myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
first ride on the exocet X-Cross 115
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: first ride on the exocet X-Cross 115 Reply with quote

wind was side on at about 14-22mph. i had to validate a 7.5 phantom prototype along with the board. the board exceeded my expectations compared to my experiences with the 130. might have been able to use a 6.2 or a 6.8 in that wind, but i did not have those sizes available. plus, i like to be lit.

planes well, but in a different manner than most other boards i've used

top ends great

wave rides well, better than one would imagine without trying first.

forces front side sections and mows thru flat sections to extend front side rides way beyond the abilities of all others but my long boards in these type of side on angles that we get really often here in florida

rides over chop better than i expected

neither the 115 nor the 130 are especially good at getting the rail to contribute to the pump to plane. both boards rely on wind strength or attack angles further down wind to plane. those rails give the ability to turn and jibe really well considering their board widths.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
nodak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in how this board compares to Cross IV? What are the main differences or similarities?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross IV is a more well rounded board that does well in surf, drag racing and free style with equal weight.

X-cross does flat water okay, but waves with more panache.

cross IV would be faster and better able to pump off the rails since they are taller near the mast base and the tail is less aggressively pulled in coming into the tail.

in extreme angles off the wind, when either blasting around or wave riding, the X-cross may have the edge especially in up and down conditions since the board is 75 cm wide.

the rocker release may be a bit more wave oriented on the X-cross as well, but i've not done the measurements to know for sure. it's on my list of techy crap to do....

nodak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cross IV 114L would be perfect to replace my aging F2 115L. Too bad those are not about to get marked down any time soon.

There are still some left over Cross III's out there at 25% off retail. I wonder how much more of a board I get by paying full retail for a '13 Cross IV?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer isn't necessarily better. While industry promotion is always focused on the newest models being better than ever, the changes or upgrades don't always support that. If I recollect correctly, Exocet has a program of upgrades every two years to keep costs under control and to improve buyer satisfaction. Also, often newer may only mean updated graphics and little more.

What I would do is read some of the board tests that review the '12 model, particularly if tested against other brands. Tests of this nature aren't always very critical, but they usually try to highlight those boards that stood out in the testing.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cross III 114 was a half year entry to the line. it was so impressive that patrice and co. designed the cross IV's based on the subtle changes made to that board. if you can grab a cross III 114 at 25% off, get it while you can. it's superb.
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your thoughts on the 130 with a soft 8.0 for a 220lb freerider familiar with this sort of soft rail/downwind technique from an evo wave board?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kareem abdul jabbar wave board. that's the 130. it needs some attention to fin sizing based on wind and waves. go larger than stock to get more out of the mast track when blasting around with a larger sail in flatter conditions. go aggressively small with the fin when wind and waves are big. board needs juice, despite its dimensions, so only sail size down when getting spanked. soft 8.0 would be ideal for this board. keep in mind that the overall performance is to pep up sludgy conditions. if you sail size down for wind do so begrudgingly. i've gotten about 20 wave sessions on the 130, it performs well if you are on your A game in applying a techy mind.

both models turn on a dime. for their width, it's had to believe a board could do so, but these do.

my first ride on the 115 was side on, and i was threshing down wind front sides and back side cut backs with great fun.

the 130 with an 8.0 in side off can be quite rewarding. i know, all the maui types' brains are squirming, "WTF????" sometimes, the wind is so shiddy, and the waves so good..... dunno why the wind is so much more dense in maui, it just is.

nodak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Cross III construction?

Given the option which would you get Cross III or Cross IV?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.exocet-original.com/archive.php

ii like either. the cross III has a heavier construction. i've both, like both. between you, your check book and availability, i guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: