myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Can your board do this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again ... the plastic Tiga B&J board consistently outran the much stiffer race and slalom boards in that year's (roughly 1990) WSMag tests, prompting the mag to stop rating stiffness because, within reason, it's not inherently important.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shipped Tigas around when we sailed the world without boxes. We just checked in the bare board.
Zero problems, and since they were wave boards the speed thing was no problem. One arrived in France with a melted plastic place on the deck.
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they ran out of storage space in the plane's hold, and just duct-taped it to an engine?
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys posting about the Polyethylene Tigas?
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy: Tupperware, yup!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My polyethylene HiFly (chosen by my own head-to-head comparison between it and the venerable PE Wave 257) had a slick deck. Virtually no glue sticks to PE, so my fairly successful solution was an electric engraver. The board was heavy, but its handling offset that pretty well.
inarchetype

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re. repairing polyethylene, Windsurfer International repair kits for the one design used West Sytem (haven't tried it- thankfully haven't had to repair my WOD yet). I do know from experience with my old 80's Vinta though, which finally did develop cracks around the daggerboard casing, that virtually nothing else I've tried stays on that plastic.

But yeah, the flex in the WOD is alarming when you're used to riding epoxy (the Vinta was stiffer because of the depth of the V- and it truly was an indestructible tank. I'm pretty sure I could drive over it.)
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have done quite a bit of sailing on a Hi-Fly Curtis PolyE and a Bic Calypso made of the same material. On top of that my first board, a beginner, back in 1990 was a huge polyE board with a square tail. It was incredibly stable and tackable. All these are indestructable of course, and I still own the Curtis and Bic although I don't sail with them. The Curtis I leave in the Condo garage in Florida with a board lock and chain. I don't worry about damage or theft, but do clean it up from time to time. At one point I owned a Tiga, a Swift I believe it was. It was a great intermediate board. I didn't have any trouble selling it at a CanAm swap. Once the decks were worn smooth, I really couldn't find anything that would cover them for more than a few sessions. However, I came to the conclusion that surfer's wax would do the trick.

Last edited by speedysailor on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:

I wonder if that would be a good avenue to explore, making slightly flexible boards?

A couple of times when I sailed a sailable SUP in SF Bay chop, the reverberations in the board were giving me a sort of foot massage, but not in an especially good way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: