myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veterduet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Isabel/Marina Bay Reply with quote

Went to Berkeley Friday after 4 straight good sailing days at Marina Bay. Came to the conclusion that I'd rather be O.P.'d at Isabel than P.O.'d at Berkeley! The sensors must be switched.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about the Delta today but its too frickin far so I decided to go to Oyster at 1 pm. Godsey was right about wind at Tigers. I planed immediately on a 5.0 and shot past the birdcage to the southern tip of the airport, gybed and headed past Sierra Point where the wind sorta petered out ( I wanted to make it to the Stick). Went back to play at Tigers and wondered why more people don't sail here Confused
ronm41

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washoe Lake, yesterday truly amazing, not for the quality of wind which was decent(18-25) but just the amount of people windsurfing and kiting. Counted 15 windsurfers and almost thirty kiters out. Kinda reminds me of the old days when a good day here was dozens of windsurfers and lots of Hobies flailing all over the lake. Making a comeback? probably not for windsurfing as no new folks but plenty of hackers and newbies trying and failing at kiting. Laughing Laughing
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Sunday. Hours of powered up fun!
koogzah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Berkeley Sunday. Hours of powered up fun!

I could have sworn I launched at Berkeley, too. But the wind was way too solid. Lit on a flat 5.2 and 84l twin from Hs Lordships to the Toll Plaza and through the gap to Brooks and back again. That was just a dream, right?
tajella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NickB"]Hi Bob,

Alameda is now the only spot were I windsurf (I just pull my gear on a caddy through a couple of streets and a park to the beach), so I had to adapt my equipment.

Thanks, this is is super helpful info. Have been thinking about how to sail closer to home for some time. Appreciate the specifics. This is what I was seeking. Hope others find it useful as well.
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question for NickB- do you move the mast track while in the water? kind of sounds like it the way this reads. If so how? : "I leave the beach with the 78cm centerboard down and the mast track forward, I ride/foil it upwind on the rail looking for more wind outside. If I don't find it towards the aircraft carrier, I go look towards the Harbor Bay ferry channel and the Oakland airport. Worst case I'm having a nice and warm glide session, old-school summer vacation style. But I almost always get to a point where it's hard not to capsize with the centerboard down, and that's my cue to retract the centerboard, move the mast track back, and plane downwind. If the wind picks up too much and the 260L get iffy to handle strapless in the chop, I put the mast track forward for more control until I get to the flats by Crab Cove and I'm then rewarded by glassy long-board speed runs (a bit slower than those though)."
NickB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I move it in the water. being a race board, the Phantom 320 comes with an adjustable mast track. you push on the pedal and push or pull on your boom to move the base forward or back. it is a very important part of this board's trim. and it sucks when you step on the pedal by mistake Embarassed but I'm getting more careful...
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would've sailed at Cabrillo today but was careless and the board flew off my car while unloading. Got a 6inch crack on the board Sad

Board in the garage getting repairs done

Always becareful with a roof rack!
ronm41

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washoe Lake just amazing on Monday. After a horrible day on Sunday with strong gusty, shifty and just plane nasty wind. I didn't expect much yesterday. Call the windtalker at 1:30 and it was 9 to 22 and a 14 average and since our talker reads a little weak due to location compared to the lake. My expectations grew somewhat confident. So we made the 5 minute drive to the lake and saw kiters out on 7's and 9's. Lake was decent filled in but we waited a while and the wind was growing and filling in. I rigged a 6 and my Kode 103 with a 12" FS fin and my wife Lynn decided not to kite and rigged a 5.0 and Naish 78 Global Wave with a 9.5 TA wave fin. She went out first and was well powered and got way up wind in the smoother water and was just ripping. I went out and slogged a little out to the wind line and I went off on a reach to the other side of the lake powered to a little OP and riding small swell downwind. The other side of the lake, actually the South side was really windy maybe approaching 30 2' chop and steady and I was Oped but handling it and jibing in the lulls. I finally got smart and beat upwind to where Lynn and Now another friend Paul was and sailed the smooth semi flat water for 1 1/2 hours of high speed blasting. Finally we both broad reach back downwind two miles to the launch site at breakneck speed and both sat on the beach in 90 degree temps marveling on how good it was and my legs just shaking from the exercise. A very good day of lake sailing.........maybe repeat for the next few days
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 382 of 427

Jump to: