myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting at the Hatchery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

columbia wrote:
Salty - I don't get it. When you say it's "nothing like Maui" what do you mean? The Gorge windsurfing speed at the Hatch is faster in a more confined space (the point and cover). It will take a serious accident for this to sink in - as others have previously posted. Sad but true.

I have nothing against kiters many of my friends kite and kite well - they don't head to the Hatch to kite on the big days because they understand the dangers and have indicated that mixing it up at the point and cove is a recipe for disaster.

Do I really need to explain the difference between the Gorge and Maui?? Rolling Eyes
Lots of people try and compare the two places when it comes to turf wars, rules of the road etc. Quite frankly I don't think we had turf wars here until people started going to Maui and bringing back the attitude that can form from being over there. Hookipa can get just as crowded as the Hatch on a busy day. It can be even more confined over there because you have waves to deal with that can push you into rocks, people, reefs, etc. It may be a big ocean but it's a small area the wave breaks in. It's much more difficult to navigate then the Hatch on the busiest day of the year. The Hatch is a kiddie pool in comparison. Sailors at Hookipa go just as fast as sailors at the hatch too. The only comparison is that they are both good places to sail...
Serious accidents can happen anywhere, anytime, doing anything. It sucks when they happen no doubt. To play it safe, stay home or sail out of the crowd, it's real easy to do.
Godsey nailed it I think in his post. Idea
trudyl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfer & Kiter bonding on the Oregon coast in Florence Oregon.

kiter&windsurfer sharing the love.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.03 KB
 Viewed:  16665 Time(s)

kiter&windsurfer sharing the love.jpg

columbia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trudy - loved the photo - great shot! As your photo so aptly indicates - kiters and windsurfers can coexist. But, to bring it back home - lets throw together 30 more sailors and 20 more kiters all trying to catch that exact same wave and see how that works out... bit of an exaggeration but maybe not in the near future at the Hatch.

Just wanted to respond to Salty. I'm not talking broadly about the Gorge as your post seems to indicate. My comments relate to the Hatch. Banning kiting in the Gorge is not what is being discussed -- how to prevent serious injury and prevent kiter/windsurfer incidents at the Hatch is the focus and hopefully a concern for all.

There can be no doubt that kiter/windsurfer congestion at the Hatch on the "big" days is going to increase not decline. We can all bury our heads in the sand and turn a blind eye but the comments and incidents related here and by others don't bode well for the future Hatch melee.

Stayed tuned for the next edisode of "As the Hatch Churns" when the wind returns to the corridor! Smile
trudyl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Trudy - loved the photo - great shot! As your photo so aptly indicates - kiters and windsurfers can coexist."

Thanks, seems we have little or no problem at Florence or Rooster Rock in winter, I guess less crowds makes you happy to see anyone out, even people just watching. The really extreme the conditions (ie the Oregon coast or the winter at Rooster with 65 mph winds) the more windsurfer and kiters actually get along. It's us versus nature instead of us versus them.

However given the facts a lot of time nature wins.
puppydog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't call them waves
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Columbia, I am talking about the hatch. I mention it 4 times in the last post. And for sure I'm not talking about banning kiting at all anywhere.
I like kites and kiters and like doing it myself.
I also don't think anyone is putting their head in the sand re accidents. They can happen for sure and it has happened more with windsurfers than kiters at the hatch.
Just be careful. We have a big river and all it takes to get out of the most crowded spot on any given day is to sail up or down wind.
The pot boiled over and we are well on our way to peaceful coexistence with all the river users. I bet Ponytail won't do it again. If he does, I think a few windsurfers will have a nice talk with him.
If anyone should be banned from the hatch it's the dicks that cause others trouble whether is be a windsurfer, kiter, or drunk guy acting like an idiot.
Ban the Dicks!!
Overall here and on the kiting forum there are way more good people that get along than not. Just took one or two bad apples to start this landslide. Peek of the summer is over. Lots of room out there now.
See you on the water. Very Happy
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog wrote:
don't call them waves

Ha! Ha! This is funny to me too but I will say as long as you know they are talking about the gorge, call them what you want. But it does make me laugh..... Laughing
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Trudy, great shot!! It appears that the kiter is some sort of medic. That would make me feel a little better if I were that windsurfer! Laughing
puppydog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pic!
jamesschmitt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Godsey is right all this noise on the forum will have no affect; what will have an affect are complaints to the authorities by other beach/ river users. This has closed countless beaches to kiting in east coast states and more recently Calif. I would not waste my time talking to someone about their unsafe behavior; they won't change. Complaints to Fish/wildlife parks dept officials will cause change.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: