myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
look for advice on Shacks, Puerto Rico
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmitriL

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: look for advice on Shacks, Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Hello! I plan a trip to Puerto Rico and was impressed with what I read about the Shacks place (I go with my family and the place seems to be great overall). I am/was a flat water windsurfer with some racing past (actually never sailed in the waves > 5') but would like to learn to wavesail or just to ride my 106 L X-Cross JP. Is this possible at Shacks without breaking my gear in the first day? When is the good time to go for optimal conditions? Any tricks I should know about this place? And honestly speaking, do I have a chance there or it is only wave-pro place? Thanks!
dllee

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend entirely how good you actually windsurf, how good your judgement is, and how well you can read waves, plus how athletic you are in rough conditions. Board is big, but OK if you stay out of the impact zone.
Non surfsailors always say a spot is for "pros" only, but if you can windsurf, expert level, there should be no problems.
upwind

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sail Shacks on a smaller day no problem. Just keep track of the shallow spots, use a small fin and ask a local where to launch, and how the channels work and where/how kick out. Lastly, keep track of the forecast and local factors like rain clouds and make shure the wind isn't going to shift offshore on you.

http://www.windsurfingpr.com/
DmitriL

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zirtaeb and Upwind, I am almost 200 lb by now, thats why I thought of 106L, I also have JP 83 L real world wave, but I almost stopped to sail it in our local conditions (around Houston, TX). You are absolutely right about being athletic in a rough conditions, just add both physically and mentally:), will be working on it in the meantime! Can you suggest some time window, I was thinking about March-April.? I checked formal wind statistics and it absolutely does not match those exciting pictures, in fact our local winds look even better online. Upwind, did you mention small fin to match the sail size and the board control, or else?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March/April is usually the windiest in PR, and often has the biggest surf.
I found some big swell in Dec./Jan, about 8' in SanJuan, but couldn't find gear to rent or buy.
Surf sailing, you seldom get overpowered by wind. But often get overpowered when caught in the impact zone.
You should try surfing a few days if possible. Even a 3' wave, about waist high, can take your board away from you, espeically if it's connected to a rig.
5' is head high, and only the most experienced sailors can punch out thru the whitewater that size whether planing or not. Bigger you will get thrashed.
In Maui, you can ride 85 liter wave boards. In PR, I'd suggest 100.
upwind

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mention a small fin simply because one that is too big is unnecessary and a small fin will clear the shallow spots inside at Shacks best. The biggest fin I use wavesailing in PR is a 25cm. One could opt for a 27 but unless there is a substantial amount of onshore or bunp and jump conditions it's usually too big feeling. Being a heavier guy it may not be a problem however a loose board in the waves is much more fun. The biggest sail I use is a 5.7. Bigger guys are beginning to use longboards and 6.5's to overcome the marginal conditions.

Talk to the local guys. They can provide valuable info. about the many launches. (that is, as long as you are cool and show gratitude and mutual respect). Failure to comply and you will be left wondering if anyone even windsurfs on the island and where to go to get gear etc....
DmitriL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Upwind and Zirtaeb, thanks for your input! Now I know that this is doable and will use local Gulf beach to do some homework as well, you suggested a lot to work on.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're heading for one of the advanced surfsailing spots, so you need to do some homework.
If you were going to Jericoacoa, or PuntaSanCarlos, or Tourmaline, you'd be fine as is.
Once a sailors learns to windsurf, he/she needs to learn more to start wavesailing. That's double the learning curve, and time.
For PR's easier surfsailing spots, head towards SanJuan, right in town.
DmitriL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Juan may be easier to windsurf for me, agree, but not as good for my family (I go with my wife and 3 year old son), need a great place for them first (not a noisy city!). Shacks resulted from internet search as no1. many years ago I went to Cabarete , DR and sailed there, including a reef. By then I was in better shape and did not work 80h/week...where Jericoacoa, or PuntaSanCarlos, or Tourmaline are located? After all, there should be a challenge!
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northeast Brazil, Central WestCoast Baja, and SanDiego County.
If you want challenge, I'd suggest an Oahu early spring vacation to Backyards/Revelations/Moks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: