myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Predictions for 2013?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first prediction already came true, BHO got the keys to the Thelma & Louise mobile. Here we go, yeeeee-haaaaaa!!!!!

The only question left, how many mattresses can they find w/in the next few days, or, are there even any left?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
My first prediction already came true, BHO got the keys to the Thelma & Louise mobile. Here we go, yeeeee-haaaaaa!!!!!

The only question left, how many mattresses can they find w/in the next few days, or, are there even any left?

Uh, I didn't realize the White House abandoned negotiations only to propose but fail to pass in its own party an alternative to which we might refer as "Pan B." Did the White House state that "[it's] now the Senate's turn" to get it done when unable to even get the votes from the party its leader controls?

It sounds all so familiar.

mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with information light people from inside the bubble, its always going to be Obama's fault. Remember, they predicted a Romney landslide. Talked smack here for years.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
But with information light people from inside the bubble, its always going to be Obama's fault. Remember, they predicted a Romney landslide. Talked smack here for years.

"Remember, they predicted a Romney landslide. Talked smack here for years."

That was obviously Obama's fault.
_____

Happy New Year, Mac.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course Boehner, who leads so brilliantly, sent the House home. What is the saying, lead, follow, or get out of the way.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

BHO is already declaring victory
http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/01/white-house-declares-a-victory-153090.html
And it hasn't even been ratified yet, meaning, it doesn't matter to him which way it goes, just as long as he gets to drive.
Yeeeee-haaaaa!!!!!
'Fundamentally changing this country'.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that I don't know whether or not the last minute negotiated compromise yesterday was a good deal or a bad deal--for the country, for a balanced budget, for the economy, or for my own pocketbook. It certainly is not a good sign that after the election the two parties can sit down and reach a compromise that is based on the balance of power that each hold.

But I will hold my judgement to see what is good and bad about the actual legislation before I will accept either the spin of the Obama administration, or the movie-based attacks of the Obama haters. (I guess you have to rely on movies for metaphors if you don't read much.)

I will note that the latest Obama attacker, NW, seems strangely silent about the news this morning on Benghazi, where a panel with respected Republicans, not rushing to judgement, notes that the changes in talking points were made by the Security agencies (FBI and CIA), not by either the White House or the Department of State. Rather than confess to mild embarassment for their paranoia, they stay silent when their paranoia is outed. So consider the source.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-NW will stop watching FoxNews, and the Drudge Report and start thinking on his own.....NOT!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2014: Big mid-term election turnover.
Why?
Because a poll shows that the Congress is less favored by the American people than:
root canals,
head lice,
colonoscopies,
cockroaches, and even
France.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Th "End Times," not Reply with quote

The apocalypse isn’t going to happen. In the first century when Jesus was resurrected, people thought that the end of times had come, but no, there was more time left. The world didn’t end when Eusebius said it would after the end of the Holy Roman Empire. It didn’t end when Orosius of Aquitane said it would in the 5th century. Joachim of Fiore was wrong when he calculated the date at 1260. Martin Luther was wrong about Pope Leo X being the Antichrist. Preachers in New England such as the Mathers got it wrong too. In 1833 William Miller said it was about 10 years away. Pat Roberson put the date as 1982.

Anyway you get the picture. I could go on and on. More recently some clown predicted the end twice last year. The Mayan date of Dec. 21, 2012 came and went. Now another Mayan one, March 31, 2013 is coming upon us and yes, there will be more dates and more failed prophesies.

End of the world scenarios about global warming and peak oil will not come to pass either. Although these are real problem that we need to address, apocalyptic thinking, as in, “I will be proved right in the end,” will not solve our problems. Taking a stance on religious apocalypse or pseudo-scientific apocalypse puts us a odds with one another and gets in the way of the real work and solutions that need to be accomplished.

Remember Y2K; computers were going to go bonkers and cause worldwide calamities. But industry and government put billions into fixing the problem and we fixed it. Remember, the ozone problem; we got together and put a global ban on CFC’s and fixed the problem. The same will be true of weather climate change because we are an industrious people and up for the challenge.

So, I predict that there won’t be an Apocalypse, and Antichrist, Rapture, or Armageddon.

Credit were credit is due: Most of this stuff I got from “The Last Myth” by Mathew Barrett Gross and Mel Gilles, Prometheus Books, 2012.

It is my personal opinion that when we can see these apocalyptic myths, whether religious or secular for what they really are: extremist fantasies that titillate the mind, we will be able to more rationally deal with the real problems that we might face in the future. Problems of global warming, hyperinflation, and government oppression can be dealt with rationally when we take away the extreme edges of fantastical apocalyptic thinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: