like a good work out, but basement way to small for that
long boards are supposed to be better for carving correct?
NickB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, long board and wide trucks, but they're not very compatible with a smaller basement. To play around with balance and do smaller carves in a basement, a smaller board should be fine, and a "bigger smaller" board such as the ceviche could offer the best of all worlds, it seems to do it all and got rave reviews, but might be hard to find new (out of stock at mfr)
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: off season practicing with a skateboard ? Reply with quote

greyghost wrote:
Just looking for opinions from people on whether practicing with a skateboard would be helpful. I have a fairly large unfinished basement

Unless your basement ceiling is higher than most, I suggest a helmet. Wink

And while the skateboard would help neural skills, I'd add Pilates, exercise balls, etc. for whole body aerobic, anaerobic, and strength development. There's no reason you need to drive to the rink for all your exercise, and core strength is a huge advantage in hockey.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time on a board is time on a board! Do it. But watch those wrists if you've never skated before, and are over the age of 16... Concrete is a lot harder than water!

http://wind-nc.com
windydoug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about buying a longboard and a Kahuna Creations Land Paddle?

http://www.kahunacreations.com/

I do it on the road and in the gym where I teach and once rolling/moving even use the paddle to simulate a boom (for balance and actually flipping the paddle/sail) as I jibe and hop to ride the board goofy footed. With the paddle you never have to put your feet down (It's great exercise), and loosening the trucks on the longboard will help with sharper turns in basement. You could of course use a regular short skateboard to acheive the same result, but the longboard gives a larger more stable platform for switching your feet and is truly more sailboard like.

For a true carving experience do a Hamboard.

http://www.hamboards.com/

Six of the guys around here (Rochester, NY) bought em (thery are not cheap) and even though they are 6 feet long and have larger wheels and trucks, they can turn around inside the width of a normal one care wide driveway, and are very solid.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a bigger basement, I think you need to attach a mast base to the skateboard and do some land sailing outside at nearby lighted parking lot. Maybe you need a larger skateboard, or better yet a mountain board with large wheels to safely go over nearly all of the pebbles, bumps & crevices. You can do figure 8s in a 200 ft by 200 ft lot.

Land sailing (street windsurfing, dirt windsurfing) keeps your jibing skills sharp (the trickier steering might even improve them) and your older backup rigs are more than good enough. BUT, unless you are indestructible you also need a really serious helmet plus knee pads, elbow pads & wrist guards (which are also needed in your basement.

Land sailing greatly extends your season. I can land sail every month of the year in Iowa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: