myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Magazine -- RIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its downright silly that the sad demise of Windsurfing magazine has been linked to Formula windsurfing discussion.

Josh did a great job. He has demonstrated sincere dedication, creative activism and impressive competence holding down an under appreciated job at a tough time. We will miss the mag and I hope we don't have to do without Josh.

Formula is not for everyone. I race in the series Kelly mentioned and I am probably the formula guy isobars mentioned. My van is loaded pretty much at all times with Formula, wave and slalom gear (sorry, no freestyle board). As a pro windsurfer said to me this winter about kiters in our combined races, "Its all good!" The reason isobars doesn't see me on formula more often is that there are only so many days and most of my days are on formula when isobars is in a different part of the country.

Formula can be great just about anywhere. I've sailed formula in mountain lakes, rivers, bays and in the open ocean, even going out through good waves when the wind was too light for wavesailing. Formula isn't that hard to learn, its just different. It doesn't require that much strength, proven by a 14 yr old girl beating me in races. It does require a desire to go fast. OK, the equipment is different but I've seen a winning racer sail a whole season with just one sail for a wide range of conditions. My time on formula gear has decreased mostly because the opportunities for finding another formula sailor out there have decreased.

Sadly, decreased participation is not limited to Formula windsurfing and is clearly the reason for the end of the Mag. I was pleased to see how much coverage Formula windsurfing got and there's no way more coverage would have saved the magazine.

Thanks again, Josh, for a job well done in a difficult situation.

PS - is there any chance for a future for you with www.waterhound.com?
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided I'm no longer feeding the troll, but thanks for the props, fellas!

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
glenherman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved windsurfing magazine. I have been a subscriber for many years. I would read it cover to cover the same day it arrived. A great magazine, thanks for your hard work Josh.
The fact that it is out of business is just another example of the fact that windsurfing is going extinct. Here at the Boynton Inlet we get world class wavesailing conditions. 6.3 sails, 99 liter boards and 5 to 6 foot waves are the usual, with plenty of 5.2 days with 8 foot surf. There is never more than 6 windsurfers here. All the same people. Atlantic Avenue in Delray always has 20 or 30 kiters out. So does Pompano. Whenever I sail those spots I am the only windsurfer. Yesterday was 4.5 with 10 foot waves. it was such rough shorebreak that I drove to Miami and windsurfed Virginia Key. There were the usual 6 people at Boynton and another 25 in the ocean at Miami, with another 20 sailing in Biscayne bay. There were at least 100 kites at Crandon alone. Every windsurfer I saw was over 40 years old. Our local shop, Liquid, in Fort Lauderdale still has a small windsurfing section but they devote way more space to sup and kites.
What we need is an infusion of young people into the sport. I don't see how it will happen with kiting being cheaper and easier to learn
I guess I will resign myself to being "the last of the Mohicans"
What we need is an infusion of young people into the sport.
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: the last of the Mohicans? Video Reply with quote

Glen said: "The fact that it is out of business is just another example of the fact that windsurfing is going extinct. I guess I will resign myself to being "the last of the Mohicans"

Hi Glen,

I suspect the decline is just regional and more focused on places with lighter wind. For example the past 2 years La Ventana, Baja has had mostly light winds and 80-90% of the people on the water were kiters. This year, during the 3 months I was there, we had the more typical stronger winds and at the campground there were days when 40% of the people 100 or so people on the water were windsurfers. And on the occasional 3.7-4.2 days the majority of people outside were on windsurfing gear as some kiters hauled out their old windsurfing gear.

In the Gorge each summer day sees dozens of kids and young adults taking lessons at The Hook.

The video below shows that windsurfing is not nearing extinction but sometimes too crowded.

http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5825871#imageID=107559201

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
windalert.com
sailflow.com

[/b]

the last of the Mohicans.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.11 KB
 Viewed:  17748 Time(s)

the last of the Mohicans.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Windfind's Video Reply with quote

Great Video!!!

Thanks!
glenherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

That was a great video! They even showed a green windwing sail. I used to have all windwings, I have not seen one in a long time.
I was pleased to see so many people still windsurfing. Lots of younger ones, too.
It seems niche spots like the Gorge are still going strong. That is a good sign, I was worried they were going to stop manufacturing windsurfing gear.
You are in a unique position to gauge the health of the sport. What are the numbers like for iwindsurf versus ikitesurf? Are we declining or is there still hope for our future?

Glen
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just need to go to Maui to see hundreds of teens and early 20's windsurfing. We will have a resurgence someday, because kiting doesn't cover the very best days. Clearly kiting offers more sailing days, but when it's on, windsurfing can't be beat.

Just watch JP at jaws, and then watch kiting at jaws. Which would you rather be on in big surf. I personally think that video needs to get passed along to the youth. formula doesn't really interest the youth. My 15 year old son wants speed, waves, and jumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4znK_XdzUM
cmurtagh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been enjoying Windsurfing Magazine for thirty years and read every issue. Just signed up to Windsport and hope it's as good.
Boardtests

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Boards UK Reply with quote

Sadly it seams that Boards Magazine UK might go the same way. Down to two issues for 2012 due to economic problems. Great spring issue though. Hope they manage to hang on.
----------------------------
http://boardtests.com/slalom-boards/
spennie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty after-the-fact, but didn't anybody else feel ripped off? I paid Bonnier Publications for X issues of Wind Surfing magazine, and they just stopped short, with no refund! They sent me one issue of s surfing magazine I didn't want, but then just kept the rest of my subscription money. Bonnier Corp. didn't go under, just one of their mags, so where's my refund? Their own website says they have over $350,000,000. in annual revenues.

Probably Republicans, ripping off the little guy as usual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: