myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waterproof Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "watch" I've used for a couple of decades now is free, infallible, weightless, hassle-free, and foolproof, and will never fall off my wrist or mast. It's a natural sundial, you might say, with a built-in pre-alarm feature.

The pre-alarm warns me that the final alarm is 45 minutes to an hour away, so I'd better sail harder if I want to wring every last possible ounce of fun out of the day before the final alarm sounds. I very consciously sail harder when the pre-alarm goes off.

The final alarm means I'm out of excuses; I must now go ashore even if the wind is not only stronger but steadier than it was all day, the swell is cleaner and bigger, the crowds are gone, I'm sailing better than I did all day, and tomorrow never comes.

The pre-alarm is distinct; there's no missing it. It is sunset.

The final, real, getcherbuttashore alarm is less distinct, blurred by endorphins, optimism, energy and moonlight. It is that debatable point when it's flat too dark to see the swell any longer. Even then, if the swell is small, seeing it is a luxury we can forgo if there are navigation lights on both shores and no obstacles between them. But if the swell is bigger than about waist-high, it can bite ... hard ... if it sneaks up on us, so it's time to quit if it is invisible.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsurfn1426 wrote:
I used to use a Nike Watch (Oregon series), but after two, I gave up.

As Isobars stated, for me as well, the issue is the band and not the waterproofness of the watch.

Nike uses an unique integrated band, and it can only be replaced by an authorized service center (not worth the expense). So, once the band goes, so goes the watch.

Currently, I am using a Rip Curl stainless analog watch I got on sale at Zappos. I am very happy with it. Pretty tough so far and it looks good.

I bought a few EK USA watchbands and they extend pretty far around the wrist so they never come off even overtop of a wetsuit. Regular bands don't fit me too well as my wrists are large (from windsurfing).
Recommend cheap watch (Timex Expedition) and cheap bands (EK USA).
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but my experience with Timex is more inexpensive good quality than cheap. I have used one for more than 10 years, now with a velcro strap. The strap is nice since it is adjustable enough to go over or under the wetsuit. The other nice thing about it is is the fact that the strap is continuous around your wrist. The watch sits on top of it, attached by the pins. The pins don't see much stress that way, and even if one fails, you are not loosing the watch.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
I agree, but my experience with Timex is more inexpensive good quality than cheap. I have used one for more than 10 years, now with a velcro strap. The strap is nice since it is adjustable enough to go over or under the wetsuit. The other nice thing about it is is the fact that the strap is continuous around your wrist. The watch sits on top of it, attached by the pins. The pins don't see much stress that way, and even if one fails, you are not loosing the watch.
\

Good point, when I said cheap I meant:
Adjective (of an item for sale) Low in price; worth more than its cost.
Purchasable below the going price or the real value

I paid $20 for the Timex Ironman 15-20 years ago. The EK USA Velcro band was I think $6. The newerish Timex Expedition was $26.

So yes cheap and inexpensive.
GLTA
justall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

The pre-alarm is distinct; there's no missing it. It is sunset.

I enjoyed that imagery.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here, we get to enjoy it with each reach at that time of day, as we reach N and S in and out of the horizon's shadow.
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Getting condensation out of your waterproof watch Reply with quote

Not sure if this goes off the topic but here are a couple of tips I found for getting condensation out of your watch and keeping it out. I paid $15 to the local watch shop to fix this and they didn't get it right! I got condensation back in my watch within a couple of weeks.

Get yourself the right tool to open and close your watch. All my watches have a screw type case which are easy to open and close securely with a watch case wrench. Watches with screw type cases have 6 notches on the back where the wrench grabs to turn the back. Watch wrenches are cheap to buy online.

If you have a watch that doesn't have the notches on the back cover and is simply pull off and push on then you need something to pry the case open and you should use a watch case press (carefully) to put the case back on securely.

Any time you open your watch, you need to dry it completely before closing it again.

I have dried my watch by holding it over a good old fashioned Thomas Edison style incandescent light bulb. Any gentle heat source will do.

You can also get desiccant very cheap from your local crafts store. Don't bother buying those little desiccant packets they are way overpriced. Get a jar of desiccant crystals for less than $10 at the craft store where it is sold as flower drying crystals. You can put your watch (or other wet electronics) in a zip lock bag with some of these crystals and let it sit for a while. Of course be careful not to get the crystals inside of your toys. I wrap my stuff with a paper towel before putting it in the zip lock bag.

Before closing back the watch make sure that you grease the rubber sealing gasket. While you're doing this, inspect the gasket to make sure that it isn't damaged. This step is really important if you want your watch to stay waterproof and avoid condensation from getting back inside.

You don't need to buy fancy watch grease, just go to your local auto shop and get a little packet of what's called bulb grease. It will either be free or cost you a dollar. That stuff is cheap and is designed to keep water out.

I have successfully changed my own waterproof watch batteries like this and I have not had any leak issues.

Just a little something for you DIY folks out there.

Alak.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Alakghosh, but with many cheapish water resistant watches the winder seal (time-date-day pullout adjuster) is the weakest point, as seem to be the press buttons on Garmins.

A kayaking friend once glass encased a long life battery watch onto the front deck of his expedition kayak - but it didn't last. As with all tecnological gadgets, he couldn't take his eyes off it. That proved to be an irritant which ruined his peace of mind and empathy with the elements!
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Predator or Shark Predator from Freestyle. Selection online vs at stores seems to be different. I ordered one online and didn't like it: weird negative display. The one that I like came from a Sports Authority store. It has a Velcro band and stays on well enough over a wetsuit.

For whatever reason it seems to be easier to find the nylon/Velcro band in a Sports Authority store than online.

I had another one of these that I liked on shore because it was smaller, but the band was too small to fit securely over the wetsuit. It's somewhere on the bottom of SF Bay now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: