myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Magazine -- RIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goinoff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Magazine -- RIP Reply with quote

Bummer Days!!

Got my first issue of Transworld surf yesterday in replacement for remaining issues of Windsurfing Mag. Big surprise for me...Yet not...Nothing lasts forever..
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Magazine -- RIP Reply with quote

goinoff wrote:
Bummer Days!!

Got my first issue of Transworld surf yesterday in replacement for remaining issues of Windsurfing Mag. Big surprise for me...Yet not...Nothing lasts forever..

TRANSURFUAL MAGAZINE SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT RAG....WINDSURFING MAGAZINE MANAGED TO DESTROY ITSELF THRU AVOIDANCE OF REALITY...REALITY IS NOT "THE HIGH WIND BOARD TEST"... WHERE MOST OF US LIVE IT IS CLOSER TO LIGHT OR MEDIUM......SAILING NEAR YOUR HOME WILL BECOME EVEN MORE OF A REALITY AS FUEL PRICES REACH $6....$7...$8 PER GALLON.THINK THAT IS A REACH? ONE ATTACK ON IRAN WILL REMOVE ALL DOUBT....MIGHT WANNA SHOP LONGBOARDS WHILE THEY ARE STILL UNCOOL AND AFFORDABLE...OR MAYBE THAT FORMULA STUFF WILL START TO MAKE SENSE AGAIN.WHAT WILL NEVER MAKE SENSE{OR A PROFIT} IS A PUBLICATION BASED ON 90% DAYDREAMS AND 10% REALITY.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KellyGeygan:

WINDSURFING magazine did nothing of the sort.

There was as much, if not more, moderate and light-wind coverage than any other windsurfing magazine in the entire damn world. The editor (me!) learned to sail on Formula gear, was from the land of light wind (Florida!) and fully appreciated the need for real world windsurfing. That's why I tested 30 boards of 100 liters and above last year in Hatteras rather than in Maui.

Your comment about "shopping longboards before they are cool again" shows how ludicrously out of touch you are with what's going on in the sport of windsurfing. WINDSURFING magazine has been touting longboards since the release of the Kona, and has *guaranteed* run more SUP sailing coverage than other wind rags (I did TWO SUP board tests!) and had lots of hot shots.

That whole "focus on the high wind thing" happened in the mid-90's, not the new millenium. Maybe that was when you stopped reading?

If you're going to talk trash about something someone who genuinely cared about the sport worked hard on, please at least be familiar with the product you're trashing.

To everyone else: Sorry, it's early and I must be cranky!

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have a side in this argument but I'm curious when you guys tested light wind stuff, why was San Diego never on the list? It's obviously the best light wind location on west west coast as far as numbers of launches and sweet rigging areas. Could have generated a little more interest in the sport in SoCal by doing so. Don't get me wrong, Florida is also a light wind haven but they already seem to have quite a large interest base in the sport. At least enough to support several national events each year. The only events on the left coast are way up north. If you live in SD or LA you don't get much chance to participate locally in any events, much less a national one. Sorry to see your mag go. Was a subscriber for years. No so much for the euipment tests as I can only afford used stuff but the lifestyle pieces were cool, found out about Cabarete that way. The sailing tips were another reason. Thanks for the hard work now I have to go find a Windsport mag......
tomg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOTTA! toss out some accolades for Josh and the rest of the WS Mag crew for a great effort. They were out on the west coast way more than the previous writers and really had a nice publication going strong (contentwise that is). I stopped subscribing some 7 -10 years ago because all the coverage was small board /warm water stuff with a bunch of "objective" board testing: why nothing about SF Bay or the hidden coves of the West coast? Those issues inferred that Hood River was the only place to sail in the West. Then a few years ago (perhaps about the time Josh became editor?) the magazine started featuring SF Bay, Baja and even Oregon coastal sailing. Not only covering broader geography but also some of the crossover sports like SUP. We all know the board tests fed the advertisers which made the thing possible, but it was the human interest stories and the quest for broad, topical coverage that set it apart.

Thank you WS Mag!!

-Tom G.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked forward to every new issue of Windsurfing mag. Liked WindTracks too back in the day. What are our options now?
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
I looked forward to every new issue of Windsurfing mag. Liked WindTracks too back in the day. What are our options now?

windsport Magazine
http://www.windsport.com/

p.s. Mad props to Josh and the crew who worked so hard at Windsurfing for so long. We'll miss your production, but still hope to see you on the water.
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[
Thank you for the reply..I am glad we can chat....it appears we have a difference in perception...

Never once did I see a "Formula Board Shootout" soooooooooo
"As much or more" of nothing is still a bit shy of anything at all.

30 boards of above 100 liters? That is a light air board? Must be windy where you live....doubt you would be sailing much where 90% of the population exists.

"ludicrously out of touch"? Apparently another perception gap here..I sailed yesterday 42 {GPS}miles on an 11.0...sailed 4 days ago on 6.8 and 7.7..I feel in touch....but perception could make it appear different.

Market economics determine what businesses survive...it is like economic Darwinism..that the magazine failed says it all.
It is not really "talking trash" as much as seeing the failure of a system.
If you bought my magazine and had some criticism...I would be very interested, as reacting to my readers feedback is what insures my economic survival.

You worked hard for a company that didnt make enough money to stay in business..BUT you were likely payed.That is why most people work hard..Cognitive dissonance is not the solution.
.Learn from the experience.
quote="jsampiero"]KellyGeygan:

WINDSURFING magazine did nothing of the sort.

There was as much, if not more, moderate and light-wind coverage than any other windsurfing magazine in the entire damn world. The editor (me!) learned to sail on Formula gear, was from the land of light wind (Florida!) and fully appreciated the need for real world windsurfing. That's why I tested 30 boards of 100 liters and above last year in Hatteras rather than in Maui.

Your comment about "shopping longboards before they are cool again" shows how ludicrously out of touch you are with what's going on in the sport of windsurfing. WINDSURFING magazine has been touting longboards since the release of the Kona, and has *guaranteed* run more SUP sailing coverage than other wind rags (I did TWO SUP board tests!) and had lots of hot shots.

That whole "focus on the high wind thing" happened in the mid-90's, not the new millenium. Maybe that was when you stopped reading?

If you're going to talk trash about something someone who genuinely cared about the sport worked hard on, please at least be familiar with the product you're trashing.

To everyone else: Sorry, it's early and I must be cranky![/quote]
skid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Hey they did a great job Reply with quote

Windsurfing is slowly decreasing in gross sales, no surprise there. Many in the US are still stoked to sail. The content of Windsurfing has improved markedly over the last several years. Josh did a great job. So the magazine falling by the wayside is not an surprise as a viable business.

BUT and this is a very large but, Windsurfing was how a spread out US windsurfing scene got it's fix. It is a large loss for us as a tribe. The mag kept some sense of what was going on in the industry, PWA, new gear, sailing sites... Let alone keep up your stoke in February in New England where good winds mean 35 degree water.
Many of our shops and destination resorts communicated/advertised their wares via Windsurfing. Granted the sailing in Wisconsin, Florida, Massachusetts, and California are all different. Each with different seasons and conditions, and yet many conditions the same. How do you cater the content to such a range of readers? Some who may spend copiously each year on their hobby and others who revel in buying used sails at swaps for $50 and getting 4 seasons out of said sail. Do you do travel articles to locales that are amazing and not all can afford? Gear reviews about gear some readers lack the skill, conditions, $ to even consider the purchase? More instructional articles for real content(my personal choice-hey I have lots of room for improvement)?
So to those who were employed by the magazine: VIA CON DIOS, may you sail 4.5 to 7.0 as much as possible and marry someone who loves to sail more than you do.

IF you did lose your job and are still reading please give this a thought. There are British, Aussie, Japanese, French, German, Spanish... windsurfing magazines. The advertisers in Windsurfing need to get to their
customers in the US somehow. Perhaps one of the other mags, my suggestion is Windsurf the UK magazine, need a US/North America sales rep for ad space. The said magazine could get a toe hold in an established market. The advertisers such as VELA and the Baja destinations need a place to reach their customers in the US. And you could use your industry ties to sell ad space for the US market and help the new mag reach a whole new audience in the new world. I bet in 20 phone calls/emails you can get an idea if this could work. Sail fast and sail often.
matterhorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go my transworld surf replacment with it's beautiful cover: 3 massiv waves, white caps in the background, looks like sideshore wind, one dude paddling out. The first thought that crossed my mind was: where is the guy with the windsurfer going down the line? Well, I may have to get used to the pictures of the laydown crew from now on...
I was always very excited to receive my issue of the windsurfing mag. No need to talk trash about their work. I agree they coverd the "real world" for joe blow and me very well and mixed it up with nice stuff featuring the pros. And really, who want's to read about some guy's sesh where the wind never came up and look at his picture going 3mph?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: