myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast extension stuck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Now it's time to go out and buy a new extension. After your experience, I bet that you're going to have the cleanest mast and extension around.
DmitriL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for detailed intructions: got alu 28 cm extension stuck in the mast (NP X6). After all mechanical tricks failed I tried muriatic acid : water (1:2) as prescribed, after two 12 h attempts still have plenty of aluminum left inside the mast. The liquid level was well above the extentsion end, when I put the mast in it gets hot and intensive fumes go through the top (I took the plug off), at least in the beginning. What's wrong and how to achieve what you guys did? Thanks!
mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 cm is a lot more aluminum than the 15 cm that was stuck using the previous procedure so it will take longer. Just be patient you don't want to generate too much heat. Based on the amount of heat you are describing I would only fill the container about 10 cm deep and dissolve the bottom first. Once the bottom is dissolved then fill the container higher to immerse more of the section.
DmitriL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Mast is finally free! It took 3x12 h, narrow container was more efficient than a big one, a mast may got real hot in the bottom during the first 20-30 min so I put a narrow container with the mast into a busket with cold water to cool and to collect incidental spils. Fumes are really nasty, so a secured mast with all plugs removed, and a hand and eye protection are important during this procedure.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To separate a MAST, this week, I used the car method, it broke tie down straps and still would not come apart. I then used rope, and 4 wraps, the hardest part is getting the rope secure , so it doesn't slip down the mast, I took a beer cousey cut in half , inside out and wrapped multi layers of rope,
it did come apart , tied to a van and house.

a spotter is useful, and stand back

YMMV

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rich1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may be obvious, but following a scary incident last fall when I didn't realize my mast was not fully together and actually sailed it for a half hour that way, someone suggested this...

Assemble the mast, and then put a wrap of duct tape around the joint. It ensures you don't accidentally assemble the mast part way, like I did, and it keeps out the crap that can make it hard to disassemble.

I've been doing this now for many sessions, and have never had a hard time getting the mast apart.

In my case, I just unwrap it at time of disassembly and rewrap it around the bottom section just below the joint. One piece of tape lasts many sessions this way before you need a new one.

As always, YMMV

Chris
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use black electrical tape. Narrower, cheaper and easy to remove. Also lasts many sessions. Color coordinated too.

KMF
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rub bar soap on the ferrule, then wrap the joint with electrical tape after assembling the mast. Since doing this, I have never had a stuck mast.

There are advantages to not being color coordinated. I prefer orange electrical tape to black, because it is easier to locate when it's time to disassemble, especially when it's getting dark.

On Bonaire last year, several people were working for over an hour trying to separate an amazingly light (and no doubt correspondingly expensive) Neil Pryde mast that belonged to a guy whose flight was to depart the next morning. At one point we had four booms clamped on, and were still only able to open it up by 4mm or so. The mast's owner eventual called an end to the group effort, and I have no idea if he was able to get the mast apart by the next day.
tweeky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
I use black electrical tape. Narrower, cheaper and easy to remove. Also lasts many sessions. Color coordinated too.

KMF

Ditto... duct tape leaves a sticky residue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: