myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chibichibi wrote:
season ON. Laughing

If Chibichibi says it then it must be true!
today, there's 5.0 wind in the middle of crissy, but none on the side....it's coming, I'm telling you.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: NATURAL BRIDGES Reply with quote

Well Mother Nature tricked me yesterday. The iWindsurf projection looked good so I loaded the van and went. My SKYMATE measured over 20 knots in the gusts from the parking lot overlooking the bridge. I'm going! Rigged and suited up and got to the beach and the wind went to zero. Even those "almost no wind to fly" kites that families bring could not be coaxed up into the air.

I waited around to see if it was just a lull. Checked out the inside of the natural bridge. Seastars and crabs and anenomes. It was low tide. After an hour I packed up and left.

Then today, Mother Nature was exceedingly kind. Same place. Only read 18 knots, but good to go. Rigged and suited up and got to the beach and found the wind still on. Plus there was also good surf coming in sets. Time enough to get out and then great swell to play on. I avoided Sidewalks directly as it had quite a few surfers and I cannot afford to get caught inside on that rock, but I played on the far downwind shoulders and had swell several times higher than my head and I was not even down in the trough.

Had to take a break once to warm my hands and get a drink of water. Then back out. Just great! I am hoping this is the season kick off and there is no more waiting.

By the way, does anyone know the physiology of why hands can get cold the first time out, but seem to handle it fine the times after?

Wishing everyone a great, great, incredible season.

Windward1
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capillaries in the hand don't expand to larger size to fill with warm blood until it get's stretched out. Boy, non technical jargon eh?
After freezing your hands, the vessels finally stretch to allow more blood, so your hand stays warmer the second sesh.
Some cold sailors run until they start to sweat, the capillaries expanded, but that takes about 20 minutes hard running.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Cold then warm hands Reply with quote

Thanks Lee.

It is absolutely amazing the difference it makes. My hands felt like they were coming out of frost bite the first 45 minute session. No problems whatsoever the second session.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold then warm hands Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Thanks Lee.

It is absolutely amazing the difference it makes. My hands felt like they were coming out of frost bite the first 45 minute session. No problems whatsoever the second session.

How about getting a thicker wetsuit? I have a 6/4 which keeps my body so warm, I get enough warm blood to send it to the extremities.
I highly recommend it. You can never be TOO warm in cold water.
Sure, it's another wetsuit to own and store, but well worth the expense.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: 6/4 Wetsuit Reply with quote

Well, I could do that, but I do not like being too warm. I was fine yesterday except for the hands. And that was only during the first time out. My wetsuit was 4/3.

I think I might consider gloves before getting the thicker wetsuit. Although you never know. I used to only use a 3/2. And then I got older.....
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
ringe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Coyote to 3rd ave channel was rocking today - thermal Reply with quote

It was mid 20s today outside at Coyote between 2 & 6 pm. There's a similar setup for tomorrow afternoon - worth watching for.
4 guys were out. Gerritt, I saw you launch at the wall and power out.
I was 5.3 / 95 ltr OPed. Could have rigged 4.5.
Hunt Surprised
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: 3rd Ave. Reply with quote

3rd Ave seemingly came up later than Coyote on Wednesday but was filled in solid by around 4pm until sunset. Only a handful of people out to enjoy the tremendous conditions (I should just burn my ski pass now). Water on inside was definitely a little shallow coming back in though! Fin got nice and polished up. Tide situation is better today.

Question- What is launching from the "wall" at Coyote?

gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: The Wall Reply with quote

Its a Hunt term: meaning the NW corner of the water near the power lines at coyote. I parked on airport blvd and launched there because the park shuts the gate at 5:00 and I wanted to sail until dusk. The "wall" is the levy keeping the water from undermining the road.

Or, its some place in the Gorge where Iso sails, but I don't go there.

It was a long walk to water's edge in the low tide. It was an even longer walk thru the bay mud to find even 12" of water to body drag and eventually waterstart. I'm surprised 3rd even worked. You must have had to walk across more than one sand bar to get back home.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 339 of 427

Jump to: