myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to windsurf near Cabo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Where to windsurf near Cabo? Reply with quote

We are going to Cabo in a while and I was wondering if anyone knows of a place to rent equipment there. I know Vela is close, but it looks like their equipment rental shuts down in march and we are going mid april. Any suggestions?
victor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason vela shuts down in april is because the wind usually does, too. vela is in los barriles, a couple hours north. a nice town and worth a visit if only to escape resort hotel/condo ville.

i saw an early 90s vintage rig at one of the rental palapas on playa medano in cabo.

there isn't a lot of sailable wind in cabo san lucas itself even during the season.
antonius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Barriles is only an hour from Cabo and although the official season for the Vela center is over, the manager has kept a decent amount of gear there after the the last couple of years to keep the season going so it's worth calling Vela to find out if he's doing that again this year. No rentals available anywhere closer. They're very good at forecasting there so see if you can get the hotel's (Playa del Sol) or Vela manager's phone number and call from Cabo before you drive up if he's still around.
www.velawindsurf.com
victor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Los Barriles is only an hour from Cabo"

get much air on the topes?
antonius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
"Los Barriles is only an hour from Cabo"

get much air on the topes?

Allright, maybe that is a bit optimistic. We were really moving when I did that drive. Still, even at a slower pace it's not too much more. Google maps puts drive time at 1:37.

www.velawindsurf.com
esteban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you drive up the west coast via Todos Santos its only about 2 hrs from Cabo San Lucas to La Ventana, Ventana Windsports still open till may and we often get incredible spring thermal winds that Los Barriles doesn't. It can blow well into May on some years, just depends on the season, its worth a check on the sensor- Nice RRD, Fantatic, Northwave and Maui sails gear too!

www.ventanawindsports.com
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone would have known of someplace in cabo itself Laughing I dont think we will have a car while we are there so Im basically stuck with whats in walking/bus distance. Ive heard that there are some rentals from the beach resorts... I dont really care how old the gear is or how great the wind is, its been raining for 4 months straight and I just want to get out on some warm water in the sun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: