myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 bolt quick release vs single twisty type base.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: 2 bolt quick release vs single twisty type base. Reply with quote

THere are already thread on Us cup vs euro pin.

But why do some people use the two bolt system. I know it would be stonger (2 bolts instead of 1). But is that the only reason? I have been using the twisty base since the dawn of time.

the thing i don't like about the 2 bolt is it is fixed...not easily moved around on the track, compared to the twisty. Or am I wrong?

I know it is easier to remove....but so is my twisty.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don’t move the mast base around in the track. We just put the base part of the two bolt system where we want it on the track and leave it there. If you really want to move it around, it’s super easy, since with the Chinook system, the allen wrench for each of the two bolts is in the bottom of the universal. In fact, it is the bottom of the universal, and it's actually quicker and easier to move the track than with a single bolt. I have one base for each of my boards, so I just plug in and go every time. It’s VASTLY superior to any other base systems. Chinook makes great products; worth every penny.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength wise, I have never heard of a single bolt base failing (I am sure some have). I take my bases off and use them on different boards with different sails, so they get moved around a bit. So, I use the single bolt (universal/base as a single unit). Both work well, decide on convenience and not strength.

If you do want to move your base while in/on the water, the double bolt is a no go, or difficult at best since you have to remove the sail/universal from the base to use it as a too. On the single bolt, just twist the circular base to loosen or tighten without detaching it from the sail (not easy, but easier than the two bolt).

Single bolts probably come lose more often and slide in the track compared to the two bolt.

Decision time.........
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 25 years of the single bolt I went with the 2 bolt the last season and love it. As Rigitrite said once I find the sweet spot for the base I leave it there. Really quick and super easy to connect/disconnect. I've had my base separate after a big jump in gnarly conditions with the single bolt. At impact I was left with the rig in my hands and my board floating away. Not fun. Especially when you're on the other side of the river.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going from memory but didn't SKYKING fly a twin bonaza ?

the ONLY reason I have, and do use the single bolt,and in particular one board which has a short mast track, the 2 bolt Chinook doesnt fit.

I also have used it on a board that wanted more forward placement than a 2 bolt afforded.

I have had problems with single bolt bases , coming loose.In conversations with the companies involved this is a rare occurrence, in one case the internals during construction were mis threaded, the other was said to be worn out, both replaced without charge BTW. I have several singles and cant explain why some have been troublesome and others not, nor could the reps, most reasonable explanation was the wah wah pads when flipping the sails caused the base to unwind

IF this occurs on the water the base may still remain in the track, but you will notice it sliding for/aft and is difficult to do anything but sail straight along, turns/ waterstarts will suck. If it becomes un attached, you need more than one person to assist to replace. In very extremely unlikely event a 2 bolt comes loose, it would slide, but NOT come out that I have heard of.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some boards have really small tracks. that makes using a double bolt quite limiting for adjustments. single bolts do twist off quite easily, one does have to be more careful about making it secure. the price of limiting my adjustments and the inconvenience of adjusting on the water for doubles, make me prefer single bolts.

personal preference.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I strongly prefer simplicity, reliability, and compatibility, I stick a Chinook two-bolt base on every board and fuhgheddaboutit. It's been a hands-down winner for me in every regard.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ What he said. Exactly.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common single bolt failure I have seen is it unwinding itself in freestyle if you are doing a lot of sail 360s or ankle biters. The whole rig just twists right off. Also with the single bolt, if you do not wear booties than a volcano pad is mandatory to save your toes from the little tightening wings.

In the end I use both. Singles with my race boards where I have to do lots of adjusting and doubles with my wave & freeride gear where I’m using the same sails in the same wind with the same boards. Like Iso’s said, it is a no-brainer.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do have both, I use the single bolt style most often. The big downside to the two bolt design is that they cost more. Not a big issue if you have one or two boards, but if you have many boards the cost escalates. I have 7 boards in my van, and if all of them were set up with the two bolt style it would cost at least $175, plus tax. If you were to share a two bolt base between many boards, the time to install and remove it would be time consuming and problematic.

Regarding the single bolt design, if they are equipped with a brass fastening component, they can fail on the water. I had that happen one time at Jalama. The wave immediately sunk the sail and I had a hard time finding it in the lineup. However, once I did and got it to the beach, there was still remnants of the brass still attached to the thread on the universal. The brass fastener was missing from my board when I retrieved it on the beach. After that event, I will never use a brass fastener, and instead depend on the trusty stainless steel threaded tabs. Although fins aren't the part of the discussion here, I also steer clear of any fin tabs that are not made of stainless steel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: