myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Can't rig North Natural 6.6 and other questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
I was left with half a sail as the upper half was totally loose ...

I see scores of sails rigged like that every windy day. I don't know about yours, but many sails and/or many expert sailors prefer that mode.

I'm not implying your mast and sail aren't incompatible, and I have found truly evil combinations many years ago, but I'm sure you know that ideal rigging, if possible, would be a cheaper solution than replacing one or the other. May we assume you've asked some experts to rig and evaluate your combination?
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used the recommended luff specs for the sail and downhauled to the max and the sail tune was decent despite slack/bagginess in front of the mast, the sail rotated very poorly as the front of the battens extended past the mast. This summer I thought, "well obviously I need more downhaul" so I extended the mast base well beyond the recommended luff measurement and down hauled until the mast curve matched the luff sleeve curve and was reasonably taut (consistent with what I usually do with my other sails) - unfortunately I was left with half a sail as the upper half was totally loose - I tried to sail it this way and it was terrible - I let out some downhaul and the front of the luff sleeve bagged out again

No kidding! You are describing exactly the same symptoms like in my mast. Now the question is which sails this masts can possibly fit, if any?!
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso - good suggestion of course but I sail mostly on a lake in northern MN and for better or worse I am the local expert (which as you may have guessed isn't saying much). There are knowledgeable people in the twin cities but obviously I have to wait for our season in the spring. The 6.6 has tuning guides on the sail - the upper part of the sail has marks for low / med / high wind, if I tune for high wind the front of the luff sleeve is still bagged out, if I fill the sleeve with the mast using what seems like adequate downhaul the looseness in the upper sail extends well inward of the high wind mark - so according to the built in tuning system for the sail from North something is wrong, conversely my Natural 8.1 which is the exact same sail is perfectly fine when I tune using the marks. So there is a problem with the mast, a problem with the sail, or a problem with the combination - for the purposes of this post I am assuming the tuning is not the issue.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider,

You know what I would do if I were you, I would borrow a number of masts from some of your local sailors and rig up your 6.6. Given the fact that your season is over until Spring, it's not like you would impact their sailing or potentially damage anything. Of course, you wouldn't be able to sail the setup, but you'd be able see if the setup is in the ballpark. As I noted earlier, I did that with the No Limitz Sumo top. I could tell right away that it made things much better. If the sail doesn't setup any better using other masts, you'd have a pretty good indicator that the sail has a problem.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Good suggestion.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it is maybe a bit easier if you bring the sail into The House. If they are reasonably close to where you live, you could bring the sail in to test it with different masts that they might be carrying now. If things still aren't right, you may be able to leverage some kind of future consideration overall. That way you also wouldn't have to be involved in scheduling everything with other folks.

Still though, both approaches are viable. In the long run, it gives you the choice of what's most convenient and useful for you.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler

Unifiber have been in the UK for about 2years, they are Euro for sure, thinking Netherlands , not sure.

Have no clue where they are made. The chart has several sails THAT I have never heard of.

The chart is a useful attempt to mast selection.

They show this Florida Co as US agents::

http://www.liquidsurfandsail.com/index.cfm?page=catalog&catID=480

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
swchandler

Unifiber have been in the UK for about 2years, they are Euro for sure, thinking Netherlands , not sure.

Have no clue where they are made. The chart has several sails THAT I have never heard of.

The chart is a useful attempt to mast selection.

They show this Florida Co as US agents::

http://www.liquidsurfandsail.com/index.cfm?page=catalog&catID=480

from the UK came this reply::
Unifiber masts are made in Italy, they looked at moving to Asia to lower costs but found the sample masts provided were not up to the quality or specifications required.

still don't know where Unifiber is based, if it matters

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2, thanks for the update.
windyjones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 6.6 north natural and never liked it much, as for if I or you rigged it right, I dunno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: