myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Starboard really all that bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow John, that is a freak'n huge board by my (Gorge) standards.
I've seen videos of you, and I would have guessed you're maybe
200 lbs. At 185, I'm typically on 80 ltrs with 70 a lot of the time.
My big Gorge board, with which I ride a 6.7 is about 100 ltrs.

Guess I need to get a ride on that Cross and see what I think.

-Craig

jingebritsen wrote:
ultimate gorge board for me is the exocet cross IV 104

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/cross4.php

VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
ultimate gorge board for me is the exocet cross IV 104

You usually have great inputs, but this takes the cake: the topic is about starboard, the brand, not shameless advertisement for the brand i sell.
the fact that you have to ride only one board brand makes you biased when talking about what board to ride.
To make matter worse you advertise a 104 liter as the perfect gorge board? isn't the gorge the place where everyone owns a 65l and 3.3 sail?
Please stay on topic and keep the free plug to a minimum.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz,

I guess maybe what I said came out a bit different than my intent. I have been buying Zajicek's Mike's Lab and Brian's Open Ocean boards since 1992, so I've got a pretty good understanding of what they've done over time, at least for me. As far as Brian's history making surfboards in Oahu and his extensive involvement with the Europeans designing sailboards in the 80s, I've spend some time talking with him about it, and recognize how influential he has been in both sports over time. Mike has also been extremely influential in the windsurfing industry, and now with racing kiteboards too. Not only does he make his own top flight boards, but he's also been a key designer for a number of JP boards in the past.

One thing that is really noteworthy about both guys is that they make their boards single-handedly from the design to the finished product. It's that fact that was the basis for my comment that they couldn't have supported the growth and development that has occurred in the industry. When you look at the industry over the years, the volumes and the ranges of product have been huge and very dependent on large scale manufacturing and teams of designers. I have to say that with Zajicek, there have been times where I have been on the waiting list for up to a year to get a board. Believe me, the long waits have always been worth it, but I seriously doubt that most folks are that willing to be that patient. That's where production boards have really been important to the growth and vitality of the sport, and I think we all recognize that Starboard has been a real leader at the front of the pack. It's hard to beat a situation where you can walk into a shop and buy a brand new board right off the rack, or order a board from across the country and have it in your hands in a week or two.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT with Starboard

I have heard of problems with such a simple thing as foot strap screw being changed then too long or too short to fit correctly

The first year quad, 2010 had FCS type boxes called Surfinz, think thats right and mini tuttlle, the surf fin type accepted FCS fins, but between being made under license or whatever never fitted the fins correctly, really bad choice on boxes. Changed the next year. They did PR propaganda that the Twin was was the best thing since sliced bread, and dropped it the next year. The original slot box screws had problems, stripping , too big, too small, operators not using the correct driver, too much pressure, not enough pressure

I have had 4,a Evo a Acid a Carve 111 and have yet a F175 . Acid was a wood deck and had to be refinished due to deterioration of the wood, major project due to the chemicals involved.

The A Box and Tuttle were the only boxes they used till the slot box came along, invented and put into production by Tabou, no copyright so anyone can make or use it. You would think that Starboard invented it listening to their videos.

Starboard is a major player with DEEP pockets.

They sell a lot of boards so the % of problems should be take into respect to the numbers they sell.

Since all boards coming out of the Cobra factory "could" be made by the same workers, the materials and construction methods are what really matter. aside from the worker has had a bad day and left out something vital for strength its still a crap shoot which board coming from there could be better.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vince SF, thanks for the love.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011 04:04 Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Four remarkably unremarkable boards in the last test for me were the Exocet Cross III 114, JP Ride 106, RRD Fire Move 110 and the Star-Board Carve 111. They had subtle rides that only became noticeably great when you could just stay lit up and comfortable as the wind came up. They were great with lotsa wind without the expense of early planing bottom configurations that sap pumping to plane. Also, the RRD FM 110 was 75 cm wide! So much for the "wide can be rough and hard to handle in chop" dogma I've heard people say over the years. Add this board to a long list over the years that defies that mantra.

I've been sailing the Cross 114, 69 cm wide, these past couple of dayz in some seriously lit up conditions for either a 6.8, yesterday, or the 5.8, today at Kelly Park where Calema has their shop. "Smooth as budda," is how one guy who demo'ed it said today. I just carved thru any choppy section I wanted with no reservations, jibing at will anywhere and everywhere.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=250&siteID=289&Isection=Last+7+Days

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"large" boards are all a state of mind. there are plenty of days in the ditch when going with 104 liters is appropriate. yes, lots of those days are when the 65 to 70 fans are somewhere else besides being on the water. i tend to sail with the same mind set as the racer heads when i'm there, but everyone has their own tastes.
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now that John has earned his paycheck, let's get back to Starboards, they can and do have quality control issues at the factory. Several months back I was given a nearly brand new Starboard 115 liter slalom board. The owner bought it, sailed it four or five times, noticed a problem with the bottom, and then got sidetracked for over a year working on his doctorate. The board warranty expired.

With his doctorate completed, he pulled out the board to go windsurfing, noticed the problem again, so he brought it to me to check out. Sure enough, the bottom had delammed. He left the board with me to do with as I saw fit because he took a job several states away. This past July, I decided to tear into it and see if I could fix the problem. The WHOLE BOTTOM delammed from 2" forward of the fin box all the way to the tip of the nose. There was a 1/2" airspace thru that length. I was able to remove the pvc foam bottom as one full sheet.

What I found underneath is startling. Under the D-ram bottom, the outermost surface of the styrofoam blank was powder dry. It was so dry that there was noticable "DUST" on it. It had dust the whole length of the bottom from the fin box to the nose. This is the surface that is supposed to be bonded with epoxy to the glass and D-ram sheet. The glass layer was bonded to the D-ram, but there wasn't enough resin to absorb the dust let alone bond to the styrofoam.

I've seen this a number of times to different degrees from different brands coming out of the Cobra factory, that's why I'm a fan of boards made in the US and Canada.
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have 7 starboards of 2005-2012 vintage and have not noted a single problem, except one set of foot strap inserts stripped out due to user error(not soaping the screws when reinserting). 62l evo-12'6" SUP, all solid as far as i can tell.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any board can have problems, any company.
Delams especially. Usually some foam bonded to the Airex, the foam tearing away leaving a jagged surface of the blank. Tight vents account for most delams.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't get a paycheck from the windsurfing business. i've seen cobra randomly screw stuff up for all brands from time to time. not a whole lot of consistency to these QC issues year over year, more like "watch out for serial numbers XXXX-XXX+9 for board Y." have seen dry layups on certain brands that have been as long as 25+ serial numbers.

cobra has been pretty good about warranty's, overall. sure wish they were faster about the whole process though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: