myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Palo Alto Delivers Post Nooner for the Mud Dawgs Reply with quote

5 of us sailed Palo Alto on 4.0 to 5.0 sails from 1 to 2:30PM. I (223#) was on 4.8 Hucker and was PERFECTLY rigged for the conditions. Best day ever on a 4.x sail given I made most of my jibes and seldom had to slog while the Hucker handles the gusts well as long as you pay attention and don't let one sneak up on ya. GPS said I did 19.8 miles in just over an hour of sailing when you subtract the slogging in and out to the wind. The channel swell on the other side of the Bay was really big for Palo Alto so Third Ave must have been huge! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Third 3/6/12 Reply with quote

Yes, Third was indeed swellicious yesterday. Channel surfing at its finest. Solid 4.2 for me from 3-4:15, when we ran out of water. Swell was up to shoulder high and in places was setting up smooth undulating ramps that could be "surfed" straight downwind toward the bridge. With a 1.5 knot ebb, getting upwind was as easy as falling in!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Third 3/6/12 Reply with quote

Agreed Gerrit, the swell was fantastic. Got a clip of a 30 sec swell ride using a helmet cam:

gerritt wrote:
Yes, Third was indeed swellicious yesterday. Channel surfing at its finest. Solid 4.2 for me from 3-4:15, when we ran out of water. Swell was up to shoulder high and in places was setting up smooth undulating ramps that could be "surfed" straight downwind toward the bridge. With a 1.5 knot ebb, getting upwind was as easy as falling in!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Third 3/6/12 Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
Agreed Gerrit, the swell was fantastic. Got a clip of a 30 sec swell ride using a helmet cam:

I remember looking at those swells and thinking..."Wow. Halfpipe for windsurfers!". Delighted you got the video evidence... I spent the session trying to do exactly what you did here, and got a load of such well rides in, though none even approaching the 30 second mark. 15 secs was probably my limit, maybe even less than that. Maybe its because I was on a man-sized sail (4.0), not that girlie 3.7 stuff.... Wink.

But what a blast it was.

Watching the video, its very interesting to hear the sudden silence as you ride dead downwind....noisy wind-rush at the beginning before you turn/ride, and again at the end after you turn out of the swell, and beautiful silence in between. Not something you get to experience very often in a windsurfing video with the original audio unedited...
Siebold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, here's a picture from tuesday @ 3rd. Don't know who this guy is but maybe someone identifies himself... Wink
Was a great day!

3rd_2012_03_06_tn.jpg
 Description:
chocolate city
 Filesize:  1.04 MB
 Viewed:  16209 Time(s)

3rd_2012_03_06_tn.jpg

DonORiordan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siebold wrote:
hey guys, here's a picture from tuesday @ 3rd. Don't know who this guy is but maybe someone identifies himself... Wink
Was a great day!

Cool picture. Amazing how much of SFO itself shows up. Looked at full scale, it seems this guy is on a Mistral board, with a 4.2 Ezzy Wave SE, might help track down the sailor.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges on Saturday Reply with quote

Not bad. Not bad.

Blowing 20 mph on the outside pretty consistently. A little up and down near shore. Occasional swell sets arriving.

I had a good time. And am sipping a Boont Amber Ale at the moment reminiscing on the sesh.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Sunday 3/18, 11AM Reply with quote

Bodega, Sunday 11AM. 21 / gust 31: somewhat outside my comfort zone, both in gustiness and in water (NOAA: 49.1F) and air temperature (around 47F). This was the first time that I have tried to sail Bodega, and the ebb tide current felt like it was significant. My skills have crashed over the winter, and I was barely able to handle even my new 4.5.

Despite only getting in a couple of short and very poorly sailed reaches, the experience was worthwhile as a gauge on the site and conditions relative to my current (in)abilities.

Rip Curl 5/4 hooded wetsuit worked very comfortably in these conditions, apart from requiring Houdini feats to put on and take off.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Vivid description. But you are going to have to get more of a session in to make the gettin' into and gettin' outa that wetsuit worthwhile;)
EBaySwell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Reply with quote

Berkely - Sunday afternoon- plenty of wind. The shoal was fun for some wavelets and smooth water behind...until it gets too shallow! Good times
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 341 of 427

Jump to: