myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducdive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday Crissy 4.4. Tuesday Ocean Beach 4.4. Yesterday Ocean Beach 5.0. Not a bad start to the summer.
squirleyd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Weds. 3rd. 6:40~7:50pm, 4.7/84 Reply with quote

Largest swells of (my) young season. Wide and smooth areas post swells are the best for my ginger knees, gimmie more please.

Some large voodoo, straight at ya port ramps on both near and far channel berms, kind of a little different.

Suckered into thinking I was high enough due to outside ebb and WWNW direction coming back in. Stay high, you'll be shlogging in too on any W. Muck walking to mid-thigh depth. yuck.

SqD
veterduet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Benecia - 12th Street launch Reply with quote

Hardly any swell at all. Nice and flat in the channel, hard to read the wind, but it was there all PM. Easy on the knees!
xander.arch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about sailing ocean beach today after work. Probably about 4pm. Anybody headed out that way?

I've never sailed OB and really don't want to be alone.

thx
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've logged over 40 days solo at OceanBeach. No big deal, nobody can help you out anyways.
Remember, on NW winds, it's side ON shore. So you take off at VFW's, the ramp, head directly SOUTH, not out. You can take your time getting out, going down to Noriega St. before turning around and heading back, all on the INSIDE of the outer waves.
If you so choose to sail outside the waves, be aware it's all lumpy, backwashed, ghost big waves, and really tough sailing.
Sailing inside the whitewater is a dream experience, flat water fin hissing, occasional hops over the whitewater, and you can easily sail from Noriega back to VFW's on the inside on one reach.
Use a bump board with a pointer fin.
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Washoe Reply with quote

Perfectly good day today at Washoe. Quite a lot better than yesterday. 5.5's and 6.0, floaty board, hang on for dear life in the the big sustained gusts especially on the other side of the lake (35?).
About 10 windsurfers, less kiters=gusty.
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Tomales Friday the 8th of June Reply with quote

Friday, I got out to Tomales by 4: 30 and no one was there {big surprise}. I was packing my stuff up to rig and a guy from Oakland showed up and had never sailed there so I gave him the low down and we went out. The wind was solid 3.2 to 4.0 with nice swell. I went out on my new 3.6 Fly II and was way overpower most of the time, kind of survival sailing. The other guy lasted an hour derigged and left quiche. I sailed another hour and wind backed off a bit and the swells were bigger than I have ever seen there, right at the beginning of the ebb. Still clumps of weed and streamers 4" wide all over but when your that over powered and waves breaking all over the place you can bunny hop or blast thru and they come off because of all the speed. I could have been on a 3.2, the wind was shearing off the tops of the waves on both sides of the bay so it was solid all the way across.
Hoping for more today! Unfortunately I forgot to bring the camera, so I'll post one from the last trip.

grassy may 17th 2012 015.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  403.09 KB
 Viewed:  15725 Time(s)

grassy may 17th 2012 015.JPG

dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Tuesday R $ G, not bad 5.8 race sail stuff with slalom board, but boy, that chop is close together ready to grab the rail at the slightest inkling of heel pressure, both directions. First time on slalom gear there, and sticky rail catapults a real possibility. Track was normal, boom height normal, lots of downhaul, normal outhaul. Is it possible to exceed the speed the chop allows?

There seems to be a speed wall on around 34-36 knots, and there is a short discussion on the Hot Sails Maui Forum about it (scroll mid way at http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2708 ).

A big component is the chop that forms no matter what in most locations. I (possibly) hit a max speed of 38 knots when I was still carrying a GPS at Candlestick, but it was in very unusual conditions with almost mirror flat water. Otherwise, even with the small chop you can find at the Stick I am at 32-34 knots, with 5.5 to 6.6 sails.

So, no, I don't think you cannot really beat the chop for any sustained period of time: sooner or later it stops you.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that...
The fast guys don't sail their fast gear at R&G anymore. One went to kiting, the other is recovering from injury, so it's default...no fast guys there anymore.
I was riding my '07JPProSlalom 84 pretty wound with a Warp5.8, Tectonics 34 GoldWing. Probably could have used my 30, but that one goes sideways until I reach about 24mph.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Tomales with 2BlueHawaiians Saturday. Weeds were a bit of a pain at times but we found a nice relatively weedless area across the bay and upwind. Wind was NW so it was stronger over there too. After a while my boom head came open so I sailed to the beach to fix it. There were tents there and a small group of party-type kayakers. They had a keg of beer too, so we chilled on the far side of the bay with them. Looked like they were having a good time. (Beer definitely affected my sailing.) When I got back to the launch I found a plastic bag deposited where I left my gear. Inside were 4 oysters and some ice, left by the nice couple that were shucking as we were launching.

I'm afraid for me the Tomales season is about over, the weeds were just too much. However if it ebbs and nukes on the same day, I'll go back, searching for a sweet spot to hang in.

Steve
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 359 of 427

Jump to: